Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times

Advertisements

^ Well written post...another side to the 'this may be the best place on the planet for nearly everyone'.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:31 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
This article puts a totally different spin on Florida's $1,000,000,000,000 annual GDP:

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonv...8-largely.html

37% growth since 2010 . Most of the dying States in the Northeast would KILL for that kind of GDP growth. Look at the jobs growth too! Amazing.

The rich Gen X'ers contribute to these positive results as does the leadership Florida has had since 2010.

Sometimes, there's just no satisfying the gloom 'n doomers. They live life seeing the glass as half empty

The rich Gen X'ers, and Millions more, couldn't be happier here. They love their jobs, their gigs, and their incomes. Most people in the gig economy are supplementing their incomes by choice and ambition, and workers in the gig economy are happier than workers in traditional jobs says this article:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...904-story.html

If you can't be prosperous and happy here, it's nobody's fault but your own. If your friends are unhappy and unsuccessful here, could it be time to make new friends.

I'm off to the golf course with my rich Gen X friends to wack the little White ball around, and talk about how our Dividends are piling up

Old 08-04-2019, 08:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotalaw52 View Post
Can we get a breakdown of the jobs market that the inflows are coming for? I work in legal tech but and made most of my money in tech but it's not exactly silicon back alley here. It must be in services, medical and legal?
And likely financial field—managing people’s money and selling investment ideas

Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 AM

I've only been back in FLA for ~3 yrs, & I've only interracted w/ ~100 people to the extent where I know what they do for a living, their age, why they came here, & where they came from.

Maybe 20% of them are Gen X'ers, or ~20 people. Here they are:

1 worked for a utility in NJ, and moved here to take a better position with FPL. Civil Engineer, ~40 yrs old.

1 sells educational materials to school systems & teachers on line, moved down from NE. ~42

1 does IT Mgr works from home, moved down from the Midwest. The spouse works too, but unsure in what field. ~45

1 is retired ex-police chief from NJ, retired at 51 yrs old, now he runs the security for a large company here

2 are retired law enforcement at age 52. They now run a home watch business that exploded with growth

1 mid-level grocery Manager for a chain up East, took a General Store Manager position with large grocer here ~40

4 are retired teachers who saved, invested, do gigs, and own mutiple rental propertys 50-54 years old

1 is a sport professional teacher and organizer of events, & earns money playing the sport professionally

1 is a Chiropracter who moved down here from another Southern State

2 are in real estate sales working for a large regional home builder selling new homes ~46 & 52

1 was a commercial pilot who got tired of the hours & travel, so now owns a large lighting retail store here ~40

1 owns an aluminum and screening company ~54, Son in the business with him, and have 8 crews/trucks here.

1 owns a audio-visual store & services businesses ~53-54

1 is a Dentist who sold his practice up North, then bought an existing practice from a retiring Dentist here ~45

1 owns a successful well-established Italian restaurant here, moved down from NY, sold their restaurant there ~50

So, only 4 out of the 20 work in a traditional job for an employer as an employee. I think that is where so many here are off base. Many here have tunnel vision when it comes to making money. The are stuck in the past. All they know, and think about, are jobs where you take a $100k+ position with a large corporation. Those jobs are becoming extinct, or were never here in FLA since there's not much manufacturing, or IT. Makers/strivers have adapted to create their own jobs/businesses, and a lot of us/them are killing it.

These rich Gen X'ers worked hard, saved, took risks, invested in themselves & elsewhere, learned new jobs, moved to a new place, and are now thriving. It's a wonderful life to have accomplished this, and to never again be beholden to a tradional employer's whims. The freedom and flexibility are exhilarating. None of these Gen X strivers would ever go back to work in a traditional workplace ever again...unless their lives depended upon it.

Small businesses employ 80% of Americans. This is where the money is at. Of the remaining 20%, very few of those worker bees make $100,000+. Think about a large format Publix store in this area. They might have 100 employees, but only maybe 1 or 2 make $100,000+.

I hope readers here learn from this post, and become inspired to strike out on their own like most of the rich Gen X'ers have done in the study I posted. Those who say there are no high paying jobs here do not know what they are talking about. Their definition of "job" is way too narrow, and they need to look at making money in a whole new light.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 08-05-2019 at 06:33 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Can we get a breakdown of the jobs market that the inflows are coming for? I work in legal tech but and made most of my money in tech but it's not exactly silicon back alley here. It must be in services, medical and legal?
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...onaire-florida

Lot's of jobs in the financial sector in Palm Beach County says this article.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

105 posts, read 146,461 times
It's definitely good for the FL regions, financial, medical, legal, I just personally wish we had a tech hub here. I've read some good-ish things about USF SRQ/Manatee in terms of promoting technology to younger people but younger people seem to flee SRQ for better hopes and dreams. I prefer to stay here in paradise.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It's definitely good for the FL regions, financial, medical, legal, I just personally wish we had a tech hub here. I've read some good-ish things about USF SRQ/Manatee in terms of promoting technology to younger people but younger people seem to flee SRQ for better hopes and dreams. I prefer to stay here in paradise.
I just saw an article about an IT company called Roper in Lakewood Ranch near Bradenton, acquired another IT company.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:48 PM

105 posts, read 146,461 times
It's not an "IT" company more like an industrial company that has acquired other companies. It's a great company, I know people that work there. Again, we're not even close to being a back alley for S.V. The demographic for tech is just not here. I would say that the closest thing to a NY or S.V. tech company in our area would be Revcontent.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It's not an "IT" company more like an industrial company that has acquired other companies. It's a great company, I know people that work there. Again, we're not even close to being a back alley for S.V. The demographic for tech is just not here. I would say that the closest thing to a NY or S.V. tech company in our area would be Revcontent.
Thx for the correction. I think the news story I read improperly ID'd Roper as an IT firm.

With our great weather, low costof living, and low taxes, its just a matter of time until the IT firms start moving here. The costof living and doing business in Silicon Valley are extremely high. Some IT employees live in their cars there because they cannot afford housing. WalMart lets them park in their lots.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx for the correction. I think the news story I read improperly ID'd Roper as an IT firm.

With our great weather, low costof living, and low taxes, its just a matter of time until the IT firms start moving here. The costof living and doing business in Silicon Valley are extremely high. Some IT employees live in their cars there because they cannot afford housing. WalMart lets them park in their lots.
Not happening "sparky". IBM tried it in the early 80's, didn't work out (OK, they did sell that Internet division to the then AT&T for 3 billion).

I think Flor-i-duh will never be a tech hub. But enjoy your new home in the boondocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area