U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 PM

88 posts, read 292,198 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from the Denver area to somewhere in the Sarasota area for the next couple of years. I had been looking at St. Pete but it seems like Sarasota is less crowded, has better beaches and a friendlier vibe.

I am looking for a smallish house (1200-1500 sq ft) in the $250K range in a safe or gated community that allows all dog sizes and will allow a fenced back yard. I like quiet neighborhoods and don't mind driving to the beach. I would love to be in a family and pet friendly neighborhood with bike and walking paths, parks and the like.

I am not sure where to start my search so I am posting here first in hopes I can get some ideas.

Also, something that is not in a flood plain that I can insure for a reasonable amount.

HOA's? Only if they are a reasonable yearly amount.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Althea; 05-11-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM

25 posts, read 22,140 times
Hi Althea,

Have you looked into the Venice area? It's just south of Sarasota and looks like it might check all your boxes, plus there's a dog beach too! An area to look at would be South Venice, which isn't a gated community so you can have fences and there aren't any pet restrictions. The other plus also is that as a homeowner you can join their optional HOA, which gives you access to their deeded beach that you can get to via the South Venice Beach Ferry or you're within about 20 minutes of 7 other beaches, that are going to be less crowded than Sarasota's beaches.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 10,457 times
Default Safety

Hello...we are in a similar boat! Looking for a reasonably priced house, dog and family friendly, etc. We visited the South Venice area last year and really liked the proximity to the beach and the ability to have a fence, etc. Can you tell me if it's a pretty safe community though? Thanks!

Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM

3,900 posts, read 5,844,878 times
A good real estate agent is familiar with the neighborhoods where he or she shows properties. But because of the Fair Housing Act, the agent can't legally share all of that information with you. Many people ask about "safe" neighborhoods but the definition of safe is subjective, your definition of safe may not be the same as another person's, and answering questions about "safe" neighborhoods may actually put us agents in violation of the Fair Housing laws as it may pinpoint a certain class of people.

That's why we real estate agents cannot commenting on safe neighborhood questions other than to point you towards local police/sheriff offices for statistics or demographic web sites that track crime statistics such as www.crimemapping.com or the data tracking stats here on City-Data.

One way to know if a neighborhood is right for you is to drive through the neighborhood at say 8 - 9 am and again at 5 pm - 8 pm. Stop and ask the neighbors questions about the neighborhood. Are the neighbors friendly? What do you like about living here? What don't you like about living here? You may be surprised what neighbors will say when asked.

Once you have determined areas that meet your definition of safe, then your agent can help you find neighborhoods within that specific area that meet your other criteria.

The bottom line is that we agents want to help buyers find properties that meet their needs, and we will answer all of your questions that we can...... as long as answering your questions does not put us in violation of federal housing laws.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:49 PM

3,900 posts, read 5,844,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea View Post
I am considering moving from the Denver area to somewhere in the Sarasota area for the next couple of years. I had been looking at St. Pete but it seems like Sarasota is less crowded, has better beaches and a friendlier vibe.

I am looking for a smallish house (1200-1500 sq ft) in the $250K range in a safe or gated community that allows all dog sizes and will allow a fenced back yard. I like quiet neighborhoods and don't mind driving to the beach. I would love to be in a family and pet friendly neighborhood with bike and walking paths, parks and the like.

I am not sure where to start my search so I am posting here first in hopes I can get some ideas.

Also, something that is not in a flood plain that I can insure for a reasonable amount.

HOA's? Only if they are a reasonable yearly amount.

Thanks so much.

Hello,

Not knowing specifically what you consider a reasonable yearly HOA fee, here are some options within your budget and size criteria that are dog friendly in that they either have dog parks or are near parks where you can walk your dog. Fencing is allowed in general, but please note that some HOAs do not allow owners to fence back yards if they back up to lakes or preserve areas (i.e. wooded).

Greenbrook Village in Lakewood Ranch -- no specific neighborhood amenities but it is very close to a community park and LWR has a lot of walking trails. Fencing guidelines on type of fence, which lots can be fenced (no fencing if you back up to lake or preserve).

Summerfield Village in Lakewood Ranch -- no specific neighborhood amenities but it is very close to a community park and walking trails. Fencing guidelines on type of fence, which lots can be fenced (no fencing if you back up to lake or preserve).

Those 2 communities do have deed restrictions limiting pets to 2 per household.

Central Park in Lakewood Ranch -- 2 dog parks (one for large, one for small dogs). Gated community with community park, sports courts, picnic area, etc so the HOA fees are higher than the first two. HOA rules state homeowners are allowed a "reasonable" number of pets per household. Fencing is allowed but you have to follow the fencing guidelines on type of fence, etc.

The above communities are all in south Manatee county, east of I-75.

In Sarasota:

Tamaron -- preserve area with shelled paths for walking, benches, lake. Fencing allowed, has to be approved by HOA.

Arlington Park area -- zip code 34239. Several small neighborhoods near Arlington Park, which has a walking trail winding thru it. No HOAs, so city property standards. Homes are a mix of everything from old bungalows to new construction. Fencing guidelines per city code.

Venice area:

Stoneybrook -- gated, great amenities including park area, HOA fees run about $460/quarter. Fencing per HOA guidelines.

Venice Gardens -- south Venice area (34293), has an optional South Venice Civic Association with small fee/year. No deed restrictions, so property standards can vary. Community pool.

Venice East -- same general area, near Woodmere Dog Park.

South Venice -- not deed restricted. You can pay an annual fee for access to the private island by ferry, boat ramp, etc. Because it's not deed restricted you will see a mix of property standards. Near Shamrock park.

Please note that a number of south Venice properties are on well water and septic tanks or public water and septic tanks.

Last but not least, Sarasota county has a web page listing the various dog parks in our area. Using that info, you can also search for other neighborhoods near the various dog parks that may work for you as well:

https://www.scgov.net/government/par...elamenityid-14

Old 05-20-2018, 03:08 PM

176 posts, read 177,775 times
Neighborhoods that allow dogs of any size will be slightly less safe then those that don't.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,854,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
Neighborhoods that allow dogs of any size will be slightly less safe then those that don't.
Is this borne out by the crime stats maps? I've never heard this before.

We had a chessie, friends have a golden doodle - fairly big (70 lb) dogs and I don't see how they make a place less safe.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 AM

242 posts, read 224,215 times
Hi! Just returned home from our annual pilgrimage in Venice, where we plan to relocate. I'm not a realtor but I'm from Philadelphia. There are areas of Philly I would call UNSAFE. Not South Venice (in comparison). Love Denver BTW. we also spend a lot of time in CO. South Venice IMO (and this is only an opinion) is what I'd call working class with a fair number of retirees. We have driven through there, and walked in Shamrock Park. While we are looking for something a bit more upscale ourselves, we saw nice ordinary people walking the paths and streets, playing with their kids in the park, talking to their neighbors.

The fence/dog thing is a tough issue. It's not just are pets "allowed" in many cases there is a size restriction. Like "no more than 2 pets, up to 20 pounds each"! All over Venice we saw people walking "Beanie Babies". Being Golden Retriever fans (I like a dog big enough to ride, ha ha) this is a struggle.

Now, that being said, please stop recommending Venice! (joking!) There are seriously more people there every year we go down! Shhhhh! Venice? What Venice? Italy! You mean move to Italy!

PS. I get a big kick out of the SOUTH Venice Yacht Club! It's a social group where you "don't have to own a yacht"!

Last edited by PBToast; 05-21-2018 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: add PS

Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM

176 posts, read 177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Is this borne out by the crime stats maps? I've never heard this before.

We had a chessie, friends have a golden doodle - fairly big (70 lb) dogs and I don't see how they make a place less safe.
No, not crime Stats. Liability insurance Stats. Bites & mauling. Rates reflect this. Not a show stopper in my book.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 PM

12 posts, read 13,479 times
Most neighborhoods that are 10-15 years or older allow dogs and fences. It's the 250K that will make your search harder as prices are going up.

Deer Hollow and The Woods are safe and don't have any pet restrictions. The smaller houses (1000 - 1400 sq ft) are in that range. The larger houses go for a bit more. They are also very close to Benderson Park where you can bring your dog on a leash and a short drive the other direction is an off-lead dog park. Deer Hollow is $330 per year HOA. Not sure about The Woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area