Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 AM

108 posts, read 272,622 times

Advertisements

What would typical probate costs be to settle a estate worth 800k in Venice,Florida? My mother has a will, is it worth pursuing a trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Bank accounts can avoid probate if there is a co-owner or beneficiary listed on the acct. Sometimes a bank doesn't allow beneficiaries but instead allows a "payable on death" person to be designated.

Real estate is a diff matter though. With a real estate deed - a co-owner can get the property and avoid probate if there is right of survivorship listed on the deed. Possibly other ways as well. Or a trust for the real estate.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
Trusts cost money to set up and may be just as costly, maybe more, than probate, depends on many things. People use trusts not just to avoid probate but also for privacy, nothing is filed publicly with a trust. There are many other reasons for a trust but probate avoidance is not the biggest for less than million dollar estates. My opinion, am not a lawyer.

Good advice from sware2 that bank accounts, CD's and brokerages do not go through probate if they are titled in ways to avoid this. If you are the only heir in her will you can talk to an elder law attorney to get advice about how to title her accounts but you will need to have POA to have this discussion with an attorney or bank officer.

If you are not the only heir in the will you'll have a hard time finding a lawyer to make change from will to trust unless your mom is still sharp enough to do it herself.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 2,676 times
I am in the process of settling the trust of my late mother. She made the trust in Florida. The only thing needed to be filed with the probate court so far has been her original Last Will and Testament. Yes, even with a living trust, a will is required, and it will need to be filed with the probate court within a certain time-frame after the death of the trust maker. The trust documents are not filed with the probate court.

The court system does not get involved in settling the trust, and no details are publicly available about values of the estate, but I do know a will is made to go along with the trust in Florida. The trustee has full authority to make distributions to the beneficiaries (heirs) in accordance with the trust with no oversight from the probate system. I believe the only time the court would get involved is if an heir files a formal complaint against the trustee.

As far as costs, it depends how much hand holding you want. Lawyers are expensive. They will take care of every little thing for you if you want, and charge accordingly. If all you need is a little advice and a few documents to be prepared, it will be cheaper to settle. It's hard to put a price on settling an 800k estate, but it should not cost more than 2-3k for everything (lawyer, tax filing, etc), maybe less, depending if everything goes smoothly with no disputes between heirs, and no complicated property to liquidate or transfer.

Income taxes will need to be filed using a TIN vs SSN after the final tax return of the trust maker, but the fees for preparing the taxes in my case have been minimal, certainly no more the the annual fee she paid to do her taxes when still alive.

I can't speak to the costs of a will that goes through probate, but so far the costs to settle a trust are not prohibitive, and the process is fairly simple.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:16 AM

108 posts, read 272,622 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,476 times
Jimbo is right on some issues, way off on others.

A probate or trust administration is too complicated to explain in a simple post. The attorney fees to probate an estate in Florida is 3% of the gross estate. The personal representative gets the same fee. The costs for an attorney in a trust administration is 75% of 3%. The Trustee gets paid reasonable compensation. Attorney fees are negotiable. The percentages mentioned herein are part of the statutory framework under Florida law but can be deviated from.

The final cost of the probate or trust administration will depend on the nature of the assets. What is part of the probate estate or trust? How much of the $800,000 is in the homestead? Are there 401ks, IRAs involved? Beneficiary designations are great estate planning tools, but that depends on what the testator or grantor wants to do as part of their estate plan.

For instance, beneficiary designations may not be a good idea if the goal is to provide sub-trusts for heirs or minors.

Contact a good estate planning lawyer who will go over your mother's estate and determine what the best plan is for her.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
We used an Wills & Trusts Attorney in Downtown SRQ for our Will and 2 Trusts (1 for real estate, 1 for the rest), and it cost ~$1,800. PM me and I'll share the name of the guy we used. Remember to get access to any safe deposit boxes too.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:19 PM

361 posts, read 258,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We used an Wills & Trusts Attorney in Downtown SRQ for our Will and 2 Trusts (1 for real estate, 1 for the rest), and it cost ~$1,800. PM me and I'll share the name of the guy we used. Remember to get access to any safe deposit boxes too.
Be careful when taking advice on city-data. You might be taking advice from a proud deplorable that can't even use coherent English.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
When my Mom died I was already handling her bills and I was the only surviving beneficiary so I did not even do probate. Everything was fine.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Be careful when taking advice on city-data. You might be taking advice from a proud deplorable that can't even use coherent English.
Typo..duh! Sounds like a personal attack, and stealing a thread to me. Politics has nothing to do with end of life planning. Where's yac?

Thanks for adding sooo much to the conversation jon...shouldn't it be Jon? Typo?

Tell us about your last will and testament, and your trust/s. We are trying to learn from each other, so we're all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area