Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times

Advertisements

For those of you in the city of Sarasota or the Palmer Ranch area, you may want to know that the YMCA announced today they will be closing the fitness centers at both of the Sarasota locations in September.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/07/2...tness-centers/

The news story on TV mentioned that the YMCA will be looking for buyers for both properties but that they do not have any prospects at this time.

Sad to see them close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
This is quite sad...as these types of facilities are a big draw for many.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:13 PM

25,727 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Something is terribly wrong here. I lived very close to the Potter Park facility, and that place was PACKED ALL THE TIME.

If you cannot make money with the hoards of people going into, and out of there, then it's clearly mismanagement.

I was going to join, but I could never find a parking spot it was so overcrowded. The parking situation is why I didn't join.

I would suggest looking at what the top execs are making at the Y. I would also increase parking at Potter Park.

As a business consultant with an MBA, and a history of successful turnarounds, I could easily fix this.

I suggest eliminating the playground at the rear of the property (underutilized), and convert that space into additional parking and pickleball courts (fastest growing sport in America). I'd also call for a total review of all executive comp plans to weed out the fat. There must be a ton of fat there.

Potter Park YMCA would do a 180 under my plan. I cannot speak to the other location since I do not have knowlege of that site.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Something is terribly wrong here. I lived very close to the Potter Park facility, and that place was PACKED ALL THE TIME.

If you cannot make money with the hoards of people going into, and out of there, then it's clearly mismanagement.

I was going to join, but I could never find a parking spot it was so overcrowded. The parking situation is why I didn't join.

I would suggest looking at what the top execs are making at the Y. I would also increase parking at Potter Park.

As a business consultant with an MBA, and a history of successful turnarounds, I could easily fix this.

I suggest eliminating the playground at the rear of the property (underutilized), and convert that space into additional parking and pickleball courts (fastest growing sport in America). I'd also call for a total review of all executive comp plans to weed out the fat. There must be a ton of fat there.

Potter Park YMCA would do a 180 under my plan. I cannot speak to the other location since I do not have knowlege of that site.
Bad news! My wife and I are members at the Potter branch, and we are very disappointed.

How does a gym that is usually busy lose money? I agree -- likely bad management. I was talking to someone there a few weeks ago about their failed "towel policy"," in which that lost thousands of dollars in towels to theft over many months until they finally decided to stop passing out free towels.

I have to think that someone will buy the facility eventually. It is important because it serves as more than just a gym. Its a community center, important to many residents of the Palmer Ranch area. I personally know a few seniors who go there every single day -- it provides structure and purpose to their daily routine, and therefore it is important to their mental/emotional health.

The idea about pickleball courts is a good one.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:46 AM

88 posts, read 74,108 times
Maybe wrong doing going on, like stealing or maybe embezzlement which has happened all around SarasotaCounty for decades ha ha - something smell

Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeti Li View Post
Maybe wrong doing going on, like stealing or maybe embezzlement which has happened all around SarasotaCounty for decades ha ha - something smell
Par for the course. But usually the criminals just skim rather than killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Adding the obvious to the towel stories, it's possible that everyone is "on the take"...or at least too many! Sooner or later there is nothing left!

The MBA above who claims they could fix does not figure on "what if I cannot find help who are not criminals at heart?" or "what if a large percentage of my customers steal stuff?".

In the end, an immoral or unethical populace cannot be ruled in the usual manners.

BTW, isn't the other facility around the corner (Friendship Center?) somewhat similar in providing community support for seniors (at least)????

https://friendshipcenters.org/servic...ivity-centers/

Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 PM

50 posts, read 59,540 times
Sad to see this happen. Maybe a cooperate gym like 24hr fitness or L.A fitness can take advantage of this oppertunity?

Also I'm a social worker and YMCA is a collateral that's serves the community and contracted by the state for case management and cps and foster family services.

Wondering what will happen to that aspect of thier organization?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:35 AM

88 posts, read 74,108 times
corruption and mismanagement - some graft even in local foundations

Old 07-27-2019, 01:03 PM

25,727 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchrismsw View Post
Sad to see this happen. Maybe a cooperate gym like 24hr fitness or L.A fitness can take advantage of this oppertunity?

Also I'm a social worker and YMCA is a collateral that's serves the community and contracted by the state for case management and cps and foster family services.

Wondering what will happen to that aspect of thier organization?
The Potter Park location is a bit off the beaten path, and lacks visibility from a high traffic-count roadway. The existing buildings are dated. I'm guessing there's a developer who already has plans drawn up for that site. I predict we'll be seeing high density three story condo's, or apartments there

The social work could move to a nearby Church along McIntosh, just North of Central Sarasota Pkwy.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Update story:

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/07/3...omorrow-night/

Push to save both Sarasota YMCAs, town hall meeting scheduled for tomorrow night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area