Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
151 posts, read 599,771 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

Bottom line it depends on your age, 20's Bradenton (it's cheaper) 30-65 Sarasota and 65+ Venice.

Bradenton folks do not venture to Sarasota/Venice and vice versa. Sarasota peeps visit (their parents In Venice ) as said. LOL!! Oh and Sarasota by far has the best beaches!!

I chose a home near I-75 and have access to all 3!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,845 times
Reputation: 10
Newbie here.....I've read this thread over and over again (with a map in another window) trying to figure out where the best place to live is (for our family and in our price range). DH is going to Ringling, and we are moving down there (from MD) in Aug. We can't afford a lot (DH is a disabled vet), but want to be in a safe area with good schools (our son has moderate to severe autism). We would prefer to stay in Sarasota, but after looking at so many rentals my eyes are going crossed, have found a nice enough house in Bradenton (in south Bayshore Gardens). I noticed this thread was started 2 yrs ago, so is there any up to date info on crime in the area? I also found two other houses, one in Southgate and one in Sarasota Springs, can anyone tell me about these areas? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,436 times
Reputation: 10
Default Moving to Bradenton/Sarasota in March

I'm moving to the area in March.I'm 51 yr old single man,retired and living on a modest fixed income.I can move any where I want to,so what is the best area to rent an apartment.$700.00 range.I want to be as close to the beach as possible.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Sacramento CA
1,342 posts, read 2,069,360 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Bradenton - nickname "world's largest trailer park" - this mostly refers to the west side and downtown. Out of the 3 towns, Bradenton is the most rednecky. It's VERY blue collar. Cheapest out of the three.
Sarasota - very artsy fartsy. Mostly conservative/Christian with some liberal patches here and there. Not as many bad areas as Bradenton. Bradenton and Sarasota probably have an equivalent amount of retirees (no matter what anyone else says). I have lived in both towns, and both get nasty during season. Sarasota has a good percentage of snobs, Bradenton does not.
Venice - ENORMOUS amount of retirees. The joke is, people in their 50s/60s move to Sarasota and their parents move to Venice. Venice closes at 9 pm. It's nice for the beaches. Very conservative.

Ever hear the expression that goes like this: "Bradenton, our crack whores are tougher than yours!". ?

Nothing but pawn shops, cheap motels, rednecks and preppy people all on 41 in surplus amounts.

Sarasota may be considered artsy, but its a small crowd of people. Most of the time seems like Sarasota if you go toward S Tamiami is just normal and nothing special about it. More traffic and more stuff for shopping though if malls are your thing. FL just isnt progressive enough as a state is all it really is, not anything against Sarasota. FL politics influence everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
114 posts, read 358,849 times
Reputation: 112
TootsieWootsie - One thing you didn't mention and I wonder is if you are going to need to work when you move I wouldn't move unless you have a job secured.
NJDevil's assessment is an accurate bottom line.
As far as Sarasota being good for young people — I would say it is not. I have a 24 yo nephew and he can't wait to find a job outside of this area.
Regarding VENICE — Not only does it close at 9 pm and I would put it more like 7 pm but it is extremely anti youth — that would be anyone under 30. They once tried to ban use of skateboards anywhere in town. When a high school group wanted to hold a youth concert on the beach the city — under intense citizen (old people) pressure — wouldn't allow it. Also if you are a minority or a progressive you are in an extreme minority in an intolerant town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
114 posts, read 358,849 times
Reputation: 112
Please ignore previous post as I posted it on the wrong thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,896 posts, read 14,150,252 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSr View Post
I'm moving to the area in March.I'm 51 yr old single man,retired and living on a modest fixed income.I can move any where I want to,so what is the best area to rent an apartment.$700.00 range.I want to be as close to the beach as possible.
Thanks
First question, which beach? Lido, Siesta Key...? Is that $700 w/expenses or rent only?

You will need a room mate most likely or share a house...again, depending on the neighborhood, maybe not...March is a lousy time to hunt for an annual rental as its still season & prices don't generall drop till May/June.

I've had great experience on craigslist sarasota for my two moves in the past four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Venice, Fl
1,498 posts, read 3,467,612 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
TootsieWootsie - One thing you didn't mention and I wonder is if you are going to need to work when you move I wouldn't move unless you have a job secured.
NJDevil's assessment is an accurate bottom line.
As far as Sarasota being good for young people — I would say it is not. I have a 24 yo nephew and he can't wait to find a job outside of this area.
Regarding VENICE — Not only does it close at 9 pm and I would put it more like 7 pm but it is extremely anti youth — that would be anyone under 30. They once tried to ban use of skateboards anywhere in town. When a high school group wanted to hold a youth concert on the beach the city — under intense citizen (old people) pressure — wouldn't allow it. Also if you are a minority or a progressive you are in an extreme minority in an intolerant town.
Where do people come up with this nonsense . Venice is not an angry lil old person town that hates young people. I would know I have lived here for 9 years. If you want information about Venice ask a local, not a disgruntled tourist living vicariously through an unemploted family member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM
 
571 posts, read 791,736 times
Reputation: 596
I grew up in Venice and when I was a kid, we lived in an apartment complex. My brother and I were the only kids in the complex and we consistently got harrassed for doing anything from using the pool, to riding our bikes, to breathing, etc. The first day we moved in we went to check out the facilities and got stopped by a group of older guys that had something to do with the apartment committee. They demanded to know our apartment number and then they told us (very angrily) that we needed to show our keys to them and talk to our mom before they let us use the facilities. They also said that since we were "renters", very close attention would be paid to out activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Venice, Fl
1,498 posts, read 3,467,612 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I grew up in Venice and when I was a kid, we lived in an apartment complex. My brother and I were the only kids in the complex and we consistently got harrassed for doing anything from using the pool, to riding our bikes, to breathing, etc. The first day we moved in we went to check out the facilities and got stopped by a group of older guys that had something to do with the apartment committee. They demanded to know our apartment number and then they told us (very angrily) that we needed to show our keys to them and talk to our mom before they let us use the facilities. They also said that since we were "renters", very close attention would be paid to out activities.
Your experience as a kid cant be used to gauge the entire attittude of a city. Sure there are still grumpy old people, but many younger families and kids are here now. I run into rude people old and young and to be honest , the younger generation are as rude as it gets, they respect no one and nothing. I respectfully await the day when they turn 18 so I can pop em in the mouth like their parents should have done, but I digress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top