Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 20,219 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to the Venice area. When we visited we were shocked that Nokomis had a high rating on area vibes and is really a bad area. We love Venice however and are looking in the area for a house. Can anyone tell me how far down one has to look BELOW Nokomis that is safe and has nice homes?

Also - I was worried when we drove through Nokomis - it looked like members of a motorcycle gang were walking around. Are the public schools safe in Venice?

I'd appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,316 times
Are you kidding me? I live in Nokomis and never feel unsafe - there are million dollar homes right down the street from me - what are you talking about? Laurel Nokomis school has one of the highest ratings around. There might be a couple of sections of run down homes but most of the homes in Nokomis are in expensive gated communities.

I think you are a troll

Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Not an expert, but we have walked/ridden bikes/ridden Segways all around 'Venice', the Island, all parts of Venice and Osprey, over the past 6 winters we spend here...

Daytime, weekends, nights, et al; I have never felt unsafe or had an untoward moment.

Lived/worked in NYC and metro NY for 2 1/2 decades, so maybe I am inclined be more aware or seem non-threatening and not vulnerable, but we are Geezers and I can't think of an occurrence that generated 'bad vibes'.

M/C gangs? Lmao!

No place in the US is perfect or perfectly 'safe', but V & O don't fit the problem areas in my experience.
If you don't like V/O there are hundreds of other communities up and down the west coast of FL.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:01 PM

469 posts, read 466,177 times
Nokomis is very safe and so is Venice. Even Sarasota is safe compared to most cities of its size. We do get lots of motorcyclists here but I've never heard of any gangs of any sort. Mostly the cyclists are older Baby Boomers riding Harleys. They are harmless. I've lived in Venice for 6 years and have never felt unsafe anywhere. Heck, they roll the streets up at 6pm here. There are plenty of safe olaces to walk in Venice and Nokomis.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 PM

603 posts, read 442,474 times
Nokomis is very upper middle class ... you have a lot of homes worth $1m and up ... very safe

Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Look in relatively proximity to the bike trail(s). Florida is #1 for drivers mowing down pedestrians and people on bikes so nowhere on roads is really safe.

I heard a call-in program the other day and experienced locals put it well....they said auto drivers in Florida actually get angry at people who walk or bike (they are in my way...they are slowing me down, I'll miss the light!) as opposed to accommodating them.

This may change as the newer generations populate the place, but it's something to be wary of now. The Legacy Trail connects all the way to Venice Beach via the old Train Depot. Check out areas fairly close and you will be a happy biker and walker.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:13 PM

603 posts, read 442,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Look in relatively proximity to the bike trail(s). Florida is #1 for drivers mowing down pedestrians and people on bikes so nowhere on roads is really safe.

I heard a call-in program the other day and experienced locals put it well....they said auto drivers in Florida actually get angry at people who walk or bike (they are in my way...they are slowing me down, I'll miss the light!) as opposed to accommodating them.

This may change as the newer generations populate the place, but it's something to be wary of now. The Legacy Trail connects all the way to Venice Beach via the old Train Depot. Check out areas fairly close and you will be a happy biker and walker.
I’ve been trying my best but haven’t managed to clip one just yet .... give me time and I’m sure I’ll be mowing those bikes down with the best of them...

Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Hahaha! The only motorcycle gangs in Nokomis or Venice are rich, white, men who are retired.

My sister lives in Nokomis and never locks her door.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hahaha! The only motorcycle gangs in Nokomis or Venice are rich, white, men who are retired.

My sister lives in Nokomis and never locks her door.
"Florida Man" can be kinda scary though. I've gotten used to him....

There is a 7/11 nearby that I frequent that we could make a reality show out of. My wife won't go in there, but I love it because ALL types of people come and go. It's a look into reality.

I did get a bit freaked out the other day when the employees making my sub in a local place looked like...well, looked sorta like they just graduated from "Breaking Bad" Academy in an old motor home. But then I realized that the low wage job situations just isn't going to attract folks higher on the socio-economic totem. I'll just have to make sure my vaccines are up to date.

Florida does have fairly high crime as compared to other places I have lived...and crime doesn't stay in one area (despite the maps), it's everywhere.

One should take the proper precautions in Florida. I never felt this way anywhere else, but in FL I do sometimes carry pepper spray. Still, I don't suppose I will ever have to use it.

Now, back to mowing down bikes on Fruitville out by the interstate.....those who dare will find a bike land between 9 lanes of traffic on one side and 3 on the other (of it) with no curbs or anything else delimitating it.

Fear Factor should do a show there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area