U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:11 PM

83 posts, read 130,561 times

Advertisements

My electric bill is up 30% year-over-year. We have a 2300 sq ft house. We are retired - home all the time.
How do I figure out what is causing this? We have fewer people in the house. The average temperature each month, according to the FPL site, is about the same. We do have some new appliances and a new larger TV. There are various apps and plugs that are offered to help determine KW usage. I thought I'd see if anyone on the forum might have a suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM

11,628 posts, read 3,434,885 times
I think the electric company will come out and do free assessment.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 PM

593 posts, read 429,377 times
Inflation....my living situation is exactly the same the past 3 years if I am not more aware of leaving items on and its up about the same.

3 things I hate everytime I pay:
Razor blades (although I switched to $1 shave)
Cable
FPL

Old 12-28-2018, 07:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,322,509 times
^^^^^
Actually, the cost per kwh has gone down. And it is less than .10 cents per kwh which is a bargain for anyone who has paid for electric living in NYC. Con Ed [NYC] and LILCO [Long Island] has the most expensive rates [more than double FPL] in the U.S.
A few things that would cause a 30% increase in usage would be- changing the temp setting for A/C-heat, using an aux. heater, using the oven more than usual, using the clothes dryer more than usual.
A newer TV uses less electric than an older model TV. Refrigerator and water heater use a lot of kw but are constant month by month. And be aware that when you use more than 750 kwh, the rate increases [slightly]
You can see how much electric your house is using by looking at your meter. Big number is total KWH used on that meter. Smaller numbers below show how much volts are being delivered and how much watts the house is using at the current second.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:28 AM

15,951 posts, read 33,668,717 times
The biggest energy hog by FAR in any home is your AC. Is yours getting old? Older ones start using up way more energy. Also, have you changed your temp settings.

FPL is a bargain, IMO, especially compared to what others pay. I did not have to use my AC last month, got my bill today - a "whopping" $47.00!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 08:20 PM

66 posts, read 41,663 times
I would talk to FPL and tell them that your bill is up 30% and you would like to see a report of how much power you are consuming on a monthly basis. This data is readily available. Your bill is based on how much electricity you consume. They can show you what you used for every billing cycle. They should also be able to look at the past few years. See where it spikes.

I don't look at the FPL bill details but I would think that they might have numbers on it that show how much electricity you consumed this billing cycle and what you consumed this same billing cycle last year. In fact, here it is (look at energy usage):

https://www.fpl.com/rates/understand-bill.html

Remember that anything that creates heat (heating elements) or pumps water (heavy duty motors) consume the most electricity.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The biggest energy hog by FAR in any home is your AC. Is yours getting old? Older ones start using up way more energy. Also, have you changed your temp settings.

FPL is a bargain, IMO, especially compared to what others pay. I did not have to use my AC last month, got my bill today - a "whopping" $47.00!!!
Agreed. We have FPL for both our homes and it is very inexpensive......for now.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:13 AM

593 posts, read 429,377 times
What about a Non heated pool for energy usage? Pump runs roughly from 9-5 daily

Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,363,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
What about a Non heated pool for energy usage? Pump runs roughly from 9-5 daily
Easy enough to do the basic calcs on most energy devices.

I agree that FPL is cheap. I think they also have a special deal where they can hook some stuff up to a sep. meter or box and they have the right to turn it off for short periods. We had that but since we are seasonal and low energy use we did away with it.

"if you run your pool pump (2.5hp, 1800w) for 8 hours in one day, 1,864.25w multiplied by 8 and divided by 1,000 equals 14.9 kilowatt-hours."

So that pump in the example would cost $1.50 a day - that adds up. That's about what our total electric bill is!

I'd check with the experts and see the minimum time it could be left on and set a timer!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:29 AM

83 posts, read 130,561 times
I learned that one of our energy vampires was a dehumidifier. We bought it earlier in 2018 and often had it plugged in 24x7. It really made a difference, but not worth it at this cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area