Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

42 posts, read 74,878 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is strongly considering a relocation to LWR. We are looking at one possible resale home in Summerfield.

1. Does Summerfield considered part of LWR (I think so, but not sure?)

2. Does Summerfield have any amenities itself?

3. If Summerfield does NOT have it's own pool, are there any pools in LWR we could 'join'? We live in MD in a community with it's own pool and it is a big part of our community and I would want to find something like that in LWR.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Summerfield is the first of the Villages in Lakewood Ranch. The homes are older but many have been updated.
There is no community pool unless the property you are considering is located in a small maintenance-free neighborhood called Summerfield Forest. This is the only Summerfield neighborhood with a pool. However, you can join the Country Club Athletic Center and use their pools or you can join the YMCA (located by the high school) if you want to use their pool.

Summerfield has several trails, a nice park that offers soccer, playgrounds, a covered patio area, tennis courts, and a baseball field, and another park that leads to trails that join with Greenbrook, the dog park, and some lakes.

There are newer communities that have community pools elsewhere in the Ranch.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Thank you, bbronston! This is helpful. The house we were looking at is not in Summerfield Forest. I think it is Summerfield Village. I will look into the Y since my kids are year round swimmers. Thanks a ton!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 AM

30 posts, read 31,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalen View Post
Hello,

My family is strongly considering a relocation to LWR. We are looking at one possible resale home in Summerfield.

1. Does Summerfield considered part of LWR (I think so, but not sure?)

2. Does Summerfield have any amenities itself?

3. If Summerfield does NOT have it's own pool, are there any pools in LWR we could 'join'? We live in MD in a community with it's own pool and it is a big part of our community and I would want to find something like that in LWR.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Skip Lakewood Ranch's SUMMERFIELD, there are better, newer and in some cases CHEAPER communities that are popping up all around SE Manatee County.

BEWARE of extremely high 'CDD fees' and HOA fees, it ain't worth the additional 'tax'. Do your homework and trust no one. Be informed, demand all disclosures.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
CDD fees in Summerfield Village run from below $1000 to about $1300 per year on the high end. However, the HOA fees run around $100 a year, which is not expensive.

Regarding HOA fees: if a community is gated and has lots of amenities such as a clubhouse, community pool, tennis or other sports courts, etc then the HOA fees will by necessity be higher as the HOA needs to cover the maintenance and repairs for all of those community amenities, Lakewood Ranch or not.

One thing I would suggest to anyone looking to buy in Lakewood Ranch within the 34202 zip code is to read the deed restrictions carefully before writing an offer on a home to see whether your lifestyle meshes with the deed restrictions, as some of those are quite detailed in regards to exterior of your home/ lawn. Pets are also restricted to 2 per household. To some buyers the restrictions are great because it keeps continuity throughout the neighborhoods. To others, the restrictions are too limiting to their individuality. But the time to decide if you can live with those restrictions is BEFORE you commit to buying a home.

The deed restrictions can be found on the LWR Town Hall site: LWR: HOA
under documents, homeowners manual, SRVA homeowners manual.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Good Advice. READ and comprehend all of the separate docs for YOURSELVES. Never rely on verbal reps and warrants made by any one or a sales person. If you have an unclear understanding of what the docs are asserting, consult an attorney, not a sales person or a current resident or current owner. Keep in mind, a sales person or seller is NOT a fiduciary or acting in your best interest. They all are transaction oriented. That's it, the bottom line. READ all docs and always ask the HOA are there any NEW amendments that have not been published yet.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Forgot...also ask for a past budget, and any new detailed proposed budget. You might not like what you see in some of these LWR communities (e.g. special assessments for "re marciting the huge pool" or "replacement of the tennis courts")

BEWARE.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreque View Post
Skip Lakewood Ranch's SUMMERFIELD, there are better, newer and in some cases CHEAPER communities that are popping up all around SE Manatee County.

BEWARE of extremely high 'CDD fees' and HOA fees, it ain't worth the additional 'tax'. Do your homework and trust no one. Be informed, demand all disclosures.

Thank you - any suggestions? We want at least a community with .20 lot sizes and close proximity to good schools and pools/rec facilities. Would love a private pool ourselves at some point.

We have one dog (Golden Retriever). I would rather have a community that allows fences in the back but we have an electric fence in Baltimore so my dog is accustomed to that if need be when we relocate.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Most of Lakewood Ranch allows fenced yards if the lot is not on a lake or in a maintenance-free area. There are restrictions on the color, type, material, etc. in different communities and it is always wise to review the appropriate association rules and documents. In fact, the Florida Realtors standard contracts all include language advising buyers that they should be aware of this and the state-mandated HOA disclosure addendum has even more info on the subject. In cases where the community doesn't have a dedicated website with the association docs available, I've had success in finding the recorded docs on the Manatee Clerk of Court website or contacting the management company, if there is one.

I completely disagree with the blanket suggestion that you should skip Summerfield. Obviously, there are other areas both in and out of Lakewood Ranch, including new construction areas, but Summerfield has several benefits, too. It makes zero sense to dismiss a complete village barring an objective reason that disqualifies the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area