Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafreak View Post
This is where all of the tender skinned people are missing the point. It's humor!
We will have to disagree,i think Foxs supposed satirical piece is a hate rant on NY/NJ snowbirds ,calling it a satirical humor piece is just disguising the real intent of the topic,
Ive seen too many topics and posts vilifying visitors from the North East to think this is any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We don't drive on the Florida roads because it's a jungle out there! Most of the terrorizers seem to me to be about 25-35 years old.
This is a generalization, but like many - some truth to it.....

Lots of folks that age, especially in certain areas - are drunk, stoned or otherwise buzzed much of the time.

My thinking goes like this. The people who are "looking for paradise" at a younger age (when most of us with the Puritan ethic have our nose the grindstone and are raising kids) are more likely to be hedonistic.

I have a couple - well, more than a couple, anecdotes which I have personally witnessed...in this realm. I'm not a lifelong resident, either...these are stories of people I know who moved down there at relatively young ages...and others I stayed with when young, etc...

Again, a generalization but not as much among Florida born natives (they are likely to be more drunk than druggies.....or even straight). Also, not as true among immigrants from some other lands who are generally saner and hard working.

When the wifey and I were 18 or 19 we had visited the tropics a couple times and though...wow, this might be a cool place to live. So we rented a bedroom in a large ranch house from a couple of (female, young) teachers who had moved there from PA. They were salt-of-the-earth nice straight teachers....

Within 6 months one became a heroin addict and both were wrapped up with guys who were big time into drugs. I remember visiting one of their boyfriends along them them and the guy opened his trunk and bragged about the full trashbags of pot (100 lbs or more).....I mean, showing them to us (complete strangers) as if it were normal. And, actually, in the 1970s it was!

Anyway, we decided we felt more comfortable near our roots...which turned out to be a very wise decision. Some of our family members who actually did move down there relatively young...well, those stories would make a good movie. Something like Scarface....

Old 08-12-2018, 12:43 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Idling waiting in line for the pump? Very rare unless a few days before or after a hurricane or tropical storm.
This guy's never been to Costco's gas stations.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
You guys complaining about the NY plates do realize there's a whole big state of NY that's outside of NYC and LI? We have quite a few New Yorkers in our complex -- from Rochester and Buffalo, mostly. I get excited when I see a PA tag (my homestate)...until I realize they're mostly all from Pittsburgh and Erie. The MA folks here are from Western MA. I lump all these folks in with Midwesterners. Conversely, I visited my cousin in Palm Beach Gardens, went to lunch at a place on the Intracoastal, and IMMEDIATELY felt like I was in a different world -- just from the attire. Very stylish and sophisticated!

Old 08-12-2018, 04:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
These posts are very entertaining - well - now that we have black water and dead creatures all around us I do not think we will be having a big snowbird season - might even miss them a little - I have been talking to local business owners and they all say it is very slow - even for non-season

Old 08-12-2018, 06:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It seems to me like they messed up their home States first, then went to Florida's Gold Coast to screw that up, and now, they're coming here. Are they the same people, or others from the same States?

They move to a nice place, ruin it, then move to another nice place...and ruin that one too. They keep repeating the same behaviors in new places thinking the outcome will be different. Then, they are shocked when they are not welcomed with open arms, as if they think we don't know what they did to the last place they lived. Listen up....WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU DID THERE!
With the environmental issues going on now, looks like you've done a fine job of messing up FL without any help from the Northeasterners.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yep. I'm a snowbird and while it's pretty quiet around our complex, I dread the January/February influx of grandchildren - with their children - who take over the place and bring the noise level up tens of decibels while dealing (or not dealing) with said grandchildren and monopolizing the pool, etc.

We don't drive on the Florida roads because it's a jungle out there! Most of the terrorizers seem to me to be about 25-35 years old.
Amen. The month of March is the worst in our community with school vacations. "March Madness" takes on a whole new meaning at the pool.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Feel free to return any of the Federal monies that the Northeast sent your way to fix your problems. They wouldn't be sending money if you weren't asking for it.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Feel free to return any of the Federal monies that the Northeast sent your way to fix your problems. They wouldn't be sending money if you weren't asking for it.
We were asking them to fix the problem they caused. Obviously, they never fixed the problem..they just turned and ran away from it instead.

Besides, that is how the politicans, and the entire political machine, gets greased...when large sums of money changes hands. That's when the kickbacks and favors are finalized. Its easier to hide all the graft amongst Billions of Dollars and Thousands of pages of legislation. "You gotta sign the bill to know whats in the bill".

Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedFox View Post
I recently read about this phenomenon, too. The article referred to them as the "halfbacks"; those who were once NY/NJ/NE and mid-atlantic snowbirds that have moved "halfway back".
I just moved from SW FL to northern GA - corporate relo not a snowbird - so I suppose I qualify as a “halfback”.

In GA everybody says “welcome to GA” with a smile.

In FL everybody asks “are you full year?” The locals love the $ but otherwise do not like snowbirds and people down for “season”. When they hear you are full-year and not retired their attitude changes immensely like you are part of a secret club; you get treated better and not fleeced like a tourist.

October - anticipation of season
December - great weather, season is starting
January - season is in full swing. Oh well, look at what it does for the economy
March - is season over yet? When will these people go home?
April - when is Easter this year?
May - thank goodness, season is over

It’s satire, but like all satire it rings true.

A couple more fun points on being a awful snowbird...

“Using colorful language at the club is so entertaining, especially those ribald tales and choice four-letter words spoken loudly when talking with the guys after a round of golf. Children at the next table over? Why should kids be here anyway? It’s all about fun for seniors!”

“Restaurants during snowbird season should be reserved only for seniors. After all, WE’VE been coming here for many years and always get the same table. What do you mean they also come here? And are a regular? It’s October, how could they be a regular when season just started?”

Last edited by markjames68; 08-14-2018 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area