U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM

20,933 posts, read 6,129,316 times

Advertisements

Maybe the HOA saving a few bucks:

"A water temperature of 120°F does not kill the Legionella bacteria; a minimum temperature of 140°F is required at which Legionellae dies in 32 minutes. Hence it is recommended that the water heater be set at a temperature of 140°F. "

Articles say that scale and sediment is a great growth substrate. Dollars to donuts most people and HOA's don't flush out their systems. I know most homeowners don't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,294,780 times
Because of HIPPA laws, the identities of those affected have not been revealed. It’s very possible that the pest control person could have gone into the clubhouse and used the restroom while he was in the neighborhood. We don’t have more details than that the water heater has been identified as the source, and all other water heaters have been tested. I never Thought there was hot water in any of the restroom sinks..it’s pretty common for there to be only cold water in public restrooms.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:25 AM

5,636 posts, read 8,995,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe the HOA saving a few bucks:

"A water temperature of 120°F does not kill the Legionella bacteria; a minimum temperature of 140°F is required at which Legionellae dies in 32 minutes. Hence it is recommended that the water heater be set at a temperature of 140°F. "

Articles say that scale and sediment is a great growth substrate. Dollars to donuts most people and HOA's don't flush out their systems. I know most homeowners don't.
When I replaced my home water heater, I read that most are factory set to 120. I think mine was actually a little less. I’ll be looking into how to raise it now.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:56 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,294,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
When I replaced my home water heater, I read that most are factory set to 120. I think mine was actually a little less. I’ll be looking into how to raise it now.
It’s easy to reset the temp on the water heater. If you have the book that came with it, the instructions will be in there. Or google it.

My water heater has 2 panels on the outside, each of which involved removing a screw to open the panel. Inside each panel, there is a flap of insulation which is easy to push aside, revealing the temp control dials. All that was necessary was to turn up the setting on BOTH dials.

Be careful to not get the water TOO hot, especially if you have children or elderly people in the home...it can easily reach scalding temp if set too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area