Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,264 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any advice or information you have to share:

The Mrs. and I will be relocating to Bradenton, (Palma Sola area) in one month. It looks like our best bet for High-speed internet may be Frontier Fios. As I understand it, they used to be Verizon, but there has been some kind of changeover.

I need reliable high-speed, (50mbps or better) as I often work from home with large media files. Does anyone have any experience with Frontier, or care to recommend another provider they feel is reliable? I have Xfinity now, in a major city, and they have generally been fine, but at least according to their web-site, they do not service that area.

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:57 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
You might want to check out Spectrum (previously Bright House): https://www.spectrum.com/services/florida/bradenton

Old 03-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I have Frontier and it is pretty good but not perfect. I can’t say for sure that it’s not my router but I do have moments when the speed drops or it is out completely. It never lasts long but it is annoying.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:02 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
Service-wise, Frontier Fios is fine (yes formerly Verizon), Charter Spectrum is fine, Comcast Xfinity is fine. They will all have a variety of speed packages to choose from, and should deliver consistently.

Where people have problems is with pricing, or introductory rates expiring, or poor phone service. I don't think there's a clear-cut winner in this regard. So you either pick-your-poison and just stick with them, or switch providers every couple years to keep taking advantage of each one's "introductory rate".

Personally, I've had Frontier Fios for two years at two different houses, and the service has been solid.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Between this and a Manasota forum on Reddit, it seems like the preponderance of opinion leans slightly towards Frontier. I like the idea of symmetric fiber, and cat-5 from the box. I think I'll start there.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
if you live ina hoa contrilled development, you'll be stuck with the company they have contracted for. Else, you may have to go with a satellite provider, since the wiring infrastructure will be controlled by the company.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 9,939 times
We have had Spectrum and I have noticed that our bill keeps getting higher and higher. The internet is spotty so I wouldn't suggest them. There is Verizon Fios also depending on the area you will be in as well.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
if you live ina hoa contrilled development, you'll be stuck with the company they have contracted for. Else, you may have to go with a satellite provider, since the wiring infrastructure will be controlled by the company.
Note that this definitely varies by neighborhood and HOA. Some contract with one provider, some include internet in your HOA dues. Others don't do anything and it's all up to you. We have a new neighborhood, and everyone gets their own provider; HOA is totally out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: