Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The task force is interested in your suggestions
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...rida?_amp=true
Ah a task force. A study group. A committee. Some money. More PR hires.

The problems are evident. They involve purposeful misconduct in the interest of money. This cannot be stopped with words or with band-aids.

This is not a small problem. It's massive. It makes cleaning up Boston Harbor look like Child's play. The problem is, Florida really does not care. Not a lick....the Florida slogan is always "I'll be long gone by that time" - and they play the game over and over again.

Until they declare an emergency and then a building moratorium and then clamp down instantly and big time on septic and cesspools.....just for STARTERS....all the talking in the world nor a couple billion will change a thing.

This is at a scale like the Dutch holding the North Sea back....it would take decades to start to solve IF there was the will. But there is not the will.

It's possible that eventually the voters in Florida will matter. But this would take decades because people are trusting so they listen to pols when they are told "yes, we are going to study and fix it". It's only after another decade or two that they start to see what is going on.

I remember an entire issue of National Geo dedicated to how Florida was fixing the Everglades and Lake O. The voters approved billions. The plans were made. It would have been done by now....

It's not started. Rick Scott, who many still obviously support, ripped out the entire scheme.

And so it goes.. If I could fix it by paying higher taxes or by donation to a cause I would...but it's way past that time. First the problem has to be accepted....and that is not happening.

Short term thinking has always been the Florida Way. That's why Tampa is the biggest metro area in the country with no Trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times
And here comes the blue-green algae making its way around Tampa Bay again

https://www.wfla.com/dont-miss/blue-green-algae/

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
And here comes the blue-green algae making its way around Tampa Bay again

https://www.wfla.com/dont-miss/blue-green-algae/
Been there before (for ~1.2 Billion years) and will be there again (for Billions more).

Humans have been around for just 2.5 Millions years, so Blue-Green Alge pre-dates Humans by almost 1 Billion years.

Sometimes Mother Nature creates things Humans don't like, and do not yet understand the need for within Earth's biomes. However, just because Humans don't yet understand why, doesn't mean there isn't a reason.

There are very good reasons for Red Tide and Blue-Green Algae, we just dont understand what they are yet.
We should not eradicate them (even if we figure outhow) until we do, or we could be unleashing unknown consequences.

Look what happened when the "Save The Everglades" environmentalists forced the government to dig canals from Lake O to both coasts to drain the polluted water. I wish we had a do-over on that.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah a task force. A study group. A committee. Some money. More PR hires.

The problems are evident. They involve purposeful misconduct in the interest of money. This cannot be stopped with words or with band-aids.

This is not a small problem. It's massive. It makes cleaning up Boston Harbor look like Child's play. The problem is, Florida really does not care. Not a lick....the Florida slogan is always "I'll be long gone by that time" - and they play the game over and over again.

Until they declare an emergency and then a building moratorium and then clamp down instantly and big time on septic and cesspools.....just for STARTERS....all the talking in the world nor a couple billion will change a thing.

This is at a scale like the Dutch holding the North Sea back....it would take decades to start to solve IF there was the will. But there is not the will.

It's possible that eventually the voters in Florida will matter. But this would take decades because people are trusting so they listen to pols when they are told "yes, we are going to study and fix it". It's only after another decade or two that they start to see what is going on.

I remember an entire issue of National Geo dedicated to how Florida was fixing the Everglades and Lake O. The voters approved billions. The plans were made. It would have been done by now....

It's not started. Rick Scott, who many still obviously support, ripped out the entire scheme.

And so it goes.. If I could fix it by paying higher taxes or by donation to a cause I would...but it's way past that time. First the problem has to be accepted....and that is not happening.

Short term thinking has always been the Florida Way. That's why Tampa is the biggest metro area in the country with no Trains.
I doubt they are looking for input on the problems....as you put it, they are evident. I think they were looking for creative suggestions. God knows, there are plenty of folks who seem to have all the answers posting on this and other sites all over the internet. Surely, one of these armchair experts can take time from their busy pounding of their keyboards and let the committee in on some of their wisdom. We can only hope, I guess.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 AM

361 posts, read 258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
There are very good reasons for Red Tide and Blue-Green Algae, we just dont understand what they are yet.
It's just an acorn.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 13,413 times
Agreed. All of the armchair climatologists, extremists and left wing alarmist seem to be out in force on any Florida internet site, including this one. What gets me, is that why on earth to they live in Florida then? If it's not a problem with red tide, it's a problem with wrong-way crashed or a problem with Publix Supermarkets.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Red Tide is still staying away for now, at least in high enough concentrations to affect humans and wildlife.

Our new Governor is doing a great job on the environment, and here's some local news on that:

https://www.yoursun.com/venice/news/...4de22cf62.html

Kudos Governor DeSantis!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,085 times
Yep. Good stuff. I am not a scientists so I will defer to them and hope the funding is enough to find a long term solution.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I doubt they are looking for input on the problems....as you put it, they are evident. I think they were looking for creative suggestions. God knows, there are plenty of folks who seem to have all the answers posting on this and other sites all over the internet. Surely, one of these armchair experts can take time from their busy pounding of their keyboards and let the committee in on some of their wisdom. We can only hope, I guess.
The committees are created just to delay and funnel more money to people who pledge loyalty to the status quo.

Sorry, but there is not other answer or possibility.

As one simple example, studies by various Universities and the NIH in Florida a DECADE old lay out much of the problem. Even Jeb and his friends wanted to take actions (10's of billions worth) to avoid killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

One doesn't have to be a conspiracy theorist - it's quite simple. Rick Scott killed all the projects and funding. He outlawed the use of certain words and terms...because THAT will fix it. He made certain he never even hinted at any man-made inputs. Every statement form his office contains the prefix "naturally occurring".....

Hey, you are welcome to hide your head in the sand and not care about the future or the sewer you are living in (more and more). And I and others are more than welcome to try and inform people who and what is responsible.

Believing in paid-off industry scientists who are spending 100's of millions to build aquariums next to the shopping mall far inland is your choice. I choose to look at the facts - the NIH and the Marine Labs of the Universities that have been studying this since the late 1990's.

Anyone who is in politics, orgs or management knows what "committees" do. Not only don't they do anything, but they are deliberately formed so Rome can burn while they pretend to solve problems. How many more 10's of billions in development will done during the "study" period?

To each his own. I only hope the younger people crowd out the paid-off profiteers and eventually demand a cleaner world for their children. At this point, largely due to Rick Scott, any reversal is decades away. That means more reading this will not be around to experience a cleaner Florida.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Yep. Good stuff. I am not a scientists so I will defer to them and hope the funding is enough to find a long term solution.
If one feels that Trillion dollar problems can be fixed with millions of dollars, then you have the right attitude. But I have learned that relying on "experts" often means doom.

It's like the person who constantly goes to the doctor and listens to what all of them say. Does he or she end up better then the person who eats properly , exercises and learns to - in general - stay away from the knife and untested drugs?

I'd say yes.

In this case the first solution is simple. Stop dumping poo into the waters. I mean- really - this is something we learned centuries ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area