Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

After visiting active adult communities in FL, AZ, CA and NV, we are planning to relocate from IL to the Sarasota/Bradenton area to retire. We will be 62 years old and in good health. We absolutely love the Lakewood Ranch development and have visited several communities there, both 55+ active adult and non-age restricted. We really like the idea of having all neighbors in or near retirement and the constant activities offered by 55+ communities. We have spoken to owners and prospective buyers in those communities and they rave about them. We would love to hear from other retirees who might have opted to buy in non-age restricted neighborhoods though. Do you find it as easy to make new friends and find things to do during the day? This is a major concern of ours since we are relocating from out of state and looking to quickly build a new circle of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:16 AM

468 posts, read 464,966 times
You might consider joining some meetup groups on Meetup.com. Meetup is an activity based website where people can get together with others who share their interests. My girlfriend and I are in a walking group in Sarasota and have made many friends in that group. We also belong to a biking and kayaking group. The Sarasota area has a lot of groups so you should be able to find something that suits your interests. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM

390 posts, read 396,559 times
I agree with Veniceman about Meetup. You might also find that there are unofficial social clubs within various communities, Lakewood Ranch or otherwise. For example, GreyHawk Landing is a community just north of Lakewood Ranch, and there are a variety of groups available to residents that are not advertised since they are just organized by like-minded residents.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:52 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,811,253 times
Any decent communities in North Port with no age restrictions? Everything I'm finding is 55+.
I'm in my late 40's. Mentally though, I'm a grumpy old man. Now get off my lawn.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:02 PM

695 posts, read 996,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeChgoBurbs View Post
After visiting active adult communities in FL, AZ, CA and NV, we are planning to relocate from IL to the Sarasota/Bradenton area to retire. We will be 62 years old and in good health. We absolutely love the Lakewood Ranch development and have visited several communities there, both 55+ active adult and non-age restricted. We really like the idea of having all neighbors in or near retirement and the constant activities offered by 55+ communities. We have spoken to owners and prospective buyers in those communities and they rave about them. We would love to hear from other retirees who might have opted to buy in non-age restricted neighborhoods though. Do you find it as easy to make new friends and find things to do during the day? This is a major concern of ours since we are relocating from out of state and looking to quickly build a new circle of friends.
It looks like you have done your homework! Visiting active adult communities in FL, AZ, CA, NV. That's a lot of travel and visits. I have a related question, but not about activities in SRQ. I would love to know what made you choose Sarasota over the other locations that you visited (AZ, CA, NV)?

I'm considering Sarasota as well, and have visited and researched other areas but haven't made a final decision. It would be helpful to know what contributed to your FL decision.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,496,303 times
Well - I am semi-retired and in my very low priced HOA (less than 300 a year) community we do not have amenities like a club house or community pool (we all have our own pools) but we have a book club, bike club, ladies lunch club, etc. and that is how people make friends.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:01 AM

117 posts, read 98,969 times
What is "Active Adult"? Does that mean they have a lot of sex?

Old 03-29-2019, 02:55 PM

4,610 posts, read 7,521,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
What is "Active Adult"? Does that mean they have a lot of sex?
Generally "active adult" means the builder/developer is advertising targeting a specific age group, without the community actually being age restricted.

Those types of communities often offer "lifestyle activities" and groups covering interests of a more mature group of residents.

Not touching the last question......

Old 03-29-2019, 03:48 PM

117 posts, read 98,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Generally "active adult" means the builder/developer is advertising targeting a specific age group, without the community actually being age restricted.

Those types of communities often offer "lifestyle activities" and groups covering interests of a more mature group of residents.

Not touching the last question......
LOL! It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area