U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am new here. I just bought a lot in North Port and won't build for awhile, but I am wondering the smallest possible house size I could build there? Zip code is 34286. I looked up the county codes but I saw 900sqFt in one area and 1200sqFt in another so a bit confused.

Thanks for any help!
Johnna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 08:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,327,029 times
Almost all homes being built in North Port are 3 bed/2 bath/2car garage around 1400 S.F. If you built a 900 S.F. home it would be 2 bed/1 or 2 bath/1 car garage. It would be on the market a really long time if you ever decided to sell it. There is no demand for a house that small. Even 1200 S.F. is boarder line. It would indicate a small living room.
The N. P. building department can answer your question.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 PM

Ok, thank you so much! I really appreciate the quick reply.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2018, 03:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,358,581 times
Did you check into access for utilities to the lot before you purchased it? Are they currently available on that particular street?

The reason I am asking is because they are literally thousands upon thousands of lots located within the city limits of North Port that are sitting vacant because of the high cost of running power lines to those lots. It can cost as much as $20,000 or more for power lines to be run to a property if power lines aren't readily available on the street.

The other building issue buyers of lots in North Port need to be aware of is scrub jays. Lot owners may have problems getting permits to clear land for building if the lot is located within one of the identified scrub jay habitats. They general have to do studies of the lot to determine scrub jay counts, which can take up to a year. The city of North Port does have pdf files of maps showing the scrub jay zones.

Last but not least, you'll want to find out the flood zone designation of the lot, especially if you will need a mortgage to finance building your home. If it's in a flood zone, lenders will require you to carry flood insurance for the life of the loan.

Buyers need to do careful due diligence when purchasing vacant lots in Florida, especially in areas that are less developed.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,327,029 times
^^^^^^
Correct about 'electric'. There are thousands of lots east of I-75 in the 'Yorkshire' area that will never have electric. And many other areas. Anyone looking at a lot should first look for poles/wire. FPL will install poles/transformer/wire if they are already very near. [a few lots] If there are none on the street, think about looking at another lot. Running wire to a lot can be a few thousand to tens of thousand dollars.
Except for the planned developments, FPL is in control of what areas get built, not N.P. government.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 AM

Hello SunShine Rules
Thank you SO much for all your wisdom. I have great news... My lot does have power and utilities. There are houses at either end of my street, and behind me, and the power pole sits right on the edge of my lot. My lot is not in a scrub jay zone, yay! And I haven't visited it yet after a heavy rain fall, but I'm told it's not in flood zone. I do have a friend that lives a mile away from the lot and she said I should be good, but I still want to go check on it after a heavy rain. I live in Orlando so can't get there too quickly.
Thanks again! Excited to learn so much here! I will keep learning and give NP a call to clarify details.
Happy new Year!!
-Johnna

Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM

29 posts, read 21,416 times
I agree with the poster above. You won't be able to sell that house easily if you need to. I'd make it at least a 3 bedroom with 2 bath. Smaller houses are a trend that will pass and I'm afraid many young people will be footing big bills in later years when they need the money to expand their family. That may not be you at all, but if it is, be careful.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Ok! Thanks for the input, BethMac!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area