Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 18,242 times

Advertisements

Ideally these configurations DO tend to work....but with people who know how to safely negotiate them..90% of these drivers have never seen ANY test questions on this traffic device since they got their damn driver's licenses YEARS earlier....or even on recent FL DMV tests!, so nobody as residents here knows a damn thing....not to mention th idiots from rural Michigan, rural Indiana, or the cornfields of Iowa, or the backwoods of Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 PM

144 posts, read 94,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3Bmodem View Post
Ideally these configurations DO tend to work....but with people who know how to safely negotiate them..90% of these drivers have never seen ANY test questions on this traffic device since they got their damn driver's licenses YEARS earlier....or even on recent FL DMV tests!, so nobody as residents here knows a damn thing....not to mention th idiots from rural Michigan, rural Indiana, or the cornfields of Iowa, or the backwoods of Maine.
The more I learn about two lane roundabouts, the more concerned I am about this particular design for this intersection.

I think a much more suitable design is what's called a Turbo roundabout. Here's the wiki entry. It's written in Dutch, but translates to English (at least for me).

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turborotonde

The big problem with traditional two-lane roundabouts are cross-conflicts and flank collisions. Europe solved that problem with this newer design that funnels traffic into a spiral pattern.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM

733 posts, read 760,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-fan View Post
The more I learn about two lane roundabouts, the more concerned I am about this particular design for this intersection.

I think a much more suitable design is what's called a Turbo roundabout. Here's the wiki entry. It's written in Dutch, but translates to English (at least for me).

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turborotonde

The big problem with traditional two-lane roundabouts are cross-conflicts and flank collisions. Europe solved that problem with this newer design that funnels traffic into a spiral pattern.
That's an interesting design. Looking at it closely, it has two lanes running north-south, but only one lane in the roundabout running east-west. So it looks to be suitable for an intersection between a main road and a lesser side road.

The Venice-Jacaranda intersection has two full lanes running both directions, so I don't think that design would work there. But certainly something like this could work on this post's intersection, if you give Honore the two lanes and Central Sarasota Pkwy the one lane.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
That's an interesting design. Looking at it closely, it has two lanes running north-south, but only one lane in the roundabout running east-west. So it looks to be suitable for an intersection between a main road and a lesser side road.

The Venice-Jacaranda intersection has two full lanes running both directions, so I don't think that design would work there. But certainly something like this could work on this post's intersection, if you give Honore the two lanes and Central Sarasota Pkwy the one lane.
Yes, this design designates directions with more traffic capacity. Four lanes (counting each direction as a separate lane) for Honore and three lanes (two exiting, one entering) for CSP, and the development across from it.

When I spoke to the Honore-CSP roundabout project manager, he gave Venice-Jacaranda as an example of a well running two lane roundabout (after the changes). When I read:

Safety changes eyed for Venice roundabout - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

it sounds like the safety changes were designed to restrict traffic on Venice. I've never driven those roads. What have they done to make that intersection safer?

Edit, looking at this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtGFiaKKOI

it looks like they restricted it to one lane in part of the circle. Same design as they are doing at CSP-Honore.

Last edited by tennis-fan; 04-03-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 06:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
U.S. 41/Ringling-Gulf Stream prediction. Because of the amount of traffic that goes through that intersection on a daily basis, the new so called 'roundabout' will be total chaos and gridlock. Traffic on U.S. 41 will back up to Mound St on the south and 12th St on the north. Traffic coming from Lido will back up over the bridge. A 25 foot circle in the middle of that intersection is not going to work.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
U.S. 41/Ringling-Gulf Stream prediction.
That a very different situation, and off-topic.

I just read in

https://www.yourobserver.com/article...her-roundabout

that the primary reason for this roundabout is complaints about speeding:

Quote:
Palmer Ranch residents may soon get a break from speeding vehicles on Honore Avenue.

Palmer Ranch Holdings Ltd. has hired engineering firm Stantec to install a new roundabout at Honore and Central Sarasota Parkway to control speeding on both roads.

Frank Domingo, senior project manager at Stantec speaking on behalf of Palmer Ranch, said the Palmer Ranch Master Association had received complaints about speeding near the intersection.

Sarasota County spokesman Jason Bartolone said the county has also received complaints.
They later state that the intersection might have eventually needed a signal for traffic volume.

That makes it more disappointing to me that they didn't consider the safer implementation of a turbo roundabout, which guides drivers to safer roundabout exiting.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the "old frumps" that complained about speeding end up being the ones that are confused and end up in cross-conflict accidents.

What's really sad, is that if CSP-Honore is closed from an accident, all access to civilization is basically cut off from the south side of Honore.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
^^^^
'what's really sad' is spending $3 million of tax payer dollars to satisfy the complaints of a few seniors complaining about 'speeding'.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
^^^^
'what's really sad' is spending $3 million of tax payer dollars to satisfy the complaints of a few seniors complaining about 'speeding'.
Where did you get that number? From the article I referenced:

Quote:
If approved, the project will go out to bid this winter, and construction will start after Easter. Construction will take approximately nine months and cost between $700,000 to $800,000.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM

197 posts, read 182,993 times
Quote:
^^^^
What's sadder is the cost is no where near $3 million, can you post a link to where that number is mentioned? Were you at the meetings d4g4m? It was all young people bitching about issues getting onto Honore.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,943 times
It's a good thing. My husband and I have lived in several states because of his career, one of them being Ohio. We lived in Dublin, OH where the first circle or two are taught to the general public via television, newspapers and mail to train people how to navigate a circle. The first one was built at Muirfield Drive and Avery Road. It was previously a 4 way stop.

One day, a young mother was crashed into, the back of her mini van, some observant person ran the stop sign. Her four year old son died in the back seat died. Therefore, Dublin's engineering folks did a study and found that although there would still be accidents, they are typically not fatal.

Now if Floridians or visitors to Florida would just mind the "yield", "stop" and "red lights", that would be great beacause this is the first place I've lived where I can't believe how often people run red lights and stop signs and the word "yield"...hummm I was taught here in Florida, always wait until the cross traffic stops at a red light because they are often just ignored.

By the way, in recent years, there's been a lot of accidents at the intersection, not to mention people driving 65 - 70 mph.

Last edited by dutchgirl33; 05-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area