Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 10,831 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are going to the Sarasota area in April to check out neighborhoods and schools.
We have 3 children, 5, 12 and 14.
They have only attended a private Catholic school.
Our focus at this point is for our 14 year old, going into high school.
He has A D D and executive function. We are looking for the best fit for him. We are not sure if public high school, private, homeschool or virtual school. Would appreciate feedback with high schools. Pineview is the #1 ranked, it seems this school only services the gifted.

Looking at Palmer Ranch more and more based on our lifestyle.
I haven't moved in 16 years, I don't even know where to start.

Thank you,
jklmw311
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I have a son with ADHD and Aspergers - the Sarasota public schools are good for children with no problems (my other son is in Pine View) - but - the school system is terrible for a child with a disability - just terrible!

There is a Catholic School in Sarasota - Bishop Nevens Academy - not sure how they are but probably MUCH better than public school - they also have a beautiful special needs division for ADHD - "Dreams are Free" school - but it only goes up to Middle School

There are a few special needs schools in the Sarasota area - google it - we found a very good one - you can PM me for details.

Options around here are limited though - Tampa is where there are more schools for ADD.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,007 times
You are starting in the right area - find the schools that fit the kids and then look for a place to call home. I moved quite a few times while raising three kids and found that to be the best route. I would look into the Tampa area, like Nancy in Nokomis suggested. I, too, have a child with ADD and dyslexia. By the time I moved here, he was out of high school. He attends SCF for college courses and they do honor his IEP.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,007 times
You might want to give Lemon Bay High School in Englewood a call to see if they have programs. I recall someone telling me they do.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM

13 posts, read 9,938 times
I have been considering home schooling myself, I don't have much to suggest about a high school aged child, however, there are a lot of support and informational groups on facebook regarding homeschooling, unschooling, and virtual schools in Florida. Let me know if you have any questions about the groups and I can direct you!

Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 AM

Thank you everyone for taking time to post. This is a scary and exciting new chapter.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,843 times
We are in a similar situation looking in/around Sarasota - but a year shy of HS - my son is gifted, but ADHD with executive functioning weaknesses. He has an IEP, but it is implemented weakly here (& we are currently in what is supposed to be a STRONG district in VA) - in addition to the fact that the academics are quite rigorous. I think communication with the school/teachers is going to be paramount regardless of where you go. An awesome school by reputation doesn’t always mean they are great with the art of teaching. Around here, the private schools aren’t as great with kids outside the average, but maybe I need to look again in FL. And most often (we move around a bit) - I find you don’t really know until you are in it. Our last school district was a highly acclaimed district in MD & was good for my older one (the one with ADHD - but mostly because the TEACHER he had was great), but simply awful for my younger who has hearing loss. I wouldn’t have expected that based on my older’s experience & the reputation of the school. We have narrowed our search down to certain high schools’ attendance areas & will pay close attention as school begins how the IEPs are implemented - there seem to be a lot of other homeschool & cyber options as swainswellsflorida mentioned (& I was a teacher/administrator prior to our last 2 moves) so I feel like there is a back up option. I’ll be reading the feedback you get, though! :-)

Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 AM

thank you for your insight.
I will keep you posted. I am super excited we head down there this week to check everything out.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 AM

20 posts, read 22,509 times
That is so exciting that you are coming to check out the area! I could help with lower schools because my son has similar challenges, but I am unfamiliar with the local high schools as he is younger.
However there is a former school psychologist that does private practice now that was incredibly helpful in matching us with a school. Her name is Marilyn Reynolds and she consults for a lot of schools in the area so maybe she could help you.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 AM
mba

22 posts, read 30,182 times
5florida5 - we have the same challenges with a younger child as well (upper elementary) - moving into the area this summer - have you had a positive experience with any particular school that should be explored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area