Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:26 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I actually sourced to different media outlets for this. I cannot find the 1st one easily, so I used this one. I'll try to find the 1st one again.

Key point...the chinese, italians, irish, were respectful of our immigration laws and did NOT CRASH THE GATES!

BFD my fellow C-D poster.

I resent having my hard earned cash being confiscaged by big government and being redistributed to law breakers. I worked way too hard to have my money wasted like this.
I found the original source for this data...

https://www.cis.org/Report/63-NonCit...lfare-Programs

This org used the Census Bureau's data to tabulate their survey. You'll see this if you choose to read it.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Also, in the past year , 7 of my 500 customers have experienced identity theft through the postal system. Someone has fraudulently forward their mail, etc.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM

110 posts, read 94,142 times
It is so easy to protect yourself from ID theft:

Freeze your credit report.
Don't give out your ss# to anyone ever.
Monitor your Credit often (free with most credit cards)
Get all your bills and official mail electronically.
Destroy or shred any physical mail with your name and address on it.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
It is so easy to protect yourself from ID theft:

Freeze your credit report.
Don't give out your ss# to anyone ever.
Monitor your Credit often (free with most credit cards)
Get all your bills and official mail electronically.
Destroy or shred any physical mail with your name and address on it.
I'd like to add 1 more critical thing you need to do to protect yourself...

Do NOT do any online financial transactions (even check balances) using your cell phone, ipad, mobil device, or laptop. Don't do this from a work computer either.

Buy 1 brand new desktop (it can be a real cheap one) that is used exclusively for financial transactions, and never use that laptop for anything else. That laptop should have a firewall and antivirus protection.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hey Sasie!

In my travels I came across a large family from Uzbekistan ( apparently Hispanic names are relatively common there due to the popularity of soccer) who were on every kind of assistance possible, and three were somehow here illegally. One was deported. I couldn’t understand why they drove a top of the line Lexus SUV. Brand new.

I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Anyone who thinks the “welfare recipients with Mercedes” thing is just a myth has not delivered mail for 37 years. Sure, things happen. But people who openly brag about their clever scamming are what I’m talking about here.

Some legitimately need a legup, such as the Vietnam vet who pretty much has to beg for help believe it or not. I don’t understand why the things they say are available to him, aren’t. If it weren’t for his neighbors and the local cops he’d be in trouble for sure.

The men in the this Uzbek family are young, able-bodied and speak English when it’s convenient for him.

If I wanted to scam the system, get a fake SS and commit just about any kind of fraud , I can sure learn from the people who brag about doing it!!

I understand that other cultures may not quite understand birth control. But if you’re so desperate to live why have 5 kids by age 20, and then come here because it’s too rough at home? I see that as well.
You do realize there are just as many, if not more, red-blooded Americans in red states doing the exact same thing, right?

Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 AM

^^^ djsuperfly said "You do realize there are just as many, if not more, red-blooded Americans in red states doing the exact same thing, right?"

He's claiming welfare fraud amongst (U.S. citizens) in Red (Rebublican States) is equal to, or higher than it is in Blue (Democrat) states.

Please cite you source for this claim.

Also, politicising this topics in this manner leads to the discussion veering off topic, and is divisive. Then the moderator removes the topic thread.

I hate to perpetuate divisiveness, but I need to see your source for such a wild claim. Please do not cherry pick 1 Red state...your statement bundled them all together, so please cite a source that does the same.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM

603 posts, read 573,696 times
Quote:
Let me start off by saying I'm 100% for legal immigration. Since I'm not Native American, that is how I got here. But, the immigrants that came from Europe are a lot different than those coming in from points South. The Europeans spoke some English, or learned quickly, they were better educated, and most had skills. They tried very hard to assimilate. They kept their earnings here in this economy and didnt send it out of the Country. We could also vet them for past criminal activity/records. Its Apples and Oranges.

Let me also say, I'm a big taxpayer. Plus, I own a company, and the people I pay also pay taxes due to their income levels. If you do not pay (witholding that is later refunded to you isn't paying) federal income taxes, your perspective is scewed, and you have no skin in the game. I'm sorry if that comes off as being cold, but it's reality. Nobody's taking your hard earned money and giving it to illegal aliens.

Please look at the bar graph that shows FLA...you don't even have to read, just look at the legend & graph

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ion-households

If I understand this article correctly 56% of illegals residing in FLA are getting some kind of welfare. I find that unacceptable. This clearly illustrates the need for strict border enforcement. It also illustrates the rate of people flowing into Florida is too fast, and thus, unaffordable.

America used to attract the best and brightest, and the inflows were carefully controlled so the melting pot costs didn't get out of line and cause any burden to existing citizens, but this graph shows differently.

Florida, and the US as a whole, cannot afford this wreckless spending. If these illegal immigrants were Europeans, Asians, Africans, Australians, Middle Easterners, whatever...I'd be saying the same thing.

I'm outraged that this is how my hard earned money is being spent. We can do so much better than this.
You've hit upon a real issue here, and I don't think that it just affects Florida. Dick Morris once said of lawmakers "Democrats want immigrants to vote and not work, Republicans want them to work and not vote" as an explanation for why these issues aren't being solved. Many people point to the 1965 immigration law as a turning point in demographics in America, but I don't think it's that simple.

I am a first generation immigrant who came to the United States with my parents when I was a year old in 1970. They were both professionals with doctorate degrees, my great-great-grandfather was a Duke in the royal court in the old country before the dissolution of royalty there. We've always worked and never taken a red cent in government assistance. I'm former Army.

At some point - maybe around the time of the first Bush or Clinton presidency - the nature of who we were inviting into the country changed. Instead of inviting people with specific skill sets, assets, or other characteristics that would benefit the nation as a whole we began importing masses of uneducated, low skilled, laborers from the lower classes of other societies. The end result is very similar to what would happen in another country if they started recruiting Americans to move there but focused on our inner cities to find them...and the motivation for this change, I think, goes back to Dick Morris's quote.

In fact, as someone who has seen the character of the nation slowly change from George Washington's America to a place where you drive by mosques and press 2 for English, I oppose further immigration into the United States except perhaps for limited asylum cases such as the current persecution of South African farmers and the Christian and Yazidi victims of ISIS. Note: I want a job and an iphone is not grounds for asylum. My brother snuck in to America ten years ago and lives there now isn't grounds for asylum.

Last edited by Movingrightalong...; 12-10-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 07:51 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
^^^ djsuperfly said "You do realize there are just as many, if not more, red-blooded Americans in red states doing the exact same thing, right?"

He's claiming welfare fraud amongst (U.S. citizens) in Red (Rebublican States) is equal to, or higher than it is in Blue (Democrat) states.

Please cite you source for this claim.

Also, politicising this topics in this manner leads to the discussion veering off topic, and is divisive. Then the moderator removes the topic thread.

I hate to perpetuate divisiveness, but I need to see your source for such a wild claim. Please do not cherry pick 1 Red state...your statement bundled them all together, so please cite a source that does the same.
I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that many more red states take in more federal dollars than they pay in in comparison with blue states. Sure, not all of that money is going toward entitlement programs, but enough of it is.

"Of the twenty worst states, 16 are either Republican dominated or conservative states."

https://www.businessinsider.com/red-...-queens-2011-8

"I hate to perpetuate divisiveness," you say. C'mon. The whole idea behind the thread is rather divisive.

Also, I'm not politicizing the topic or leading it off topic. If your root issue is that you don't like your tax dollars being wasted on safety-net programs for people that don't deserve it, it shouldn't matter if those people are white, red, brown, or blue. Any welfare fraud, no matter the race, ethnicity, or nationality of the perpetrator, harms us all. That is the real issue and what you should be railing against. Instead it just comes off as you saying, "I just don't want THOSE people to be getting freebies." I shouldn't have to tell you what's wrong with that sentiment.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 AM

Just because Red states on the list your linked to (that are NOT amongst the most highly populated states I must add), consume a higher % of welfare dollars, doesn NOT proove welfare fraud in these same states.

Also, this list I'm providing shows New York to be the highest per capita, so I question the validity of your source...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...ost-on-welfare

I'm guessing Blue states consume the most overall welfare dollars in whole (total $'s not %) CA, NY, WA, MA, NJ, MI, IL.

Just because Red states % consumption in a few lightly populated states are higher as a %, does NOT proove that welfare abuse exceeds Blue states, as was your claim. Spending does not equal fraud, no direct correlation.

Thus, you have not substantiated your claim that welfare abuse in Red states is equal to, or greater than, Blue states.

As a side note, your source is from 2011 & is based off of 2010 data...8 years ago. My source used the 2016 US census data, so is newer.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 10,060 times
Welfare statistic for 2018

https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/fi...tatistics.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area