Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,671 times

Advertisements

We are in South Sarasota and want to have a pool cage put in over the pool along with installing a paver-travertine pool deck. Can anyone rec companies to install a Pool Cage and Paver company to do the pool deck? Should we hire one company that does both or better to hire them separately?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 PM

66 posts, read 60,105 times
T&M aluminum in venice does good work but they are just a cage company.

The Paver Guys are a good paver company with good pricing.

I know you are looking at one shop solutions. I would stay away from Absolute aluminum.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure you get MULTIPLE quotes from different companies. Try to get quotes from 4-5 companies.

You will find out that pricing will vary greatly. Do your research.

Some companies are hungry for business and others throw out high bids looking for people who don't bid competitively.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,786,330 times
While shopping, also ask for payment terms. If a company asks for any payment in advance, push them to the back of the line. I have friends who paid some $ up front for materials, and the materials have now been sitting behind their home for weeks awaiting installation. Their HOA sent them a letter requiring the materials be removed! They had to move it all into their garage themselves, and now park the cars outside while they fight with the cage company to return to do the job.

Once they have your cash, they can do your job when its conveninet for them, and not you.

I'm not saying ALL company's that require $ up front are bad, I'm just saying avoid that if you can.

I also read here about the cage company pulling the permits, versus you pulling the permits, and I dont recall which is best, but one is better than the other. Use the search function on this forum to find out more.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Another reason to avoid paying any monies up front. Let's say the contractor takes your money then vanishes (happens more in Florida than other places it seems to me), and they dont pay the cement company, or th paver company, of the aluminum company. Those suppliers will place a lien on your home until they get paid.

So, you could wind up paying TWICE for these things if you pay monies up front.

If any contractor is asking for monies up front, you had better check their credit standing with all their suppliers. Drive past their place of business, ask neighbors how long they've been there. Check with Better Business Bureau, make CERTAIN they have a valid and current contractors license. Ask for a copy of it. Also ask for their workmans comp insurance policy certificate. Any contractor with more than 2 employees must provide this.

If they resist providing any of this information, run away.

I know somebody who just got stung, and liens were placed on their home. Contractor vanished 3 weeks ago w/ their cash.

They just found out the contractor wasnt licensed. They are in a real pickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area