U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM

33,328 posts, read 52,828,286 times

Advertisements

Planted some in container in west facing front yard
Watered them daily but seemed to have "fried"
Thought maybe the foam from initial liquid fertilizer/water on leaves might have bern the cause
Planted same type/same day in backyard--east facing--in small raised bed around tall queen palm
Gets little more shade but still mainly sun 8+ hrs
Water them too
They did better initially but now seem to have leaves dying

They were marked as "full sun" when we bought
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,061,829 times
Impatients would be hard to grow in full sun. Better off going with the Vinca otherwise know as "Periwinkle". I have those in my flower bed in full sun with a western exposure and they are going crazy right now.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:33 AM

85 posts, read 62,080 times
Are you getting a mildewy disease/fungus on the plants or are they just wilting over and shriveling up? If the leaves have brown blotches it may be a burn from the fertilizer. Impatiens need tons of water and even more if you have them in pots or hanging baskets where the heat can dry the soil from all sides. You'll probably have better luck in indirect sun...and keep them watered well.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 PM

12,907 posts, read 4,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Impatients would be hard to grow in full sun. Better off going with the Vinca otherwise know as "Periwinkle". I have those in my flower bed in full sun with a western exposure and they are going crazy right now.
Absolutely agree. It's just to hot/sunny here for impatiens.

Vinca are pretty much indestructible and have a similar look.

Look for native plants. Look at what grows in neighbors' yards. Anything else is a waste of money as it will die from the heat/sun.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,061,829 times
The box stores will say the "New Guinea" impatiens will do good in full sun. I don't find that to be true here in Florida.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:26 PM

583 posts, read 673,317 times
There are "Sunpatiens" that tolerate full sun pretty well for me here in north Florida. They do require frequent watering.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:02 PM

These said they were "Sunpatiens" on their container
We watered 2 times a day
Think I will have to get Vincas or maybe some portulaccas--but haven't found very nice plants of them where we have been...

Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,803,304 times
Impatients can be grown in a plastic pot that gets mostly shade or filtered sunlight. The will need watering almost every day. Clay pot- every day. Vinca can be grown almost anywhere and in any container. If grown in a yard, they are self seeding. They are an annual but can be treated as a perennial in this area. They will become 'stringy' and the main stem becomes 'woody' if you don't cut them back.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 PM

Do I have to worry about vincas spreading outside their container from self-seeding?
In TX previous owners of house we bought had some of those stalky plants w/blue flowers -- Mexican something they are called in TX--and they were like weeds--horrible to get rid of
Don't want something that will spread into yard...

And I appreciate the help
Most of people working in garden areas of Lowe's or other stores aren't that knowledgeable IMO from questions I have asked and while books might tell factual info, it often isn't practical info...

Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM

12,907 posts, read 4,333,435 times
MRT in Englewood has knowledgeable people, and once a month at Lowes they used to have a master gardener from the Sarasota university extension group there for a few hours. You could bring in specimens, show them pictures, ask questions, etc. Don't know if they still do this.

The problem is, even with advice, it could still die in your yard anyway. It really is a trial and error situation, and FL sun/sand/soil can be difficult to navigate. I've had luck with vinca, porterweed, thryallis(sp?) and beach sunflower, as well as lantana. Other plants look great for a month or two and then dry out and die. The constant sun is brutal. And who wants to be watering 2-3 day a day for months? Go native, full sun, high drought, high salt tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: