U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:31 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,681,630 times

Advertisements

OK, we all know that tourists are vital to some economies but let's face it, they're annoying. I presently live on the left coast and we had our first warm weekend of the year. Alameda was teeming with pale, lost people who seemed to think stopping in the middle of the road and blocking two lanes of traffic for no reason was perfectly OK. I was just trying to get to the post office (which happens to be about 300 feet from the beach) and it took forever.

I've been strongly considering moving to the SW Florida coast because I like warm water (the water here is always 45 degrees) but I realized that you guys have warm weather all year. Does that mean hordes of lost, pale, or freshly sun burnt people all the time?

How bad does the tourist problem get in Venice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 PM

413 posts, read 1,148,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
How bad does the tourist problem get in Venice?
Joe,
I am not an expert as we were just in Venice for a few hours a few weeks ago. We were on a house-hunting mission. I can't answer your question specifically but I will tell you that Venice has a very old population from our perspective, and we are 54 and 55. Very old population.

Good luck,
smiledoc1

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,352,869 times
I live in Nokomis, just 3 minutes or so north of Venice. I drive through Venice every day to take my son to school. I have to tell you, the traffic in Venice is horrible. Granted, some times & days are better/worse than others but overall, I am counting the days until I no longer have to make that drive. We live 8 miles from his school & it takes me 18-20 minutes on a good day to make that drive through Venice. There are alot of tourists clogging the roads in & out of the beach plus the extremely high population of 70+ year old residents on the road. Not a good mix- the driving is not only slow going but hazardous-

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM

15,957 posts, read 33,685,143 times
Venice has the oldest population in the state. I wouldn't call it "touristy", just lots of REALLY old folks, with traffic problems to go with that demographic.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM

7,484 posts, read 20,908,196 times
The traffic does get pretty bad in the winter months. I wouldn't classify Venice as touristy though. It does have more of an older population. The Island of Venice has a pretty cool downtown with some neat shops. Bella Luna Cafe is a great place to go have lunch.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
Venice is touristy because there are lot of people that own second homes here--the quota of people coming down during the winter months ranks much higher in people who are long-term renters or second-home owners so they are not touristy in the sense of people who come for 4 or 5 nights and go home like Orlando or Miami or Tampa--

yes, most of these people are retired and while some of them might be in their 60s many more of them are 70s and 80s...these people come and stay for 3-5 months

you can see a definite jump in how long it takes to wait for a table at Sharkey's or the lines at Publix after they have arrived--condo parking lots that were relatively empty in May-October now are crowded with out of state license plates...

summer months are not AS bad because then more of the 2nd home crowd have gone back to New Jersey or where ever--but they are getting more crowded recently than say 5 years ago--summer toursits are usually younger -- people (30s/40s vs 70s) coming down to use their folks 2nd homes a lot of times and they do tend to stay for more like a week or two--and they have kids (sometimes theirs or sometimes grandkids) so there are more chldren on the beaches and in the restaurants....

traffic is bad because lots of the roads are under construction and have not been expanded before to handled the number of people coming to this area...
and getting a kid to school is busy drive time--I think the lights are also poorly sequenced---which adds to frustration

we have daughter and sil who live on the island and we have visited them during the summer and during other times of the year so partly this is from personal experience and their commentary from living there for 4 years...
I don't think the traffic is any worse than where I live in a town between Dallas and FTW TX--most people who live in Venice area know some shortcuts to stay off the main drags but that is not so easy to do in there as in other locations because of the Gulf and the Intercoastal setting up barriers...you get funneled into trafficways...

I agree that many of the older people who drive in Venice area are poor drivers--but their age is only one factor in why they are dangerous--they come from states like New Jersey and New York--I think they were probably always bad drivers--we are just not seeing them when they were in their 30s and dangerous...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM

960 posts, read 1,462,904 times
I agree with loves2reads post about Venice.
If you are looking to get away from tourists, seasonal crowds and horrible traiffic then Venice is not the place.
I would suggest Cape Haze/Windward south of Englewood. Beautiful area, less traffic.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 29,834 times
Venice has a horrible traffic problem and rotten drivers who tailgate, don't know what "no U turn" means, are dyslexic when it comes to speed limits 35=53, and they stop on green and go on red. They aren't all old either, some of them are just bad drivers.

Last edited by Jodi Goes Hollywood; 04-15-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
and I agree with Jodi about the drivers--but that is not just Venice--think many of the drivers all over FL are not that good...

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM

12 posts, read 29,834 times
loves2read, very true observation about Florida drivers.
Driving on the interstate is a nightmare (I-75). When I lived in Illinois the truck speed limit was alot lower than 70 mph, I think that it's 55 for trucks and 65 for cars, and there are alot less accidents.
Back to Venice traffic. This afternoon I was on Venice Island picking up my son and the traffic was a nightmare it was backed up from the 41 Bypass over the Venice Avenue bridge to 41.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area