Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Retirement forum (since it will take a big chunk of my retirement savings) or here (where people are more familiar with hurricanes). Anyway, I went with "here", so here goes:

I live in a condo with the original windows, probably 30 years old. I'm not having any problems with them, knock wood -- no leaks and, with the dark tint installed by a previous owner, they seem to keep the (southern-exposure) place fairly cool, and I don't have any noise issues. I never open them except to clean them and air the place out, a few times a year, and that's the only time I notice how rickety they are. They look fine from the outside.

Anyway, Irma scared me though. Despite being in a non-mandatory-evacuation zone, I went to a shelter because I was too afraid the windows would blow out if the winds were as predicted (they weren't). Now that hurricane season is upon us, I'm thinking maybe I should replace them with hurricane-impact windows so I don't have that worry again. HOWEVER, this is going to take a huge chunk of money and I'm retired. Haven't gotten the quote yet but let's say it's $10,000. Some things that are making me think twice are:
  • You know how sometimes you create a problem where there wasn't one before? (leaks, heat coming through, etc.)
  • No guarantee that if a hurricane hits us directly, the new windows will mean no damage. Or that I won't have to evacuate anyway.
  • If I sold this place, I would not get $10K extra because of the new windows. And while I think I'll be here forever, I DO have a tendency to move a LOT. Seven years is usually my limit...and I'm going on five here.
  • The windows survived Charlie and Ivan back in 2004, which were the closest direct hits. I would say a majority of the condos in this 300-unit complex have their original windows.

The "pro", of course, is that I would have MUCH more peace of mind if hurricane-force winds were headed this way.

OK, so what do you guys think, especially retirees on fixed incomes without a HUGE retirement fund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 11,010 times
Nay, wouldn't do it, unless a real problem actually exists , not an imaginary problem or possible problem.
If you're scardy-cat during a storm get some plywood cut to size for each window on the inside of the window since the condo association would have to approve anything on the outside. Pretty easy to devise a cheap inside, screw down brace system for inside the window sills, say top and bottom.

At least a 1/2 inch 3 or 4 ply CD plywood would do the trick....if you're really paranoid, use 3/4 inch AC or BC pine or the more expensive birch. Nothing is going to breach that window if installed properly.

I doubt it would cost you $500 to develop and install a system like that.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 11,010 times
Keep in mind since you stated you moved a lot, you could use the same 10k in buying a new place or on upgrades, amenities or even a second vehicle. If you're going to stay a while then that's another story. Also keep in mind you need to get new permits for the windows, & inspections.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I guess you are sure the windows are your responsibility versus the condo association's responsibility.

Anyway, I vote no. The roof is just as much risk as the windows since the place is over 30 years old.

Besides, even if you got new windows, other condos in the same building could have old windows. If their windows break out during a hurricane, it could cause all the units in the same building to have damage because once the windows go, the roof of the unit and building can go too. Although the roof can be damage even if no window damage.

When selling, you'll be comped against other units in the complex and won't get much more, if anything, from the windows.

Last edited by sware2cod; 06-01-2018 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I guess you are sure the windows are your responsibility versus the condo association's responsibility.

Anyway, I vote no. The roof is just as much risk as the windows since the place is over 30 years old.

Besides, even if you got new windows, other condos in the same building could have old windows. If their windows break out during a hurricane, it could cause all the units in the same building to have damage because once the windows go, the roof of the unit and building can go too. Although the roof can be damage even if no window damage.

When selling, you'll be comped against other units in the complex and won't get much more, if anything, from the windows.
Right -- the windows are definitely our responsibility. I am in a single-story "quad" building with concrete walls, four units attached in the middle. I know the neighbor next to me just had new windows installed, and the one behind me has newish windows. Some of the folks in the other buildings have had their windows replaced and some haven't. I will have to drill down further on why these people chose to replace the windows -- were they leaking? I think my condo is in a good position -- the front of my unit faces south, and the side with windows faces the building next-door, so I think that's protected me from leaks (knock wood).

As far as the roof is concerned, it was replaced last year. That didn't stop us from feeling vulnerable to the roof blowing off, so my other neighbors went to another unit in our complex in a high-rise building, where they weren't directly under the roof. (I have two dogs so I took them to the school/shelter around the corner.)

I did get the quote and as I suspected, it's around $10K....part of the reason is that one of the windows is a slider.

Thanks for the input so far, please keep 'em coming!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
As far as the roof is concerned, it was replaced last year. That didn't stop us from feeling vulnerable to the roof blowing off

About roof blowing off due to hurricane. It's not so much the material that's over the roof's wood decking which is likely what was replaced last year, but it's the actual entire roof decking and how it's attached to the building that's at risk. There are hurricane straps along all sides of the building which attach to the roof's wood trusses. These hold the actual roof in place if a strong storm. Maybe your building has hurricane straps that are good. I guess it depends on the age as well as any updates that were done afterwords. The newer properties had more strict guidelines on the attachment of the straps and attachment of the roof decking (the wood under the roof material) to the wood trusses underneath the decking.

Then you have the shape of the roof (is is hip or gable, hip better for hurricanes). Then what is the roofing material, such as metal(usually better for hurricanes), asphalt shingles, tile, etc. And then the underlayment, which is great that your roof was replaced last year because it probably got new underlayment.

All that little stuff matters here and there in windstorms, collectively, along with windows and doors.

The other issue is - how close to the water is the condo and is it in a flood zone. Rising and rushing water can occur too, but more likely very very close to the coast.

BTW - check out Kimall Window and Door for a price on window installs. Builders use this company and they have been around a long time. Also get a quote from Mullet's Aluminum in Sarasota.

Prices can vary greatly on new windows, depending on what brand you get and what material and even if you get same brand/type/material, the price can vary from vendor to vendor.

Check prices on PGT brand alum framed windows.

You should always get at least 3 quotes anyway.

If one of the windows is a slider, do you mean sliding glass door?

Last edited by sware2cod; 06-02-2018 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 06:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The "pro", of course, is that I would have MUCH more peace of mind if hurricane-force winds were headed this way.

OK, so what do you guys think, especially retirees on fixed incomes without a HUGE retirement fund?
No way I would do it.

We live in a 1953 Sarasota home with all original windows. I hardly think even a pane has been replaced.

The odds of a window breaking in your home are extremely low - the odds of it hurting you even lower.

Don't do it. That comes from a lifetime contractor, DIYer and general common sense perspective.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My windows are 48 years old and came through Irma with no issue. I'm in Cape Coral just north of where the hurricane landed by about 30 miles. I received a quote for hurricane windows and it was $18,000! I decided it would be easier to buy plywood which my BIL is doing for me as I type this.

You could also get quotes from places that do hurricane shutters.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
Don't be so sure that impact windows won't get you more money if you sell. I see them in lots of listings as a selling feature. And if you are concerned with hurricanes, there are buyers that are too. It's also good for security, insulation and noise reduction.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Don't be so sure that impact windows won't get you more money if you sell. I see them in lots of listings as a selling feature. And if you are concerned with hurricanes, there are buyers that are too. It's also good for security, insulation and noise reduction.
Yes, I think they're a selling point, and they may fetch a little bit more if compared to a unit with the original windows....but nowhere near the $10K that I will have invested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area