Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 06:37 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
That's one scientists "opinion". However most of the scientific research indicates that any change in global mean temperature due to a future prolonged solar minimum would do little to substantially offset or delay the warming due to projected increases in long-lived greenhouse gases. The upper atmosphere will be most effected by the lack of sun spots - but not likely much effect here on earth.

This is all explained in great detail in "official scientific" research from the following link:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8535
However, the reduced Hurricane activity and intensity also point to global cooling. These are factual historical occurrances and not opinion.

What about it snowing in Houston already? Earliest snow ever.

Sorry, too many tangible signs for me to believe in warming, the Earth is cooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
However, the reduced Hurricane activity and intensity also point to global cooling. These are factual historical occurrances and not opinion.

What about it snowing in Houston already? Earliest snow ever.

Sorry, too many tangible signs for me to believe in warming, the Earth is cooling.
You just keep repeating the same debunked arguments. You haven't posted one link showing the earth's surface temperatures, let alone ocean temperatures, are cooling.

To the contrary, NASA says earth is warming at an accelerating rate. Oh yeah, man-made climate change deniers rely on their superior "natural instinct for science" and not on empirical data and actual research by bona fide scientists.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

Deal with it, and stop spreading your obfuscations and prevarications.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-13-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Red Tide has improved for 3 or 4 days straight now. I hope this trend continues. We have a front moving through and after it dow temps will drop which should help.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
WRNative
Thank you for continuing to post truthful information instead of "people are saying" type of misinformation.
I tried to give you a rep but I got the "you must spread it around before doing this" message.
I don't need to read Red Tide reports to know if it is still affecting the area, my nose and head give me a personal report.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Read it and weep. All BS aside, I already know people who have left Florida due to environmental degradation. In one case the family didn't know the nice stream nearby contained dioxin from the Paper Plant 12 miles inland. Other left due to Traffic and other issues that go right along with degradation.

Water Managers Renew Sugar Company's Lease On Land Slated For Everglades Reservoir Project | WLRN

Florida will survive. But it had a chance to be better - to plan a future instead of just letting chaos and money reign. It didn't take that path and, even if it does, it will take a decade or two to even start to mitigate the mess.

Scott made it clear in his press releases. It is all "only natural". Not a word about mankind making it worse or what can be done about it. I expect that to continue no matter what.

In SRQ it looks worse than even. The Bay is mostly Red....a shallow bay like that with 100X and more the background levels means a lot of dead Marine Life. As I said before, it's almost fitting that Red surrounds Mote. Their muddling of the issue (based on where and how they get their funding) may be the only way they can survive, but it has chosen the dollar over Science, Biology and Reason.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Red Tide has improved for 3 or 4 days straight now. I hope this trend continues. We have a front moving through and after it dow temps will drop which should help.
THIS is why anecdotes are not helpful. It is going to snow up here later today, which means Global Warming is a myth, right? (no, not right).

Look at this map. Look at Sarasota BAY......red, red, red, red. You can't have the entire Bay at 100X normal levels and expect it to just go away.

I love optimism. But when the Space Shuttle was breaking up would not be the right time to say "this baby is bulletproof - built to withstand anything"......

Reality is a tough taskmaster.

http://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...ec711d16462a72

Look at SRQ bay and Mote (City Island) and then come back and tell us they are measuring wrongly or something....

Note - being a man of science and reason, let me give skeptics their due. Being skeptical is a good thing, because you always have to question everything.

Global Warming and Climate Change are very real. No doubt. There is no measurement, metric or chart that has shown otherwise. The Gulf is at temperatures unheard of in recent times and headed up and up.

Sea Level have already risen and are doing so more. Again, a measurable fact.

I think where a lot of people get confused is when other statements are made - which are less provable. For example, blaming Forest Fires on Global Warming, IMHO, muddies the water. We don't "know" that with the same degree of certainty that we know the air temp, water temp and sea levels.

We also don't know about Hurricanes and Global Warming. We do know that there will be many effects on the weather, but we can't yet say exactly what they are.

BUT, in our case, we only need to deal with a proven subset. The Gulf is much warmer AND we are dumping too much sludge into it. Period.

Seems simple enough. We don't need to know the price of a dozen eggs to either see or fix this problem. My take is that it will not be fixed. As mentioned before, humans have shown a liking to living in their own chit.

Last edited by craigiri; 11-15-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
THIS is why anecdotes are not helpful. It is going to snow up here later today, which means Global Warming is a myth, right? (no, not right).

Look at this map. Look at Sarasota BAY......red, red, red, red. You can't have the entire Bay at 100X normal levels and expect it to just go away.

I love optimism. But when the Space Shuttle was breaking up would not be the right time to say "this baby is bulletproof - built to withstand anything"......

Reality is a tough taskmaster.

http://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...ec711d16462a72

Look at SRQ bay and Mote (City Island) and then come back and tell us they are measuring wrongly or something....

Note - being a man of science and reason, let me give skeptics their due. Being skeptical is a good thing, because you always have to question everything.

Global Warming and Climate Change are very real. No doubt. There is no measurement, metric or chart that has shown otherwise. The Gulf is at temperatures unheard of in recent times and headed up and up.

Sea Level have already risen and are doing so more. Again, a measurable fact.

I think where a lot of people get confused is when other statements are made - which are less provable. For example, blaming Forest Fires on Global Warming, IMHO, muddies the water. We don't "know" that with the same degree of certainty that we know the air temp, water temp and sea levels.

We also don't know about Hurricanes and Global Warming. We do know that there will be many effects on the weather, but we can't yet say exactly what they are.

BUT, in our case, we only need to deal with a proven subset. The Gulf is much warmer AND we are dumping too much sludge into it. Period.

Seems simple enough. We don't need to know the price of a dozen eggs to either see or fix this problem. My take is that it will not be fixed. As mentioned before, humans have shown a liking to living in their own chit.
Your dismissal of the links between man-made climate change and hurricane intensification and wildfires is unfortunate and IMO inaccurate.

Perhaps we can say there are direct impacts from carbon dioxide emissions resulting from fossil fuel consumption, such as rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and even the warming and the acidification of the ocean. However, other impacts such as more persistent and severe toxic algal blooms due to warming waters require scientific reasoning based on empirical data. In places such as Lake Erie, where toxic algal blooms remain vary seasonal due to the large temperature ranges of that body of water -- from freezing to 80 degrees F. -- scientists and even antiscientific individuals can observe the impact of temperature on toxic algal blooms and there is NO debate about the impact of temperature on the growth of toxic algal blooms.

Remember that greenhouse gas theories and their dire implications only burst into the global consciousness with the testimony of James Hansen before Congress just 30 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

In the intervening three decades, the collection of empirical data sets and the amount of scientific reasoning and peer-reviewed research has mushroomed, as have, unfortunately, the observed real-world impacts. Greatly more powerful computers analyzing vastly greater data sets have allowed scientists quickly to analyze and interpret real-world impacts and understand the consequences of man-made climate change. To perpetuate ignorance and the continuation of a fossil fuel-based economy, man-made climate change deniers seek not only to silence man-made climate change scientists but to cut off their research. No where in the U.S. is this antiscientific culture more pronounced than in Florida under denier political control, and no where will the consequences be more severely felt.

The rapid intensification of Hurricane Michael over abnormally warm Gulf of Mexico waters, or the recent proliferation of more intense hurricanes in the Caribbean and Atlantic Oceans, or the higher moisture levels of hurricanes are well understood by scientists to be associated with warming oceans due to man-made climate change and atmospheric impacts of man-made climate change. Yet this knowledge is not disseminated by Florida's state government, nor is policy based on such knowledge. While California and other states struggle to both combat and adapt to man-made climate change, the leaders of Florida, the most vulnerable state in the mainland U.S., deny man-made climate change science even when the dire consequences are patently obvious to even less scientific minds.

https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.h...42&segmentID=3

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y?srnd=premium

This is also true of the increasing number and intensity of western wildfires. Just as hotter oceans are associated with more intense hurricanes and toxic algal blooms, western wildfires are linked to hotter, drier air, but also to increasing variations in temperature and rainfall, in which abnormally wet years increase the fuel to be burnt in abnormally hot and dry years. And the most destructive fires often are not forest fires, but largely grass and bush fires. Blaming the fires on forest management is just a monumental statement of ignorance.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/1...es-western-us/

UCLA research puts wildfire risk into historical context | UCLA

Climate Change Is Fueling California's Wildfires, Scientists Say | Here & Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7vdyBwrv8

Fortunately, Congress blocked Trump administration proposals to gut climate change research. Even better data sets are coming. Within five years the links between climate change and hurricane intensification, unfortunately also likely based on new real world experience such as perhaps Category 6 hurricane landfalls, will be more widely accepted and understood. The projections of global inundation will be more informed.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nge-180969138/

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2753/p...lite-turns-10/

It is disturbing that the Trump administration would attempt to kill such scientific research, but comforting that even a Republican Congress would block such an effort.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...ved-restore-it

Last edited by WRnative; 11-15-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Red tide is not going anywhere clyde.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Easterly winds blew through with the front last night, so conditions worsened in last 24 hours. Now, it will begin to improve again as winds shift to the West.

These cooler temps in the low 50's at night will help too.

The worst of it has passed. We're on the mend.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM

Oh, it will improve in specific areas. It may even largely go away for weeks or months here and there. But now that we are looking (when you don't look, you don't see) we will know that it is sitting there right off the coast waiting for currents, pollution and warmer weather.

I mean....my wish is that it will go away forever...of course!

But since we know it has been with us yearly since 1998 and not a single thing has been done about fixing it (actually the other way around), we'd need a real stroke of good luck for it not to poison our close-in waters.

For true environmentalists (residents, snowbirds, etc.), the idea that they get "lucky" and get a week without coughing isn't exactly paradise.

Latest map show improvements. Only 100 to 500X the normal background (1,000). That feels strange to write - ONLY a couple hundred times worse than it should be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area