Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM

33 posts, read 86,158 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to one of these two area and I'm curious how they compare. Does anyone have any insight or thoughts they could provide that would assist me in deciding between these two locations? We have three children ages 7, 9, and 11.

Thanks

Last edited by AcousticBuckeye; 03-30-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 15,302 times
Default Peaches and Apples

Greyhawk Landings is further east of 75 than Lakewood Ranch. Greyhawks lots are much larger than most in Lakewood Ranch. The nearest shopping community would be those that serve Lakewood Ranch as well.

Lakewood Ranch is actually 7 different communities and depending on what your looking at may or may not be equivelant in the quality of home to that built in Greyhawk Landing. Lakewood Ranch is has a good school system - Greyhawk kids would go to Lakewood Ranch schools as they are near.

Last edited by ckerrme; 04-01-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,471 times
Default Lakewood ranch

Hello,
I've lived in Lakewood Ranch for 6 years and would say it's a better location and is a great place to raise kids. The cost of buying a home may be more expensive, but I think it's a better investment.
Mike

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 AM

49 posts, read 188,325 times
I would suggest Greyhawk Landings, as I believe the homes are built better and you have bigger lots. Better neighborhood all around.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 AM

83 posts, read 277,406 times
Default Greyhawk vs Lakewood Ranch

Hi
I have relatives in Greyhawk who are part-time residents and we are moving to Lakewood from NY next month.
My thoughts:
Greyhawk - you may get slightly more space for your money. Lovely walking trails and community pool. However, it is a bit of a distance from everything and doesn't have a lot of its own things to do. You would have to check public schools also. Great community - but for me it is slightly away from everything.
Lakewood Ranch. More builders therefore more choice. Slightly smaller lots but many of the communities have community pools also. There is much more to do in terms of adventure park, nature walks, bike paths, parks, and the community is maintained daily by Schroeder-Manatee ranch (who own the planned community). There is a little Main Street with shops, restaurants, cafes and movie theater. There is also a dinner theater being built. We like it because much closer to everything - to get to beach, shops, Sarasota culture, airport, etc. Also - schools have good reputation - Willis Elementary, McNeal, Nolan. Also - much closer to good choice of private schools (we are Catholic so we are doing Catholic school). Long term - resale would (in my opinion) be better at Lakewood.
There are great deals to be had in both those communities at the moment. Many people are still holding out for what I consider to be too-high prices, but you will definitely be able to negotiate down. You will have people who prefer Greyhawk and people who prefer Lakewood so just walk around and talk to people who already live there - that is what we did - I found mothers and just started talking to them.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM

16 posts, read 64,339 times
mariabd really described both communities nicely, however some of the other features you get with GreyHawk that you won't get in the general Lakewood Ranch area are: Gated community with live security guards, huge swimming pool with GREAT kid play area toys built into the pool, soccer and baseball fields inside your gated community and all the great stuff she mentioned about LR is only an 8 minute car ride. It's really going to boil down to you cruising through the neighborhoods and figuring out which one you'll get more enjoyment out of.

There are some great deals around but don't forget that one of the best ways to quickly find what you're looking for can be to find a Realtor who works as a Professional Buyer's Agent. They can do a lot of the background research for you and really match you up with the right homes and communities that will best suit your wants and needs. I would recommend that you check out your agent and be sure they've been in the business for a while and that they've done at least 50 deals. If they've managed to do that, there's a good chance they will have the background to represent you and help avoid any unpleasant surprises. You might also ask how broad of an area they cover so that you're not missing any areas that you might be interested in. Best of luck with your search.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Default Totally agree with previous response

Forgot to mention the play area at Greyhawk and the soccer fields.
Getting a good realtor who really knows the areas inside out is key...and don't hesitate to change realtor if you sense that your first realtor isn't really focused on getting you exactly what you want.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
lakewood ranch has a very friendly community(used to live there--i miss it)

the country club is expensive and not really gated as they have to let everyone in that stops--manatee county rule

at lakewood ranch---you are much closer to sarasota--also criminal activity seems to be higher in the greyhawk landing area---check police briefs or east county observer

keep your children in public schools,if you are catholic,avoid st.martha's----constant teacher and administrative turnover----incarnation school in sarasota is more stable!

willis and mcneal are well rated schools

greenbrook section of lakewood ranch has many young families

my realtor there was coldwell banker----they were extremly helpful-----good luck

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Default Just following up with previous posts on school

We're looking into St Martha's. Is it really one to avoid? Need a Catholic school either in Sarasota or Bradenton.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariadbd View Post
We're looking into St Martha's. Is it really one to avoid? Need a Catholic school either in Sarasota or Bradenton.
absolutely--it will be looking for its 4th new principal in about 6 years-----some of the teachers are adequately trained,but some of the more influential staff are not,also the percentage of catholic lay staff was moderate---

incarnation on bee ridge road has had a very stable administration and staff(although not as fancy as st.martha's)
the pastor at incarnation is a wonderful man---i was in the area many years and as an older non teaching but professional that worked with children--i have heard much about the schools
st joseph's,bradenton,has a good reputation--though it is clear across town

st.stephen's episcopal in bradenton and lakewood ranch areas also has an excellent reputation

please,for your children's sake
--ask questions about the teacher's training(not from the administration----some will fudge on their staff's training)----ask parents with older children than yours----they can give you their past experiences

the best private school in your area is out of door academy in lakewood ranch---if you chose that then you can always utilize weekend religion classes----all churches in your area have them

lots of luck----you are in a beautiful area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area