Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:44 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMax View Post
Commercial traffic around me has doubled even tripled in some cases of vehicles - FTL, LTTL, Delivery Van (read Amazon, FedEx, UPS), Uber, personal (read Pizza, DoorDash, GrubHub). These kinds of vehicular traffic is now off the chart compared to last year and year before.
Is there any commercial rail serving this area? I never see any train tracks, or crossings. I saw some on Clark Road that were derelick near McIntosh. Maybe that is why we are seeing so many big rigs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 06:52 AM

37 posts, read 33,133 times
Not a heckuva lot these days, but there certainly are some short freight routes, but not as active as you might think......but I will say CSX is all over FL for sure https://fdotwww.blob.core.windows.ne...rsn=c5d7c85c_0

Old 02-02-2019, 08:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
The roads are always crowded in season so it’s hard for me to tell if it’s any worse this year. What I have noticed that has impacted me, is the how full the parking lots are this year where I shop. During season I could always find a spot where a longer walk is required. Even those have been filled this year and I’ve had to look for cars leaving to get a spot. That’s a first since we bought our South Venice home in 2012.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM

117 posts, read 99,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMax View Post
Commercial traffic around me has doubled even tripled in some cases of vehicles - FTL, LTTL, Delivery Van (read Amazon, FedEx, UPS), Uber, personal (read Pizza, DoorDash, GrubHub). These kinds of vehicular traffic is now off the chart compared to last year and year before.
You make a great point. Times are changing on how people shop and eat. More vendors catering to customers schedules, meaning more traffic to accommodate those needs.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:22 AM

37 posts, read 33,133 times
There is far less of a spike in "season" anymore, no where near in the late 1980s and 1990s. The increases have flattened out quite a bit. Traffic NOW in Sarasota Manatee is more 24/7, 365, much like Tampa, and that surely is the case on US Highways, and thru Interstates, esp commercial traffic haulers.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM

91 posts, read 76,791 times
I'm on Longboat Key, and I've noticed significantly less traffic this year getting on and off Longboat. Around this time of year, traffic is often backed up for many miles around 5-7 pm. In previous years, it would often take an hour to get to downtown Sarasota for a theatre performance. Yesterday there was no backup at all, and it only took around 10 minutes.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The roads are always crowded in season so it’s hard for me to tell if it’s any worse this year. What I have noticed that has impacted me, is the how full the parking lots are this year where I shop. During season I could always find a spot where a longer walk is required. Even those have been filled this year and I’ve had to look for cars leaving to get a spot. That’s a first since we bought our South Venice home in 2012.
Thx for your post. I won't even attempt to get in to Detweiler's parking lot in Venice.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 PM

117 posts, read 99,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx for your post. I won't even attempt to get in to Detweiler's parking lot in Venice.
How do you like Detweiler's? I want to try that soon.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
You have to go to Detweiler's early in the morning when it opens - very pleasant then.

I drive from Nokomis to Lakewood Ranch every morning and notice there is much more traffic this season as opposed to last season - there is a part where it slows down for no reason at all - just congestion - people even have to wait in line on the off ramps and on ramps.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
How do you like Detweiler's? I want to try that soon.
Thanks for the tip about going to Detweiler's early to avoid the crowds & traffic.

I like it when its slow, but hate it when it's busy. I stopped going altogether until mid-April.

The Venice store is closest to us. During the season, it's dangerous to pull into, or out of, due to traffic volume, and how fast the cars are driving along that stretch of 41. Traffic's moving along at ~50 mph, and there's no additional turn-in lane along 41.

When its really busy, and the parking lot is full, cars start to pull into the lot, and then they stop to decide which way to turn to find a parking spot. Well, at that moment, there could be several other cars right behind them, who are also trying to pull in, who are now also stopped in an active traffic lane (right hand lane of 41) with cars zipping past them at 50 mph. This is a recipe for disaster.

The same thing occurs outside of Sprouts parking lot further North on 41, but they have a traffic light there which helps if its Red for cars on 41. When that light is Green...look out!

Drivers NOT going to Detweiler's, and who are driving past it along 41 who are familiar with this area anticipate this issue, and move over into the left lanes. Motorists just passing through this area, or who are new here, are most vulnerable...along w/ those who are stopped in an active traffic lane.

The aisles in the stores are so narrow, it's hard for 2 shopping carts to fit. When I go, I bring a re-usable shopping bag, & skip the shopping carts. I usually buy only a few items there anyways so the bag doesn't get too heavy.

They are best for fresh foods, not packaged goods. I see a lot of people buying ice cream cones & lobster rolls at the front of the store, so they must be good. They have Amish-made items w/o excessive preservatives.

They need a traffic light there before someone gets killed. Have it flashing Yellow off-season, then activate the traffic light fully from mid-November to mid-April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area