U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,060,413 times

Advertisements

I ran across this document on the floridarevenue.com website. The first paragraph reads:

Tax Information for New Residents. 12/17

General information about the most common tax obligations in Florida.

"You are considered a Florida resident ...
when your true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment is in Florida. Filing a declaration of domicile, qualifying for homestead exemption, or registering to vote in Florida can establish residency. Other actions, such as obtaining a Florida driver’s license, only indicate the intent to establish residency."

http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...t/gt800025.pdf

Does anyone know what "filing a declaration of domicile" is? I was under the impression that if a new resident in Florida obtained a driver's license (with all the identity and residency paperwork), that would suffice for someone to be considered a Florida resident. Apparently that is only the "intent to establish residency."

What else do new residents have to do, especially if they are renters and not purchasing property? Is there a separate document called "declaration of domicile" that has to be filed at the tax office? I haven't been able to locate it on any website.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,154,802 times
Scroll down on the link below for information on Sarasota County Declaration of Domocile. You can print out a form.

County Recorder: Official Records | SarasotaClerk.com

This law site gives more info on a declaration of domicile in FL.

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-be...cially-3505215

It sounds like it may be helpful if you have a home in another state.
It is a legal document that:
Defines where you reside and intend to maintain your permanent and principal home.
Declares that you are a bona fide resident of the State of Florida.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-26-2018 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 AM

1,204 posts, read 911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil badlley View Post
Look, most people that move here do NOT file this document...it's helpful however if you have multiple residences or businesses and wish to officially declare which taxable jurisdiction you're subject to...

Even though I filed one years and years ago, I don't know anyone else in my circle of family and friends who have done so.

The possible downside is that if you move again, you should file another one in THAT state, because you've already filed a legal document/affidavit as being true....of course you can declare/amend to be legal property owners in two or more states, and provide that information to the clerk of the court.

Really, these days, there might not be any advantage in filing one...well....no distinct advantage as far as my own case
Anyone who wants to establish eligibility for Homestead Exemption, or as the first step toward establishing legal residence in Florida signs this document at the tax office or mails a notarized form in. MOST people DO file for it and you DON'T need multiple residences.

The advantage is lowered property taxes. You can only claim residence in ONE state.

Anyone moving to Florida is smart enough to know this. Long time residents, not so much

Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the good responses on this thread. Great info. The link from the estate attorney's website below states that:

"Although signing and recording a Florida Declaration of Domicile is not required to establish your Florida residency, it does put the public on notice that you have indeed made Florida your permanent home."

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-be...cially-3505215

It appears that this is most useful for residents who have multiple residences in different states and who want to declare Florida as their permanent domicile for tax purposes. That might be the impetus behind the form itself. I've not seen it in any other states where I've lived.

One hassle is if you move within Florida and change your address, you need to refile a new form, get it notarized and pay the fee.

As a renter without multiple properties in different states, it's probably less important to file it, but it still might be a good idea. I have no intention of purchasing property in Florida, and I don't own property in Michigan.

When I have moved to other states as a permanent resident in those states, getting a driver's license, registering a car, registering to vote, etc, were all part of "establishing residency" as far as the state taxing officials were concerned. I think I recall having to document when I registered the car on state tax forms as a "part-year resident" in a couple places I've lived, when I was making the transition. All of the state and federal tax agencies have access to DMV data, so their systems can match up state and federal returns with car registrations and driver's licenses.

I think Florida is unique in that many people have homes in Florida and potentially also in another state. The "other" state will likely want to continue to collect state income taxes (if levied) on a resident who also has a home in Florida, but does not reside in Florida for at least 6 months of the year (I'm guessing on the 6 month requirement, didn't see that number online). Filing a domicile form in Florida would help establish Florida residency for tax purposes in other states where homes may be located. There may be former states of residence that come after people for state income taxes when they "move" to Florida if there are questions about how many months they reside in Florida per year.

As mentioned above, I didn't see any mention of a minimum number of months to reside in Florida full time to qualify for residency. Usually it's 6 months out of the year, at least for several other states I've lived in, but Florida may have different requirements.

Anyone know if it's a minimum of 6 months to qualify for Florida residency?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Anyone know if it's a minimum of 6 months to qualify for Florida residency?
The six months rule only comes into play when you have another residence out of state.

You'll need to fulfill the basic residency requirements by getting a Florida drivers license, get Florida car insurance and register your out-of-state car, and register to vote.

You can register to vote at the same place you get your drivers licence (tax office) but you must have insurance first to reg the car.

Wiki-how will give you more complete info if you're interested.

BTW, beware of people who claim to be something they're not whether it's wall streeters, lawyers or whatever. Florida is full of shysters.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
The six months rule only comes into play when you have another residence out of state.

You'll need to fulfill the basic residency requirements by getting a Florida drivers license, get Florida car insurance and register your out-of-state car, and register to vote.

You can register to vote at the same place you get your drivers licence (tax office) but you must have insurance first to reg the car.

Wiki-how will give you more complete info if you're interested.

BTW, beware of people who claim to be something they're not whether it's wall streeters, lawyers or whatever. Florida is full of shysters.
Thanks for the good info!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Florida is full of shysters.
LOL Isn't there a saying that Florida is full of "schemers and dreamers?" I've lived in 7 different states, and each one had it's share, unfortunately. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area