Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 AM

16 posts, read 53,228 times

Advertisements

I know there are tons of threads on here about people moving to Sarasota but I think my question is a bit more unique then your standard "whats the area like". I will be retiring next year and have already visited the area and will continue to do so until I do retire.

My question is about deed restrictions involving pets and fences. I have been in animal rescue for most of my life and at one time had 4 dogs. I will continue rescuing and fostering so my obvious concerns are about the number of pets allowed in deed restrictive areas and do most allow you to put up a fence if you want one? I have never in all the years I've been in rescue ever have a neighbor complain about my animals and I've lived in a condo and now a single family home.

Rescue has been my passion my entire life and I won't let deed restrictions interfere with that ,so can I find homes in deed restricted areas fitting my needs or will I be confined to non deed restrictive ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 38,013 times
Well you're correct, there are many resource threads posted previously...but..

Hmmm...if you think that most decent communities in Sarasota-Manatee with restrictive and active HOA's are going to welcome or embrace your "passion" about "recusing DOGS" (plural), then THINK AGAIN.

Second, your "passion" may actually constitute a "business" under some of their rules as articulated in the Declaration/Use Restrictions. If will vary from one HOA to another.

Fencing is a whole other ball of wax as well. The HOA's do dictate a LOT about whether you can have any fencing, what type of fencing, location of fencing, color of fencing, height of fencing, etc etc. Many HOA's forbid "dog runs" as well.

Also, you will find that due to the close proximity of houses to each other, even in estate-size developments, few if anyone wants to be next to a neighbor who has even one "barking dog". The more expensive the development, the less likely that multiple dogs will be allowed...outside for sure.

People that want to "rescue dogs" should look for non-HOA communities perhaps in a more rural environment, not in modern suburban, planned, or gated communities.

In short, you're looking for nothing but conflict if you seek a house in most HOA communities in Sarasota and Manatee counties....

Also keep in mind, each county also has ordinances that govern this sort of rescue activity. This includes health and safety, building and use codes......not to mention strict leash laws.

Frankly, I don't think this sort of activity even has a place in most neighborhoods with or without HOA's.

Rules are promulgated for a reason...some people may have a passion for raising "free range chickens" in a henhouse in their rear yard and think a crowing rooster every morning is no big deal....but the neighbors may think that neighbor is nuts

Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 AM

50 posts, read 38,013 times
Oh, and for most ALL condos in SRQ-Man they will sue the pants off of you...FYI

Keep something in mind: most people who relocate and/or "retire" to Florida don't really want to live next door to a kennel, or the "cat lady". Just sayin

Old 07-22-2018, 02:09 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Hi Sharkster,

First, not all deed restricted communities are alike.

All of the new or newer communities do have restrictions on both fencing and pets. Many now restrict homeowners to 2 or 3 pets max per household, but not all. There are a handful that just state a "reasonable number of pets." Many will not allow homeowners to put dog houses or dog pens/runs in the yards. Fencing restrictions are generally to the type/height of fencing allowed, plus not all lots can be fenced. Most of the newer communities do not allow homeowners to fence back yards if they back up to a lake or open wooded area. Some do not allow corner lots to fence. All will require you to go thru the HOA to get permission to fence first.

For older, deed restricted communities -- you really need to ask to see the deed restrictions for each neighborhood you are interested in because the restrictions vary greatly. Some do not limit the number of pets at all, some do not restrict fencing at all, others require you to get HOA approval before fencing, etc.

Regarding lot size -- the other poster brings up a good point. Builders in many of the newer communities make the lot sizes as small as they can to put as many homes as possible in a development. Lot widths of 50, 55 & 60 feet are common. If you need more back yard space for your dogs, try looking in neighborhoods where the homes were built pre 2000. Lots in many of the older neighborhoods run around 65 - 75 feet wide.

Would suggest you stick to single family homes as an option because all of the condo/villa communities in our area have pet restrictions on number of pets (usually 1 or 2) and most restrict the weight of the pets. Most also have restrictions on certain aggressive breeds.

There are a number of great rescue cat/dog organizations in our area that are always looking for volunteers such as yourself, they are often under staffed and under funded.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I know there are tons of threads on here about people moving to Sarasota but I think my question is a bit more unique then your standard "whats the area like". I will be retiring next year and have already visited the area and will continue to do so until I do retire.

My question is about deed restrictions involving pets and fences. I have been in animal rescue for most of my life and at one time had 4 dogs. I will continue rescuing and fostering so my obvious concerns are about the number of pets allowed in deed restrictive areas and do most allow you to put up a fence if you want one? I have never in all the years I've been in rescue ever have a neighbor complain about my animals and I've lived in a condo and now a single family home.

Rescue has been my passion my entire life and I won't let deed restrictions interfere with that ,so can I find homes in deed restricted areas fitting my needs or will I be confined to non deed restrictive ones?
I think our neighborhood--created in the 70s--limits dogs to 3 per household--
So that people can't run breeding operations in their homes
Newer HOAs might have more restrictive numbers

Best bet is to ask a realtor with lot of experience in areas you are interested in--

Old 07-22-2018, 07:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
I live in a very large subdivision with no HOA or deed restrictions. I can live with the boats and trailers on the lawn and the four cars but I can't live with barking yard dogs. So please, don't buy a house near me.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I'm on the board of our HOA and the maximum number of dogs you can have is 2. You can't run a business from your house. Although fences are allowed on lots that do not back up to a lake, you cannot leave a dog on the lanai or outside unattended Barking dogs are considered nuisance and one that barks constantly will get you a compliance notice. You get one notice. After that any subsequent violations are fined at $100 per day and 2 weeks suspension of privleges (gym, pool access). I think these rules are fairly common in deed restricted communities.

If you want to continue working with rescue dogs, either volunteer at a dog shelter, or purchase a property in a non deed restricted community.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 53,228 times
Thank you for your comments and let me just say, animal rescue/foster is not a "business" and I abhor backyard breeders.I'm not looking to "raise" animals either, most of the time I just foster elderly cats and I will not be having as many dogs as I get older. And for those concerned about barking dogs I never have and never will ever leave my dogs outside. They go out do their business, play around a bit and are back inside, and are only out when I am out with them. I probably take better care of my pets then most people take care of their kids.

I also want nothing to do with a condo/townhouse. I think close neighbors are more of a problem with noise then animals, having already lived in a condo. My downstairs neighbor never even knew I had 2 dogs until I told him, thats how well I take care of mine.

I would obviously prefer a non deeded area but from the looks of things there pretty hard to come by and I'd rather not live in a rural area like North Port which is the only area I've found so far to the west of 75 where I'd like to stay. I'd prefer to be closer to Siesta Key or Nokomis or Osprey. Maybe even Venice but the first 3 for sure.

Can anyone maybe send me some non deeded areas that they know about that I can look into on my next trip down there. I'll be retiring by the end of May 2019 so I don't think I can really start working with a realtor just yet. But I can keep a check online and then visit those neighborhoods.

And let me just stress one more time, ALL of my animals are my pets and family and I treat them and those that live around me with the outmost respect. I have never in all my years ever had a compliant made about me or my animals.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 AM

22 posts, read 39,762 times
I can tell you're probably the kind of neighbor that might think that the rules, restrictions, or processes within a neighborhood don't apply to YOU.

Animals are animals...they aren't people. Taking care of DOGS and CATS should never be compared to rearing and caring for children. NEVER. But you seem to believe that it's congruent. It's no such thing.

Noisy neighbors can be talked with and reasoned with. Animals can't be reasoned with. Houses are built for human use, not animal use. The needs and desires of humans are paramount, not the needs and desires of cats, dogs, snakes, rabbits and other assorted "pets".

Someone who *needs* to "foster elderly cats" and 2 or three dogs should live NOWHERE around most traditional families, retirees, young couples etc, who have invested their hard earned money to buy any house.

You want to take care of cats and dogs?? great!...open up and own your own rescue shelter in a commercial strip mall.

You say it's not a business? sure, it CAN be construed as a business under stated HOA restrictions! Many HOBBIES have been classified as a "business" under many Association's rules. There is also a catch-all restriction used by many HOA's....my favorite is "Noxious Activity". If one single neighbor makes a formal complaint about your cats and dogs, in re "noxious activity", you're toast.

Many would argue that having a bunch of old cats and dogs around your house constitutes "noxious activity", however vague the claim by other neighbors.

In short, go follow your "passion" at an appropriate physical, supportive venue. Housing developments are not the appropriate place for this kind of activity and "passion". And please don't move next door to me. But what do I know, I'm twisted.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
sharkster, contact a local realtor (local to the area in which you think you might want to eventually settle) and ask him/her to set up an auto-email search for non-HOA listings that fit your budget, size, etc. The auto-email search will send you the current matching listings and continually send you listings as they come on the market that match your criteria. There should be no obligation or cost to you to have an agent do that for you. Of course, the agent will hope to get you as a buyer but that is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area