Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 11,136 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have two boys (twins) in middle school in florida . They r into tennis big time . They have good state as well as national ranking .I am thinking of homeschooling them next yr(9th grade)with florida virtual school. Can anybody guide me with this ? Will they have a problem getting into UF later for homeschooling? How is florida virtual school? I am foregoing their admission into IB. I am kind of confused whether to pursue their career in tennis or focus on academics . They r straight A Honors students. If anybody can guide me with tennis career I would appreciate it. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 AM

774 posts, read 2,381,999 times
There are tennis academies in florida which you could check out:

Saddlebrook is in Wesley Chapel (just North of Tampa)- they have a school there plus intense tennis training.

Bolleterri Academy is in Bradenton- and they have the same thing.

Numerous professional players including Maria Sharapova, Justin Henin, etc. have either gotten their start there or trained there.

If your sons are good enough (and this is intensely competitive), you can get a company to sponsor them... it's a contract where they put up money now against future money your boys make professionally. That's how Sharapova got her start.

I've been to Saddlebrook several times and met some of the kids who aren't necessarily good enough to be pro players but will get a tennis scholarship to a Division II school.

Mikey

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Good advice Mickey, there have been several tennis stars to come out of the Bolleterri Tennis Academy in Bradenton.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
I work for a Private school closely associated with IMG academies. We are located in Bradenton Florida. IMG is an international sports school specializing in Tennis and Golf. Maria Sharapova, Andre Agassi, and Anna K went there and also attended our school. Bradenton is Beautiful if you've never been.. The students can attend IMG (but be prepared to pay..) in the afternoons to "practice" tennis while they take morning classes at Pendleton (their on school campus) or another nearby private school.. THe school I work for also has a great tennis team with one of the coaches working for IMG. Look up IMG academies on the net. The former poster suggested Bolletierri academy which is the tennis academy at IMG

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,136 times
Default help please

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I live in bradenton about 30mts from IMG. My only problem is IMG fees are way......tooo high & spending for two boys at the same time is going to cut a big hole in my pocket . If anyone knows of any coach personally who can sincerely work with my boys at a reasonable rate & help me get a sponsor , I will really be grateful . In 14's their ranking is around 40's & nationally they are around 200. Tennis is a very expensive sport & coaches here are just after money . They help people who can spend a lot of money on coaching. I badly need sponsors . I anybody can help pleaseeeee help my sons. Thx

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
I'll ask our coach here if he's up for it-- IM not sure if he does personal lessons though

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,999 times
The only other thing that comes to mind is sending them to a high school that has a really good tennis program and seeing if the coach there can steer them in the right direction.

Also, if they do well enough in juniors tournaments they'll start to get noticed.
Since they're good students, they'll likely get scholarships that can pay for their college education.

Keep in mind, even if you had all the money in the world, tennis is a HUGE sport internationally....the biggest sport next to soccer in many countries (unlike the U.S.). The competition as someone moves up the food chain is fierce...to say the least.

I'd encourage them as much as you can, but keep reinforcing how important education is.

Hope that helps,

Mikey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area