U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM
 
105 posts, read 122,329 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2019/00082

HOA's such as the restrictive ones by Lakewood Ranch don't allow these GREEN concepts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,643 posts, read 9,639,004 times
Reputation: 6861
If it becomes law, it can’t be restricted. Until it becomes law, restrictions are legal and there are similar restrictions all over the state. I doubt this is really much of a problem that people care about (front yard gardens) and I’d bet a statewide survey of residents would show it. Personally, I’m OK with either decision.

BTW, Lakewood Ranch had an answer for those who wanted to have gardens. They created a community food plot at the Greenbrook Adventure Park. I’m not sure if there was enough interest to continue it but it was an option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 AM
 
6 posts, read 3,722 times
Reputation: 19
I guess the next thing is to allow pot grown outside your house....geez
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 AM
 
105 posts, read 122,329 times
Reputation: 117
That's an absurd argument but if it's legal I don't see why not?

In Lakewood Ranch you cannot do much to your front yard without an approval from the modifications committee and then you can only use plants from the approved planting palette located in your "Homeowners Manual". This is on Page 10 of the GBVA manual.

When we lived in Lakewood Ranch we would always laugh that they would advertise themselves as one of the GREENEST communities in the nation but would not allow you do grow food or even simply modify your own front yard.

You can read it for yourself and see how restrictive things are in the GREENEST community out there.

http://doclib.lwrtownhall.com:26932/Documents/Forms/Ordered%20Folders.aspx?RootFolder=%2FDocuments%2FH omeowners%27%20Manual&FolderCTID=0x01200067B28ED11 72CA1439BCF94D681296C9D&View={3218C359-787D-4E9A-A62A-7C80BF540071}
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,643 posts, read 9,639,004 times
Reputation: 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotalaw52 View Post
That's an absurd argument but if it's legal I don't see why not?

In Lakewood Ranch you cannot do much to your front yard without an approval from the modifications committee and then you can only use plants from the approved planting palette located in your "Homeowners Manual". This is on Page 10 of the GBVA manual.

When we lived in Lakewood Ranch we would always laugh that they would advertise themselves as one of the GREENEST communities in the nation but would not allow you do grow food or even simply modify your own front yard.

You can read it for yourself and see how restrictive things are in the GREENEST community out there.

http://doclib.lwrtownhall.com:26932/Documents/Forms/Ordered%20Folders.aspx?RootFolder=%2FDocuments%2FH omeowners%27%20Manual&FolderCTID=0x01200067B28ED11 72CA1439BCF94D681296C9D&View={3218C359-787D-4E9A-A62A-7C80BF540071}
I'm sure you must know that the "green" described in the marketing of Greenbrook described a certain level of energy efficiency and healthier building materials. It seems to me that anyone buying in a community like Greenbrook would be smart enough to read their contract, disclosures, and HOA docs, especially if they desired to grow a mini-farm in their front yard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM
 
105 posts, read 122,329 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'm sure you must know that the "green" described in the marketing of Greenbrook described a certain level of energy efficiency and healthier building materials. It seems to me that anyone buying in a community like Greenbrook would be smart enough to read their contract, disclosures, and HOA docs, especially if they desired to grow a mini-farm in their front yard.
I am glad that you clarified that GREEN only means what pertains to the dwelling and not anything a homeowner does that offers efficiency, conservation and sustainability outside of the "dwelling's manufacturing". Clothes lines? Tomato Plants? Pole based solar panels? Composting Piles? Rain Barrels?

I would think that anyone buying in a community like Greenbrook would be smart enough to have their realtor read all 75 pages of the "Homeowner's Manual" to them.

Ranch: "a large farm, especially in the western US and Canada, where cattle or other animals are bred and raised."

Live, Work and Play. Just hold off on the gardening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,643 posts, read 9,639,004 times
Reputation: 6861
Lol...OK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
 
20,970 posts, read 6,968,025 times
Reputation: 13989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Mane View Post
I guess the next thing is to allow pot grown outside your house....geez
These days they grow it inside...science and all. They can have many more yearly crops and much better control.

They don't even use seeds anymore.....all female plants from cuttings.
(It's legal where we live...to grow it and the hydrophonics stores do big business).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 PM
 
20,970 posts, read 6,968,025 times
Reputation: 13989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotalaw52 View Post
I would think that anyone buying in a community like Greenbrook would be smart enough to have their realtor read all 75 pages of the "Homeowner's Manual" to them.
.
Hah.....I am familiar with many millionaire owners of condos and I don't think 10% of them have ever read their condo docs or contracts. Even those who are lawyers.....

In fact, we have two owners...one was the head of Columbia University Press in NYC and the other comes from a family of attorneys and they don't even seem to know the basics.

It's pretty much impossible for most people to grok 100 pages of anything. That's why many laws require simple contracts. You know, the Paperwork Reduction Act and all that stuff....

Right or wrong, most people don't read. AND, you can bet the Marketing Department at LWR doesn't have a slogan in the ad that say "The Green Community where you can't grow Basil".....

There is a name for that. Greenwashing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,643 posts, read 9,639,004 times
Reputation: 6861
I don’t know the percentage that read the docs but I do know that nearly 100% (if not actually 100%) of buyers have a disclosure in their contracts notifying them of the association(s) involved. And, I can also bet with great certainty that not one of them had their real estate agent read them the association docs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top