Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Venice is great little town--my daughter and her DH live there--admittedly there is large community of older people--what they have discovered is that it is more difficult to find friends their age there--maybe if they lived in apt complex might be different-

they love the quiet nature, the safety (except for some of the drivers), and since they live on Venice Island they are close to beaches that are not as crowded as some in other areas...
good restaurants and few chains but driving into Sarasota each day for school could be a real hassle--depending on how you travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
I don't support 26th St to 34th ST North of Cortez as a crime box? North of Manatee is an exceptionally beautiful area, also there are some great neighborhoods off of 43rd North of Cortez. I grew up in NW Bradenton and now live in W Bradenton and enjoy my old neighborhood with great neighbors. I have always felt to stay North of Cortez and West of 26th st.
26th Street WEST and 34th Street WEST on Cortez Road are in the Manatee County Crime Box. Wherever you live is one thing, but that is in the crime box. I would not lead people there. Unsafe-drugs-etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

49 posts, read 188,359 times
Sun Coast Guy,
We will agree to disagree.

Do you live in Bradenton? How long?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Sun Coast Guy,
We will agree to disagree.

Do you live in Bradenton? How long?
"We will agree to disagree." Yes, how true.

I live in West Bradenton, Zip Code 34210 for 10 years. I know what I'm taking about very well.

I'm not making up the crime box. This is designated by the City of Bradenton. If I can find it, I will post it on here.

Last edited by Suncoast Guy; 04-12-2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Added Text

Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Here's what a poster who is no longer on the forum said about the crime box-

Quote:
Bradenton has a "Crime Box." It's 34th Street West to 15th Street East, or something like that.
This is somewhat correct. The crime box is from 34th Street West to 15th Street West and includes areas in and around the Desoto Square Mall. I am not making this up tropics. This is made by the City to Bradenton to focus in on the high crime areas. 26th Street West on Cortez is in this crime box.

The same question to you. Where do you live in Bradenton and how long?

Note for Admins- The reason I used the post from the poster not on here anymore is because it came up on the Google Search for "Bradenton Crime Box".

Last edited by Suncoast Guy; 04-12-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Added Note for Admins

Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Suncoast Guy
So you currently live in 34210 or in the past? Are you the formally Floridian34210?

Myself lived in Bradenton for 36 years! (Except College and Grad School)

Grew Up in NW 34209, Married and lived on Holmes Beach, Currently raising family in West Bradenton 34209.

Until I see more then a copy of a post from a prevous poster stating the crime box, I will continue to agree to diagree.
Give me facts!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Suncoast Guy
So you currently live in 34210 or in the past? Are you the formally Floridian34210?

Myself lived in Bradenton for 36 years! (Except College and Grad School)

Grew Up in NW 34209, Married and lived on Holmes Beach, Currently raising family in West Bradenton 34209.

Until I see more then a copy of a post from a prevous poster stating the crime box, I will continue to agree to diagree.
Give me facts!
No, I am not. I didn't even know about this forum until I heard about it on Bay News 9 a few months ago. I used that charcter's quote because it came up in a Google search, nothing more. There is more than 1 person living in zip code 34210, and more than one person with a computer, believe it or not!

You want "facts", here's part of an Bradenton Herald article from 2007. It shows the designated area where crime is high called "Crime Box", 34th Street and 26th Street ARE IN THE CRIME BOX!

Since you want to ask me questions, here's a question for you: You say you know people that work for the City of Bradenton. How come you don't kow about this crime box, you living here for 36 years, and why don't you call your friends out to clean up the graffiti in the areas that you know so much about?

Quote:
COPYRIGHT 2007 The Bradenton Herald
Byline: Robert Napper

Jan. 1--MANATEE -- Statistics show a sheriff's office attack on a growing violent crime wave in Manatee County this summer put down crime for a few months, but it quickly returned as strong as ever. The sheriff's office singled out an area where it said crime was the worst. But increased efforts have stopped in the so-called "crime box," and crime is just as bad, if not worse, as when operations began, according to top officials with the sheriff's office. Sheriff Charlie Wells uses a football analogy to describe his frustration with crime within the box. "You blitz an area, sack the quarterback, even expect to injure him, but then he gets right back up and throws a touchdown pass," said Wells. "That is frustrating." By April, Manatee County Sheriff's Office officials sounded the alarm signaling that violent crime in the county in 2006 had mushroomed into cause for "substantial concern." That worry is now strengthened by projected crime statistics for all of 2006, according to sheriff's Maj. Chuck Hagaman. Hagaman says projected countywide crime numbers for 2006 are bad, 7 percent higher than in 2005. More deputies in the nine-square-mile "crime box" did slow crime there for a few months. But sheriff's office resources to keep up the intense presence have been exhausted for the time being. As a result, short-term success has given way to conditions sliding back for the worse. And concern by law enforcement remains substantial, according to Hagaman. "We are having...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Still do not see an actual map identifying the "crime box"? I do concur that 26th st heading East would be in a high crime area, but not 26th st heading west.

Again there are some great neighborhoods off of 43rd St W, 51st St W and 59th St W, North of Cortez and North of Manatee.

You seem very disgruntled with Bradenton, and have quite a bit of negativity against Bradenton. It is one thing to share your opinion once, but to go on and on with your negative post gets very annoying. Were you not able to afford to live here? Make a decent living? If you are not Floridan34210 you must be related.

Even though you might not love Bradenton, there are many people that do. My family enjoys all the great amenities that are offered in this town. GT Bray, Beaches, Desoto Park, kayaking, etc.

There is a new program taking place with "Teen Court" that will assist with the continued graffiti taking place in Bradenton. Through teen court many of the community service projects will be or are cleaning up these areas. Most of the locations that are currently being cleaned up are in East Bradenton where more of the gang issues and graffiti take place, but this will continue into other areas. Actually there was some graffitti near by that was taken care of recently with a call to the city, as it had bad words written that children did not need to look at. Random Grafftti has been around a long time, it hasn't just poped up recently.

Again, my big pet peeve is I get tired of people complaining, whining about a town they no longer live in. If you feel crime is getting out of hand, which it is, do something about it. Crime is increasing everywhere so Bradenton is not experiencing anything more then many other towns.

There are many community agencies trying to make a difference that would welcome anyone to volunteer. Teen Court, Mananteens, Manatee Children Services, Young Life, I could go on and on.

I have lived here seeing all the changes. And I will say some of the changes I don't like. For example I had horses growing up in NW Bradenton, Yes NW Bradenton. I could ride them through the woods to the Cause Way where I would swim and hang out with friends. Yes, I seen change that I wish didn't happen, but I also enjoy many of the changes that took place over the years.

My time is too valuable to continue to argue with you. You shared your opinions, I shared mine. I will continue to share that there are some great neighborhoods in NW and W Bradenton that families would enjoy.

We are leaving now to go enjoy the manatees swimming around down at the local marina, this is one of the reason I love Bradenton. How often can you see 5 to 8 manantees hanging out in the local marina where you can sit have a picnic and watch them play around.

Have a great day.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I just thought I would mention that we were considering relocating to Bradenton a bit over a year ago, and in my research here over that time I saw many mentions of the "crime box" with the streets listed, but I can't find it now. I have also seen it referred to as the "Sheriff's box" on a city site somewhere. We didn't end up moving there because of the rising crime and the shootings on Coquina last year.

This is not to say that I think the whole town is bad, I find the small scale of it very charming, love the waterfront downtown, and the NW residential area and the beaches. But in the end, it just wasn't for us.

I really do hope the police can get a handle on the gangs, which is where all the crime is coming from. There are just too many areas now where people cannot feel safe to go. And it's a real shame because this pretty little town has so much potential - my in-laws and relative from the midwest have vacationed here for decades.

If we had moved to B-ton I would have lived in the NW area, and/or toward the river - just beautiful!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 PM

58 posts, read 174,673 times
If people are attacked for pointing out crime and high crime areas, the attackers of such posters either have 1. ulterior motives, 2. they may want to sell a place in a gang or crime infested area, 3. they are in denial, and try to play down the crime 4. they insult the poster or say no crime exists because maybe they are a criminal.
Florida leads the nation in foreclosures and when I posted data on white collar mortgage crime, massive foreclosures and seller inflated price gouging, the posters in sarasota laughed and talked about "getting drunk in fishnet stockings at the hookers ball"
meanwhile sarasota has more poverty level income long time residents on welfare who can not even afford adequite nutrition, more so then many other counties.

Lesson: People online LIE, and they LIE often, and they LIE a lot online for self serving reasons that are not in other peoples best interests.
One guy bragging he lived in a million dollar home in siesta key was really a broke realtor living in his car and a phone booth trolling the internet looking for a sucker.....er I mean buyer.
Publishing crime data HELPS to get the crime in an area cleaned up. Duh, it is called community watch and warning others,
As far as all the touts and salesmen with ulterior motives, that post online..
Remember: The wisdom of a snake is to HIDE itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area