Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

craigiri, I was actually asking WRnative. We'll see if he answers.

In the meantime, I read your post. To your points....

- We already use the BAT's since our home is brand new, and our car us near-new & energy efficient. When we need to replace it, we'll look at alternative fuel again. I drove a natural gas powered Honda Civic last time we shopped, and electric cars too, but they failed to meet our needs.

-We always vote, in every election.

-You say we should seek out politicians who are E-friendly, but then you say they don't follow through on their promises. Well, I know Trump just signed a bill allocating $120,000,000,000 to manage, and clean-up Florida's waterways. He followed through. It's out of his hands now. We'll see if others fumble the ball, or not. I suspect much of it will indeed be spent to shore up Lake O's retaining wall, but time will tell. I can see the Dem Congress scrapping the Trump bill so he can't take the credit.

You say Florida burns dirty coal instead of using PV solar farms. Actually, Florida burns less coal as a % of all energy sources consumed than most other states, and is well below the national average. Florida uses mostly natural gas, and currently upgraded its natural gas power generating plant in Port Everglades to burn 35% more efficiently + 80% cleaner than the old one that was demolished. Florida consumes less fossil fuels per capita than nearly every other state.

Here's documentation of these claims:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0af3706dd2cf2

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=FL

https://www.fpl.com/clean-energy/nat...verglades.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecca.../#631ff4aa1aad

Florida is ranked #1 on the natural environment by US News & World Report, better than your home state of R.I.:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...al-environment

Florida does not produce any fossil fuels. Florida has a very good environmental record, but not perfect. Ag runoff and Phosphate mining are our biggest challenges.

I think Florida is waiting for economics of solar to improve further, and for the energy storage technology to improve more. I'd have solar if I could, but our HOA, & nearly every other HOA around here, won't allow solar panels on roofs, or in yards. They are unattractive, can become flying sheets of glass in a Hurricane, and can cause roof leaks. I am watching Tesla's new solor roof tile advances closely though.

The U.S. is further ahead than most of the World's top economies on clean energy. We crush China & India. We didn't have a full Nuclear meltdown like Russia and Japan did. We led the way on fracking, and clean coal. Tesla's selling a crapload of electic cars, as is Nissan, who's Leaf is built in Tennessee. Many of our garbage trucks and city busses run on Natural Gas. We even have trains and ships that run on natural gas.

So, in summary:
We are already ahead of most American family's in voting record, carbon footprint size & reduction, and being E-alert.
We live in a state that ranks at, or near the top, in many E-metrics.
We live in a Country that is better than most of the top World economy's when it comes to environmental issues.

I think the attention need to be placed on states like Ohio, and Country's like China myself. Go after the huge polluters, not the people, states, and country's that are leading the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
So, WRnative, let's just say I were to convert to E-cult. What would you have me do?
Quote:
craigiri, I was actually asking WRnative. We'll see if he answers.
Why would I answer some loaded question about an "E-cult," when you never answer my extremely relevant questions. E.g.:

1) What do you think about the ongoing death of the Great Florida Reef, one of Florida's greatest natural assets?

2) What do you think happens to the more than 35 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide that accumulates in the atmosphere annually due to fossil fuel consumption?

3) Why are you not worried about the threat to the marine food chain and global oxygen production as a result of ocean acidification?

Just framing your question in terms of an "E-cult" proves that you remain a man-made climate change science denier, not much concerned about the environmental degradation of Florida, but most concerned in scoring "Big Lie" denier propaganda points.

Environmentalists are not members of some cult, but realists who respect the empirical data and the warnings of scientists about the calamity that awaits future generations as a result of the efforts of deniers such as you, likely motivated by greed more than any empathy for the suffering that awaits mankind in coming decades.

Craigiri's response was excellent, not that you have any intention of promoting a transition away from fossil fuel consumption, the necessary requirement for mitigating the accelerating devastation of man-made climate change.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM

WRnative said: "not that you have any intention of promoting a transition away from fossil fuel consumption, the necessary requirement for mitigating the accelerating devastation of man-made climate change."

Well actually, I have no need to transition away, & neither do any other Florida residents. Why? Because Florida is 6th best in the U.S. at fossil fuel consumption per capita (see link below):

https://www.eia.gov/state/rankings/

It's YOU that has some serious transitioning to do since your home state of Ohio ranks 28th! Pathetic performance WR. What are you going to do to fix this? You, and your fellow Ohioans, are trashing the planet, and causing global warming and sea level rise.

Additionally, US News and World Report ranks Florida 1st on the natural environment, and Ohio 47th! Another total failure.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...al-environment

Ohio ranks 11th in fossil fuel production, while Florida ranks 30th. You lose again.

So, Florida leads Ohio, WR's home state, in lowest fossil fuel consumption per capital, and Ohio leads Florida in fossil fuel production. Ohio's producing more and consuming more while Florida is producing less and consuming less. Epoch fail WR.

Florida leads Ohio in all aspects of fossil fuel responsibility, and its not even close. Plus, Florida's improving (Port Everglades FLA power & light natural gas power plant is 35% more efficient and pollutes 80% less than its old plant), while Ohio is going downhill with its Mammorth Ethane Carackers.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
-We always vote, in every election.
Yes, but based on your posts, you vote for the likes of Trump, Scott, Rubio, and DeSantis, all man-made climate change science deniers greatly culpable for the accelerating destruction of Florida's environment.

Quote:
Well, I know Trump just signed a bill allocating $120,000,000,000 to manage, and clean-up Florida's waterways.
So Trump signed an authorization with NO funding. What does it matter when the Everglades may be inundated in 50-100 years as a result of Trump's policies encouraging increased carbon dioxide emissions and fossil fuel production?

Oh, yeah, the unfunded authorization was for $800 million, NOT $120 billion , according to the following article.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...023-story.html

Quote:
You say Florida burns dirty coal instead of using PV solar farms. Actually, Florida burns less coal as a % of all energy sources consumed than most other states, and is well below the national average. Florida uses mostly natural gas, and currently upgraded its natural gas power generating plant in Port Everglades to burn 35% more efficiently + 80% cleaner than the old one that was demolished. Florida consumes less fossil fuels per capita than nearly every other state.

Here's documentation of these claims:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0af3706dd2cf2

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=FL
Florida is not the lowest state in carbon dioxide emissions. Eleven states, including surprisingly New York and California, and D.C., have lower carbon dioxide emissions per capita than Florida. So does Rhode Island, the latest state you have targeted to deflect attention away from Florida's sorry environmental policies.

https://www.eia.gov/environment/emis...teanalysis.pdf

Florida's total carbon dioxide emissions are fourth largest in the nation due to its consumption of fossil fuels, even though other states that produce the fossil fuels bear the burden of the large carbon dioxide emissions associated with fossil fuel production. Additionally, these statistics don't reflect the massive carbon dioxide emissions associated with tourists traveling to Florida.

https://www.eia.gov/environment/emis...tate/analysis/

Quote:
The U.S. is further ahead than most of the World's top economies on clean energy. We crush China & India.
Please document as I believe it's an utter falsehood, especially in relation to China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_by_country

Natural gas truck demand to rise - Chinadaily.com.cn

Regardless, by promoting cheap fossil fuel prices, not reflecting any of the environmental degradation externality costs associated with fossil fuel consumption, Trump and other deniers are stalling the adoption of renewable energy and energy conservation.

You remain a climate change denier who supports political leaders who are promoting increasing fossil fuel consumption and, as a result, an environmental calamity, especially for Florida.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 PM

WRnative said: "Florida's total carbon dioxide emissions are fourth largest in the nation due to its consumption of fossil fuels"

Its fantastic that Florida's the 4th largest in the nation in consumption of fossil fuels since Florida is the 3rd largest in population. I just caught you red-handed misleading people WR.

The optimal measure to use is fossil fuel use per capita (per person), and that is where Florida's 6th best in America. Your state of Ohio ranks 28th. YOU have some work to do up there in coldsville.

Please stop misleading people.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
WRnative said: "Florida's total carbon dioxide emissions are fourth largest in the nation due to its consumption of fossil fuels"

Its fantastic that Florida's the 4th largest in the nation in consumption of fossil fuels since Florida is the 3rd largest in population. I just caught you red-handed misleading people WR.

The optimal measure to use is fossil fuel use per capita (per person), and that is where Florida's 6th best in America. Your state of Ohio ranks 28th. YOU have some work to do up there in coldsville.

Please stop misleading people.
I didn't mislead anybody. It's a fact that Florida's total carbon dioxide emissions are fourth largest in the nation. My post also discussed per capita carbon dioxide emissions, which proved that your earlier posts were misleading. Your prevarications are never ending.

If per capita carbon dioxide emissions are the standard, why should Florida be admired for having higher per capita emissions than the states of New York and California, especially as the latter is a material producer of fossil fuels?

You've repeatedly attacked China as the largest producer of carbon dioxide emissions even though the U.S. per capita numbers dwarf those of the U.S. What's the difference in noting Florida's total carbon dioxide emissions, despite its larger population?

Old 12-09-2018, 02:54 PM

I'll take Florida being 6th. I'm jiggy with that.

Are you okay w/ Ohio doing so poory on fossil fuel production per capita, fossil fuel consumption per capita, ranking 47th on the environment by US News & World Report, 2300+ fracking wells, 4 oil refineries, Marathon Oil HQ'd there, Hundreds of Superfund sites, 2 Mammoth Ethan Crackers coming on line soon that will drop Ohio even further?

Your state is a E-falure compared to Florida, and the trend isnt looking good for the future.

I think your jealous of us.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
WRnative said: "not that you have any intention of promoting a transition away from fossil fuel consumption, the necessary requirement for mitigating the accelerating devastation of man-made climate change."

Well actually, I have no need to transition away, & neither do any other Florida residents.
Please re-read this thread. Among other dire environmental disasters, such as the death of the Great Florida Reef and more powerful hurricanes due to rapid intensification resulting from warmer oceans, Florida is being inundated as a result of carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning. And you clearly state with this post that you don't care.

Floridians should vote against deniers and otherwise demand a transition away from fossil fuel consumption. I do this repeatedly, but it matters little in Ohio as, perhaps even more so than Florida, it's firmly in the grasp of denier politicians. Some Ohioans actually see Ohio benefiting from man-made climate change as coastal states increasingly become unlivable, literally; that's not my perspective as I actually don't want Ohio developed any further.

Only a Florida man-made climate change science denier/hypocrite would criticize a state like Ohio, which largely produces natural gas which, as you've noted repeatedly, Florida consumes in great quantities, and still promote directly and indirectly increased fossil fuel consumption. Please explain why you criticize Ohio for producing fossil fuels, which I would like to see stopped, while still supporting increased fossil fuel consumption which is dooming mankind's future and literally the physical existence of Florida. Seems like a giant prevarication to me.

And why no mention of states like Texas and Oklahoma, which dwarf Ohio in fossil fuel production???

At any rate, your rants about Ohio, Rhode Island, California, etc., are nothing more than ignorant and obvious deflections intended to divert the discussion away from the environmental calamities now facing Florida, including accelerating inundation, the primary topic of this thread.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-09-2018 at 11:29 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I'll take Florida being 6th. I'm jiggy with that.

Are you okay w/ Ohio doing so poory on fossil fuel production per capita, fossil fuel consumption per capita, ranking 47th on the environment by US News & World Report, 2300+ fracking wells, 4 oil refineries, Marathon Oil HQ'd there, Hundreds of Superfund sites, 2 Mammoth Ethan Crackers coming on line soon that will drop Ohio even further?

Your state is a E-falure compared to Florida, and the trend isnt looking good for the future.

I think your jealous of us.
Mind-numbing obfuscation and hypocrisy.

I want to halt fossil fuel production to save mankind and Florida.

You want more fossil fuel production, for whatever reason, and are a card-carrying member of the man-made climate change science denier "Big Lie" propagandist society. Your latest posts in this thread are glaring evidence of this fact.

Readers of this thread interested in sea level rise should focus on posts 1, 7, 22, 24, 26, and 28. See post 32 for just some of the key questions Florida deniers never answer.

The rest of the thread is polluted by denier obfuscations, deflections, and prevarications, and other denier malarkey.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 AM

This article (link below) supports many of the claims I've been making on the environment:

-the environment is not a top concern for most people, and ranks low overall (19th in One study cited)

-the people who agree w/ man-made climate change (60% One study says) don't want to pay $ to fix it

-carbon taxes harm working middle class, and the poor, much more than the wealthy.

-the economics of renewables isn't quite there yet...they cost too much than fossil fuels to implement on a large scale

-Al Gore's a hoaxter...just 1 example of this: Polar Bear populations are growing

-The U.S. has been doing better than most other major economic powers in reducing CO2 emmissions

-China's the real problem

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/liz-...le-our-economy

Yes, it's written by a Fox News contributor, but if you skim the piece and just look at the numbers, you can filter out her opinions, and focus on the study's she cites, and the sources for those study's so they can be verified (if you so desire).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area