Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:21 AM

361 posts, read 258,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW&LWR View Post
It used to be bleach, before they discovered it actually corrodes copper components of the AC system.

https://www.kalosflorida.com/air-con...ac-drain-line/
Thanks for the correction! I think the video shows, that the only way bleach could cause a problem is if the PVC drain piping leaks and the bleach then gets on the copper lines. But why take the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,331 times
Just because wife is TOTALLY allergic to any HINT of Bleach smell in the house, I use the cheap cleaning vinegar from Walmart, here in SW Miami, and it works very well for us.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM

50 posts, read 37,998 times
Chlorine beach can be used in a dumb PVC drain ! no problem

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeWarren View Post
I thought everyone knew this about the necessity of doing this in Florida. I've also used compressed air.
Bleach doesn't corrode the PVC line for the drain...it isn't in there long enough

We were told to do it by our HVAC person for our homes in DFW
We didn't do it in house we owned prior to current one and the overflow line was installed incorrectly by the builders--(no surprise)
It didn't work basically and overflow caused pan to fill and then break the straps...
We had already moved out of that house but checked it every week or so--were trying to decide whether to sell w/o updating--this was in 08-09 and real estate in our area was dead--

Came to check it July 4th weekend and found more than inch of water in several rooms w/big hole in ceiling where the pan had fallen in attic and spilled over
Big remediation and then we bit the bullet and did a remodel to get house ready to sell

That taught us to always put bleach down the drain line...
In DFW it is not as much an issue as in FL but we do have high humidity to pull out of the air and we also run our AC units most of the year--can need AC even in fall/winter--
Window layout in our TX house not really conducive to using open windows in nice weather
And our FL house has fixed windows in rooms that make getting a breeze not really functional idea--
No cross draft from the sliders...

Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeWarren View Post
Chlorine beach can be used in a dumb PVC drain ! no problem

^^^^^please re-read closely

Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We used bleach on our old system and now vinegar on our new system. If the condensate drain line is not kept clear, water can back up into the AC unit. You can prevent a service call by keeping that line from becoming clogged.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/vinega...ain-34560.html
Mine has a shut off when the pan fills. I gotta get on the ladder and suck mine out 2 times a year like clock work. Soon as the water goes down the float switch lets the system turn back on.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson345 View Post
Seldom you would have a problem is the AC contractor correctly "sloped" the PVC drain line to exit th house and the unit itself...seldom, but it does happen...the drain line's slope must be calculated with respect to how far the "run"...problem is that most idiots simply "eye" it and guess.
3 weeks ago, while we had company, the AC shut down, and our company left to spend the night in a hotel. The next morning, the HVAC repairman said it shut off due to improperly sloped drain pipe. Yes, it does happen, even in brand new homes.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,236 times
I've been told by three different AC companies to only use white vinegar. I do it once a month and I've never had a clog in six years.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
I've been told by three different AC companies to only use white vinegar. I do it once a month and I've never had a clog in six years.

"only" ?? ....lol

Old 08-07-2018, 02:22 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW&LWR View Post
NEVER bleach. Bleach corrodes. Distilled Vinegar and HOT water only.
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^ I get the big bottle of vinegar that says cleaning.

Never bleach especially if your piping is the pvc type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area