U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 AM
 
Location: SF,CA
184 posts, read 426,420 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

JPrzybylski07, I recently posted a similar question although I was looking at St. Pete as well. I received quite a bit of good info that you may find helpful, here is a link to my thread - //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ease-help.html

I like the look and feel of Naples. There is something appealing about the more tropical vegetation and manicured look of the place. Sarasota seems to split the difference between the 3, it still has a somewhat manicured beach town feel to me. It's not quite as urban as St. Pete but a bit more happening than Naples. I came to the conclusion that I could probably make any of them work but either St. Pete or Sarasota were most likely a better fit for me. I think Naples would be great to have nearby for a daytrip destination.

Keep us updated after visiting Sarasota, I'm interested to hear how you think they compare. Best of luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2019, 05:48 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 944,723 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
JPrzybylski07, I recently posted a similar question although I was looking at St. Pete as well. I received quite a bit of good info that you may find helpful, here is a link to my thread - //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ease-help.html

I like the look and feel of Naples. There is something appealing about the more tropical vegetation and manicured look of the place. Sarasota seems to split the difference between the 3, it still has a somewhat manicured beach town feel to me. It's not quite as urban as St. Pete but a bit more happening than Naples. I came to the conclusion that I could probably make any of them work but either St. Pete or Sarasota were most likely a better fit for me. I think Naples would be great to have nearby for a daytrip destination.

Keep us updated after visiting Sarasota, I'm interested to hear how you think they compare. Best of luck!
Well it was a rather short trip. I have to say that brand new LA fitness on 41 just south of the hospital was amazing, it puts our La fitness to shame, no exaggeration.

The congestion was an obvious noticeable difference (especially now since Naples season traffic is dying down). I did take a trip to the north end of Siesta beach and Siesta drive had a very similar feel to driving through Sanibel Island. The beach it’s self is much wider and vast compared to Naples’s beaches. The free parking was nice but I was very disappointed they don’t have outside showers to rinse off or at the very least those foot showers, at least the entrance I went to. (Which ones do?)

Downtown was nice, I was surprised how clean it really was and how little litter I saw. It definitely had a quaint feel even though some of the high rises are fairly tall.

Overall I think Naples has me spoiled how convenient it easy to get to and from the beach, especially for a working man like me who isn’t retired and some days just want to take a 20 min soak and be done. While it seems Sarasota is a beach friendly town as well I could tell it wouldn’t be nearly as convenient as the set up I have here in North Naples.

I could make Sarasota work though, if the ideal situation presented itself where I had a decent job lined up and found a good roommate situation close to Siesta Dr not too much east of 41. Living anywhere really a mile or 2 more east of 41 while working a full time job or career would make the daily beach lifestyle more like the occasional pastime instead and that would make me sad.

So the quick trip made me appreciate where I already live a little more and definitely expanded my horizon at the same time.

If Sarasota was border line too congested for me, then I’ll rule out St. Pete and Tampa as well. No doubt Naples isn’t at the top of the list when it comes to excitement (especially for a 30 year old like me) but when it comes to the everyday mundane normal lifestyle Naples is hard to beat. It definitely would be hard to adapt back to a faster more congested pace of life after living here going on 5 years. My problem isn’t where I live nor Naples I am realizing, it’s that I’m not taking enough short getaways to other parts of the country. While Naples is not the economic center of Florida obviously there is a ton of money laying around here and I need to do a better job getting my hands on some more lol.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 04-22-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 06:23 PM
 
16,762 posts, read 36,333,030 times
Reputation: 22204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Well it was a rather short trip. I have to say that brand new LA fitness on 41 just south of the hospital was amazing, it puts our La fitness to shame, no exaggeration.

The congestion was an obvious noticeable difference (especially now since Naples season traffic is dying down). I did take a trip to the north end of Siesta beach and Siesta drive had a very similar feel to driving through Sanibel Island. The beach it’s self is much wider and vast compared to Naples’s beaches. The free parking was nice but I was very disappointed they don’t have outside showers to rinse off or at the very least those foot showers, at least the entrance I went to. (Which ones do?)

Downtown was nice, I was surprised how clean it really was and how little litter I saw. It definitely had a quaint feel even though some of the high rises are fairly tall.

Overall I think Naples has me spoiled how convenient it easy to get to and from the beach, especially for a working man like me who isn’t retired and some days just want to take a 20 min soak and be done. While it seems Sarasota is a beach friendly town as well I could tell it wouldn’t be nearly as convenient as the set up I have here in North Naples.

I could make Sarasota work though, if the ideal situation presented itself where I had a decent job lined up and found a good roommate situation close to Siesta Dr not too much east of 41. Living anywhere really a mile or 2 more east of 41 while working a full time job or career would make the daily beach lifestyle more like the occasional pastime instead and that would make me sad.

So the quick trip made me appreciate where I already live a little more and definitely expanded my horizon at the same time.

If Sarasota was border line too congested for me, then I’ll rule out St. Pete and Tampa as well. No doubt Naples isn’t at the top of the list when it comes to excitement (especially for a 30 year old like me) but when it comes to the everyday mundane normal lifestyle Naples is hard to beat. It definitely would be hard to adapt back to a faster more congested pace of life after living here going on 5 years. My problem isn’t where I live nor Naples I am realizing, it’s that I’m not taking enough short getaways to other parts of the country. While Naples is not the economic center of Florida obviously there is a ton of money laying around here and I need to do a better job getting my hands on some more lol.
Please remember you are here on spring break week, lots of people and traffic. It will all be gone next month.

Also Siesta is a MUCH busier beach than Lido. As I mentioned earlier, if you live in or near downtown you can be at Lido in a few minutes, and there are showers to wash off. I live all the way up by the airport and can be there in 10 minutes. You can go to the main municipal area or the south end where there is a park. The north end is nice and secluded but will not be near any facilities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11,937 posts, read 11,816,280 times
Reputation: 27022
Having lived in Sarasota for 18 months and having spent four weeks out of the last eight weeks working in Naples, I think I can give you a fair assessment.

Hands down Sarasota. There are so many walkable downtown areas. Downtown, Southside Village, Gulf Gate, St. Armands Circle, Siesta Key Village ect that are very close to the beaches. St. Armands is only about a block from the beach and is gorgeous.

So much art and culture in Sarasota. I would completely live downtown and then I would be close to all the beaches

Good luck! Sarasota is a completely magical place. I hope you find your spot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 944,723 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Having lived in Sarasota for 18 months and having spent four weeks out of the last eight weeks working in Naples, I think I can give you a fair assessment.

Hands down Sarasota. There are so many walkable downtown areas. Downtown, Southside Village, Gulf Gate, St. Armands Circle, Siesta Key Village ect that are very close to the beaches. St. Armands is only about a block from the beach and is gorgeous.

So much art and culture in Sarasota. I would completely live downtown and then I would be close to all the beaches

Good luck! Sarasota is a completely magical place. I hope you find your spot.
Thanks I probably already found out but got a case of the grass is greener on the other side syndrome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 AM
 
105 posts, read 131,674 times
Reputation: 117
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Been here since 85' and watched it grow. One thing that has never changed, in my opinion, is the median age. It to me has always seemed to be an older demographic and much so in line with the census tract numbers.

That said, I'm in my 40's and love it here. I've loved it here growing up. Had a rough 10 years in my own (let's find greener grass) moment but remedied that with a move closer to down town.

Sarasota is paradise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 944,723 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotalaw52 View Post
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Been here since 85' and watched it grow. One thing that has never changed, in my opinion, is the median age. It to me has always seemed to be an older demographic and much so in line with the census tract numbers.

That said, I'm in my 40's and love it here. I've loved it here growing up. Had a rough 10 years in my own (let's find greener grass) moment but remedied that with a move closer to down town.

Sarasota is paradise.
We really aren’t that far down the coast line from you if you think it about it, about a 100 miles. We are both lucky to live on the paradise coast that’s for sure!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,864 posts, read 13,527,448 times
Reputation: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Hello!

I’m considering a move from Naples to Sarasota. I’ve been living in Naples for four years originally down from Chicago. The thing is it’s a beautiful area and relatively pristine, but I’m only 30 years old and the average median age is starting to ware on me.

I know the landscaping and cleanliness Naples offers is a high standard and Sarasota might be a few levels below in that aspect, no offense intended, however it might make up in other aspects.

Naples has me spoiled just how convenient it is to roll up to its many beach access points and go for a swim, many of the times I’m at the beach less then an hour, I don’t make a whole day activity of it. Where’s the best access points in Sarasota? Say I’m living within a few miles of downtown. I know it won’t be as convenient Naples but what’s the most convenient?

Also is the general population pretty young or does it still have an older snow bird vibe?

Any personal positive or negative things you have to add please do!
First off, what's your occupation->best way to get in touch with your age group is Sarasota Young Professionals.

Population median is probably 55-60 & snowbirds are much older.

As far as rolling up on the beach, as mentioned, it'd be Lido Key. There are showers outside every entry and you can park & sun ~ if you can find a spot ~ best time for that is 9-11 a.m.

Positive: Same as Naples with respect to beach

Negative: Fierce competition for job, lack of parking at beaches, congestion on 41.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
5,766 posts, read 2,906,861 times
Reputation: 6083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Hello!

I’m considering a move from Naples to Sarasota. I’ve been living in Naples for four years originally down from Chicago. The thing is it’s a beautiful area and relatively pristine, but I’m only 30 years old and the average median age is starting to ware on me.

I know the landscaping and cleanliness Naples offers is a high standard and Sarasota might be a few levels below in that aspect, no offense intended, however it might make up in other aspects.

Naples has me spoiled just how convenient it is to roll up to its many beach access points and go for a swim, many of the times I’m at the beach less then an hour, I don’t make a whole day activity of it. Where’s the best access points in Sarasota? Say I’m living within a few miles of downtown. I know it won’t be as convenient Naples but what’s the most convenient?

Also is the general population pretty young or does it still have an older snow bird vibe?

Any personal positive or negative things you have to add please do!

Consider South Beach on the East coast. More attractive young women pass the video camera below in an hour than you will see in a week in Sarasota.
Here is the link: https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/miami/?cam=miami
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 AM
 
20,313 posts, read 6,376,978 times
Reputation: 17346
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Please remember you are here on spring break week, lots of people and traffic. It will all be gone next month.

Also Siesta is a MUCH busier beach than Lido. As I mentioned earlier, if you live in or near downtown you can be at Lido in a few minutes, and there are showers to wash off. I live all the way up by the airport and can be there in 10 minutes. You can go to the main municipal area or the south end where there is a park. The north end is nice and secluded but will not be near any facilities.
I was going to say the opposite about traffic, that it has died down considerably from season-high congestion. If the OP thought it was congested now, try driving around in February. Ugh.


And add that no locals I know go to Siesta. The renourishment / tourists have ruined that beach. I don't understand how it keeps getting on those top 10 lists of best beaches. Best chamber of commerce in history is what I figure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top