Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

All I know is that when I visit the local news site each day there are pictures of terrible accidents....and they have nothing to do with anything except cars and roads and drivers.

The sirens can be heard day and night. Ask a Bradenton or Sarasota first responder...heck, one was KILLED this week just stopping to help another motorist.

It's way out of control - a carnage. I certainly don't drive my bike anywhere near these big roads except on the sidewalk. One even worries on the sidewalk (walking) because cars might jump the curve.

Car culture is never pretty. We all know where it leads.....visit Miami or LA. It leads to more and more lanes and therefore larger and larger on and off ramps and connections, and therefore more accidents, deaths and road rage...and more noise and more pollution and a lower quality of life.

And people are "for" this? It's fantastic. Someday historians will look back and scratch their heads "you mean they had all the tech and means to do better but they decided they'd rather do THAT?"

I can comfortably predict that will be the case. For many it was easier to get around 100 years ago with trains and electric trolleys in virtually every town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The crime at MARTA stations is scary.
I use MARTA every time I'm in ATL, all hours of the day and night. Never felt scared or threatened.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM

117 posts, read 99,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All I know is that when I visit the local news site each day there are pictures of terrible accidents....and they have nothing to do with anything except cars and roads and drivers.

The sirens can be heard day and night. Ask a Bradenton or Sarasota first responder...heck, one was KILLED this week just stopping to help another motorist.

It's way out of control - a carnage. I certainly don't drive my bike anywhere near these big roads except on the sidewalk. One even worries on the sidewalk (walking) because cars might jump the curve.

Car culture is never pretty. We all know where it leads.....visit Miami or LA. It leads to more and more lanes and therefore larger and larger on and off ramps and connections, and therefore more accidents, deaths and road rage...and more noise and more pollution and a lower quality of life.

And people are "for" this? It's fantastic. Someday historians will look back and scratch their heads "you mean they had all the tech and means to do better but they decided they'd rather do THAT?"

I can comfortably predict that will be the case. For many it was easier to get around 100 years ago with trains and electric trolleys in virtually every town.
I never hear police, sirens or traffic where I live. Maybe you live in the wrong place?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
I never hear police, sirens or traffic where I live. Maybe you live in the wrong place?
Sorry, but you must live in one of those places with full time climate control.

In Flat Florida, you can hear Sirens going to and from...and on..the Interstate up to 5 miles away. Surely you are within a few miles of the interstate and other large roads?

Most people don't even tune into noise. Notice how people will buy houses just a block or two away from larger roads? I am 4 solid blocks in from Tuttle and I can hear it plenty clearly as it gets louder and louder during Rush hour. Of course, that noise then blocks out sound from further. If Tuttle wasn't loud, I'd easily hear (and often do, at night) a motorcycle or muscle car miles away.

BTW, the maximum distance - on flat ground with no barriers - that a siren could be heard...is 35 miles. Of course, that would be in total silence. But 4-5 miles is easy-peasy. You have to let us know where this quiet spot a couple miles from any big road is because we want to move there!

Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I use MARTA every time I'm in ATL, all hours of the day and night. Never felt scared or threatened.
Did you know America's mass transit systems do NOT have to report crimes to any other government agency or to the police, GBI, or FBI? ALL stats released are a concocted summation of the crimes each mass transit system WANTS to report.

MARTA has camera's everywhere, but they do nothing to help you once an attack begins. MARTA permanently locked all the restrooms due to crime.

MARTA is losing Millions each year.

I lived in the Atlanta suburbs for 20+ years, and no women I knew that lived in the suburbs would ride MARTA after dark, even in groups. Even with all the camera's. I never rode it after dark. I would only book flights that arrived in daylight. Only time I used it was from the airport to the Doraville Station where my wife would pick me up. I wouldn't even let her wait for me at the MARTA parking lot. I had a safe place for her to park nearby, then I'd call her once I was in the parking lot pick-up zone.

Here's a report on the crimes MARTA will admit to:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/after...SiNsKFs1Ln58L/

Mass transit in America loses lots of money nearly all the time (why do you think they are very secretive w/ their finances?), is crime ridden (why do you think politicians do not make them report crimes?), and is a government concocted solution to a government caused problem...overly high population density and inadequate roads to handle traffic in the high population density crapholes they create.

High density is highly profitable for developers, builders, construction related industry, & polititicians. It's proven to be horrible for most of the rest of us over the long term. High taxes, high crime, bad schools, drugs, gangbangers, traffic gridlock.

Look at the finances and migration pattern of the ultra high density urban cities in America. When underfunded pensions are included, they are nearly all bankrupt, and losing population. Cleveland lost almost 2/3rds of its population. Chicago is the next to fall. Detroit is in recovery mode.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 AM

333 posts, read 240,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
I hear them every day. Do you actually live here?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Did you know America's mass transit systems do NOT have to report crimes to any other government agency or to the police, GBI, or FBI? ALL stats released are a concocted summation of the crimes each mass transit system WANTS to report.

MARTA has camera's everywhere, but they do nothing to help you once an attack begins. MARTA permanently locked all the restrooms due to crime.

MARTA is losing Millions each year.

I lived in the Atlanta suburbs for 20+ years, and no women I knew that lived in the suburbs would ride MARTA after dark, even in groups. Even with all the camera's. I never rode it after dark. I would only book flights that arrived in daylight. Only time I used it was from the airport to the Doraville Station where my wife would pick me up. I wouldn't even let her wait for me at the MARTA parking lot. I had a safe place for her to park nearby, then I'd call her once I was in the parking lot pick-up zone.

Here's a report on the crimes MARTA will admit to:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/after...SiNsKFs1Ln58L/

Mass transit in America loses lots of money nearly all the time (why do you think they are very secretive w/ their finances?), is crime ridden (why do you think politicians do not make them report crimes?), and is a government concocted solution to a government caused problem...overly high population density and inadequate roads to handle traffic in the high population density crapholes they create.

High density is highly profitable for developers, builders, construction related industry, & polititicians. It's proven to be horrible for most of the rest of us over the long term. High taxes, high crime, bad schools, drugs, gangbangers, traffic gridlock.

Look at the finances and migration pattern of the ultra high density urban cities in America. When underfunded pensions are included, they are nearly all bankrupt, and losing population. Cleveland lost almost 2/3rds of its population. Chicago is the next to fall. Detroit is in recovery mode.
If it is good for developers builders construction related industry and politicians, you better believe it'll happen in Florida, the 7th most densely populated state in the country.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
If it is good for developers builders construction related industry and politicians, you better believe it'll happen in Florida, the 7th most densely populated state in the country.
It already has, South Florida has Briteline and a light rail I dont know what its called...the cars have Green color in them. I see them when I visit family and friends over there. Britelines train have already killed 4 people,and their trains are empty.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehbenYahweh View Post
Sidewalks are not part of the thoroughfare built for transportation of motorized vehicles. That's why they invented sidewalks in the first place: to SEPARATE humans walking from animals (i.e. horses and horse drawn carriages - because sometimes horses would be unpredictable and spooked).

No one is talking about the use of sidewalks.

By the way, when was the last time you saw a bike rider give a HAND SIGNAL while turning? how about never - but it's required. How many times have you heard an audible warning by a bike rider who is approaching a pedestrian? How about never! (and yes, this is required too by law).
I literally do all of these things when I bike. Generalize much?

ALLLLL drivers are terrible and don't pay any attention to their surroundings then. I have to basically wave my arms before I go past a driveway with a car about to pull out. No one even looks at me or is buried in a cell phone.

We can separate bikers from cars though. I would be fine with giving them their own space.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 AM

117 posts, read 99,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sorry, but you must live in one of those places with full time climate control.

In Flat Florida, you can hear Sirens going to and from...and on..the Interstate up to 5 miles away. Surely you are within a few miles of the interstate and other large roads?

Most people don't even tune into noise. Notice how people will buy houses just a block or two away from larger roads? I am 4 solid blocks in from Tuttle and I can hear it plenty clearly as it gets louder and louder during Rush hour. Of course, that noise then blocks out sound from further. If Tuttle wasn't loud, I'd easily hear (and often do, at night) a motorcycle or muscle car miles away.

BTW, the maximum distance - on flat ground with no barriers - that a siren could be heard...is 35 miles. Of course, that would be in total silence. But 4-5 miles is easy-peasy. You have to let us know where this quiet spot a couple miles from any big road is because we want to move there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I hear them every day. Do you actually live here?
Nice and quiet here off The Masters Ave. Sounds like you picked the wrong place to live. Oh well, you can always move to a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area