Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,016 times

Advertisements

I am writing from Canada, and the prices seem to be great. does anyone have any info on condos at Sable Trace Golf Club? I might pay $140,000 is that too much? Any info on the area would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Last I knew there was one villa at $174,900 that was already built. The new ones will be $179,900 and you can reserve one now. They will be ready in the fall. The least expensive used villa is $189,900.

There are condos in The Colony at Sabal Trace starting at $139,900.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
[I]We just need to get down there and start looking. [/i]

That's the operative phrase right there. Living in North Port I know of no one who complains like people on this board.

You really need to look at these areas FOR YOURSELF and decide from there.

As far as Sable Trace goes... there are many choices right now and you might be able to find something nicer...maybe for less if you look around.

Mikey

Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
[I]We just need to get down there and start looking. [/i]

That's the operative phrase right there. Living in North Port I know of no one who complains like people on this board.

You really need to look at these areas FOR YOURSELF and decide from there.

As far as Sable Trace goes... there are many choices right now and you might be able to find something nicer...maybe for less if you look around.

Mikey
There are actually about ten foreclosed homes that are 3/2/2, newer, in really good shape that are price at $120,000 and under.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Soflgal- what are the odds on being able to rent out one of theses properties on a longer term and how much rent do you think I might get ? Could be worth buying one as a long term investment.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 AM

OK, let me start of by saying I don't do rentals but I have talked to many rental companies and this is what they tell me. There is a huge demand for homes with pools and a fourth bedroom or den is a big plus.

There are many properties for rent right now but not as many that have been well kept. If your property is well kept and in a good neighborhood you should be able to rent it, especially if it has a pool. I would call a rental agent in the area to get their take on it as well (as far as time frame to rent, etc).

Just grabbed the newspaper and it looks like the going rate for a 3/2/2 newer home is $900-$1000, depending on size. I didn't see any pool homes in the paper but I would guess you could probably rent one for $1100-$1200. North Port is not really a beach town(25 minutes from the beach though) so most of the rentals are long term rentals.

I have so many people looking to buy homes under $140,000 I go out and preview every home that goes on the market and put it into a stack. I have three stacks of property-the best-so-so-and dumps. Some people want a home that they can move right into and some people don't want to have to do anything to it. I'm prepared for whatever someone is looking for and can pull those specific properties since I have gone out to look at them. Most people think because it's a dump they will get a better deal and that's not always the case, sometimes but not always.

Like I've said before, we are swamped with people from Canada and other areas due to the value of the dollar being so weak and the prices being down on top of that.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
thats helpful many thanks. I know North Port a bit- we always stay in Rotonda but drive thru NP a fair bit.
My thinking was-buy a house for 100-120 with 40 deposit.
Mortgage of around $500 = as long as I broke even I would be happy, looking to start a portfolio of propertiues for when we move over.

Would be nice to hear what you have thats 'nice' expecially iof it has a pool.
We are over in 3 weeks so may well have a scout around.

With the pound at $2 its a good time to invest

Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM

There are plenty of properties in that price range. I have seven right now that are in my "favorites list" due to condition, price, location, size, etc. The cheapest pool home right now is $125,000. I'll DM you with the details.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 35,723 times
MominNY... I grew up in south venice, my grandparents lived and died on the island of Venice, and now I have lived in North Port for the last 14 years. I would HIGHLY recommend taking a drive through all of these areas before you make a decision on where to move. THe island of Venice is nice, but it's dead around 5 pm because all residents are in their 80's, hit up the early bird specials at 4, and go home to bed. I'm not sure of your age but Venice is deaths waiting room and that IS a local joke about it. South Venice is a mix of young and old... but residentially speaking (the structures) is an old (many homes built in the 50's-70's) community unless you go south of Jacaranda (which due to annexation is practically North Port anyway) or up Venice Ave off the island.

I love North Port, and personally don't think you can beat it. Once you get past the older section (stay away from the Biscayne/Pan American/41 area...every town and city has it's older, don't go there area) it's absolutely beautiful. They are finishing the 4 laning of Sumter right now, and it's GORGEOUS! Winding sidewalks, sitting areas, landscaping... If you do venture down to North Port take a drive up Sumter down Price and go check out the new businesses and areas going up along Toledo Blade. I won't lie.. the road infrastructure is crappy right now but it's getting better... They are starting to four lane Toledo Blade and I have high hopes that it's going to be beautiful like Sumter. Also go up Sumter past the light at Price and check out the new city hall, police Department, and George Mullen community center (which always has some activity going on). I live off of North Cranberry.. there are PLENTY of children around here, and it's a new community with good neighbors and filled with lots of wooded lots still, so there is a great element of privacy.

I can't speak for the job market as my husband and I both have very stable county and city jobs, but we are homeowners and right now is the time to BUY. We bought in 2005 (thank god we were locked into an early 2004 price with our builder) and I can tell you that buying a home back then was a BAD idea.... but prices have gotten down to a manageable amount again. We did make the mistake of refinancing back then and we are probably not in a good place if we wanted to sell our home, but that was our mistake... no one elses. Most of the foreclosures are from investors. My sister did foreclose on her home, but that was due to her husband passing away from medical problems.... bad things happen to good people sometimes.

Essentially North Port is a growing city. I've been here for a long time, and I have to tell you that it's been exciting being part of the birth of a true city so far and it's only going to expand. I remember when major intersections now were only four way stops... it's absolutely amazing!
My main message to you is to make sure you actually take good long drives through the whole area before you make a decision... and GOOD LUCK!!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapril2000 View Post
MominNY... I grew up in south venice, my grandparents lived and died on the island of Venice, and now I have lived in North Port for the last 14 years. I would HIGHLY recommend taking a drive through all of these areas before you make a decision on where to move. THe island of Venice is nice, but it's dead around 5 pm because all residents are in their 80's, hit up the early bird specials at 4, and go home to bed. I'm not sure of your age but Venice is deaths waiting room and that IS a local joke about it. South Venice is a mix of young and old... but residentially speaking (the structures) is an old (many homes built in the 50's-70's) community unless you go south of Jacaranda (which due to annexation is practically North Port anyway) or up Venice Ave off the island.

I love North Port, and personally don't think you can beat it. Once you get past the older section (stay away from the Biscayne/Pan American/41 area...every town and city has it's older, don't go there area) it's absolutely beautiful. They are finishing the 4 laning of Sumter right now, and it's GORGEOUS! Winding sidewalks, sitting areas, landscaping... If you do venture down to North Port take a drive up Sumter down Price and go check out the new businesses and areas going up along Toledo Blade. I won't lie.. the road infrastructure is crappy right now but it's getting better... They are starting to four lane Toledo Blade and I have high hopes that it's going to be beautiful like Sumter. Also go up Sumter past the light at Price and check out the new city hall, police Department, and George Mullen community center (which always has some activity going on). I live off of North Cranberry.. there are PLENTY of children around here, and it's a new community with good neighbors and filled with lots of wooded lots still, so there is a great element of privacy.

I can't speak for the job market as my husband and I both have very stable county and city jobs, but we are homeowners and right now is the time to BUY. We bought in 2005 (thank god we were locked into an early 2004 price with our builder) and I can tell you that buying a home back then was a BAD idea.... but prices have gotten down to a manageable amount again. We did make the mistake of refinancing back then and we are probably not in a good place if we wanted to sell our home, but that was our mistake... no one elses. Most of the foreclosures are from investors. My sister did foreclose on her home, but that was due to her husband passing away from medical problems.... bad things happen to good people sometimes.

Essentially North Port is a growing city. I've been here for a long time, and I have to tell you that it's been exciting being part of the birth of a true city so far and it's only going to expand. I remember when major intersections now were only four way stops... it's absolutely amazing!
My main message to you is to make sure you actually take good long drives through the whole area before you make a decision... and GOOD LUCK!!
Excellent post with some very good points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area