Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 AM

39 posts, read 113,208 times

Advertisements

Is there a place to advertise what you're looking for? Like--- a board specifically for people like us looking to move to FLA, and put down what we want where people can email us? I'd appreciate any links. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:13 AM

oh.. one other question, how hard is it to maintain a pool?? what does it cost to pay someone to come in and maintain it? Why do all the pictures of houses for sale with pools, show the pools COVERED? I don't understand, is that to keep the bugs out? (guess a few more questions)

Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInNY View Post
oh.. one other question, how hard is it to maintain a pool?? what does it cost to pay someone to come in and maintain it? Why do all the pictures of houses for sale with pools, show the pools COVERED? I don't understand, is that to keep the bugs out? (guess a few more questions)
Helps keep dirt out, warmth in.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
Is there a place to advertise what you're looking for? Like--- a board specifically for people like us looking to move to FLA, and put down what we want where people can email us? I'd appreciate any links. Thanks so much.
I believe craigslist would be what you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 15,302 times
Default You may consider a Realtor

You may want to consider a Buyers Agent/Realtor in the area that will work with you.

Remember that in most cases the sellers will offer compensation to buyers agents which means you basically get the services at no cost to you. A buyers agent will know the local area and will be able to educate you on the in/and outs of researching and finding a home.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Yes, it would be a lot easier to contact an agent in the area that you are interest in, they can easily send you all of the listings for your certain criteria. I would think it might be pretty tedious doing it by posting it on a board somewhere. You might have some luck with Craigslist though.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:50 PM

I've heard some very negative stories about craigslist... Again, does anyone know what the cost is REALLY of pool upkeep? Do you really need to heat it down there? thanks everyone.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,054 times
Cost for pool maintenance depends on if you hire all the work done, or do it yourself. Factor cost of electric for the year round running of the filter pump and the chemicals needed to maintain clear water. It must be kept up year round whether you use it or not. The screens around the pools keep bugs out and allow for an outdoor living space. Helps keep out dust/dirt too. You also must have the equipment to clean/vacuum it also. And yes, in Sarasota you need to heat it in the winter if you plan to swim then. And there are gas, electric and solar heaters. Cannot tell you the cost for all this in exact dollars. But as you see, it does cost a bit to keep up a pool. Some prefer this to the hassle of never getting rid of all the sand from the beach you pick up when you go there. Plus the hassle of parking and crowds there. Beach or pool, each has plusses and minusses. Sorry could not help more specifically. There are plenty of pool cleaning people you could call for an estimate on upkeep and that should be able to answer your questions.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM

83 posts, read 277,406 times
Default Mom in NY

Hi
Avoid Craigslist, too many scammers and problematic sellers. Work with an aggressive realto who will work hard to get you what you want.
We are moving from NY too - next month! I worked with a crappy agent first and then found a great realtor who has basically spent 4 weekends in a row showing me houses, also have a great guy who maintains pools, and does the whole house maintenance. (We've been looking to move to Sarasota for 10 years so I have done heaps of research).
I don't want to post their details as I'd be a bit uncomfortable posting contact details online, but I think you can email me direct through this.
I'm happy to give you the details should you wish to email me for them.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Default Pool

Quote:
Hi Mom,
My wife and I were kicking the pool thing over and over. We opted against it because most people who had one said they didn't use it much. There is also the cost of heating it which can add up. One other factor is that the community where we bought has a pool area and we thought if our house had a pool we would be tempted not to get out and meet the neighbors. We think we made the right choice.
There is a ton of informtation on this forum. Be sure to read older threads also, though they might be a bit out of date pricewise. Also, we just bought last week and if you read my post, "Just bought in Sarasota. Helpful hints" you can get some worthwhile information.
I would definitely recommend working with a broker, preferably a buyer's broker.
Please feel free to PM me if you desire more specifics. I learned from the generosity of others sharing their knowledge and it is only fair to pass that knowledge down to the next generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area