Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times

Advertisements

Interesting story. According to the latest info released from the Census Bureau, Sarasota & Manatee counties are still getting older:

Sarasota-Manatee is still getting older, census shows - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 02:29 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I know I am

Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I know I am
Haha - me too!

Old 06-22-2018, 03:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
No other option really...

Old 06-22-2018, 03:27 PM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I'm just past the median age of Sarasota, so I'm guilty too! I like to think I'm not old, just highly experienced! I can still run a mile in under 9 minutes, so the pop-up Internet says I'm just fine.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Can you say lack of diversity? Confirms my personal joke that the only diversity in Sarasota county is age. To be fair, I’ve lived in a very diverse area in the past so it hits me when I’m there.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Yes - all those people on here that keep saying it is getting younger must be wrong

Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 PM

There are still pockets getting younger. Lakewood Ranch is a great example.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,236 times
I'm retired and older. I wish Sarasota had more 'young blood.'
I love the new Whole Foods and see a bunch of younger people there. Makes me hopeful. However, the state of salaries and lack of good employment keep people away.

I'm originally from New York City. The salaries/benefits here are terrible. I know people who have been offered transfers to Florida. They only accept if they can keep the same salary/benefits they were getting in NY.

Some companies agree to get skilled people to fill positions in Florida. But Floridians who apply for the same job are give the piddling Florida salaries.

Had a friend in NY who was offered a transfer to Tampa at Bristol Myers. She said she would take the position if the salary and benefits stayed the same. They accepted and she moved to Tampa. Her friend who worked at Raymond James in St. Pete applied for the same position (there were three offers). She told them she wanted the same salary and benefits and they refused saying she was a Florida resident. The offers were only for people moving from NY.

She stayed at Raymond James. Lousy salary after 15 yrs. but still higher than Bristol Meyers was offering for Florida.

If Florida wants to attract young families, they need to do something about salaries and benefits.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:59 AM

macyny,
When you say FLA needs to do something about salaries & benefits, who needs to do something, and what should they do?

Do you mean the State Government should pass laws to force the private sector to raise wages? How has that worked out for cities/states who have tried that?

Or, should companies just voluntarily pay more even though they are not having any problems hiring at current wages? If you owned a Florida company, would you give everyone a raise, or just the younger employees to get them to stay? Would you increase prices to offset the cost of the raises, or just take the money out of your own pocket to pay the raises?

Or, something else? Unionize the entire workforce? How did that work for the Rust Belt of the U.S.? Or, Detroit?

What would your suggestions do to the economy of Florida? If wages grow, don't the prices we pay for things go up too?

If we attract a lot of young people, wouldn't we have to pay more property taxes to build more schools, and wouldn't the crime rates go up?

How are the higher wages in New York impacting population growth in the State? I keep reading where New Yorkers are fleeing the State for places like Florida where everything doesn't cost so much.

If NY lowered wages, prices for things would go down, and taxpayers might stay.

Why did you move from NYC (where there are lots of young strivers) to Sarasota Florida, where it's mostly old retirees, if you enjoy seeing younger blood? Jacksonville may have been a better choice for you since its much younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area