Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 63,208 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info/input folks! I applied at the Imagine School.
I subbed and worked at my local school here in Ohio for 8 years while my kids were young and when they finally had openings, they didn't even call me in for an interview (new principal) So, I know all about "getting your foot in the door" philosophy. I made sure I ruffled no feathers while building my reputation there. I graduated from the school district. My kids go there and do not cause trouble get A/B grades.......go figure. Like someone said it's all who you know or who they know and want to give a job to.
Anyone care to elaborate on High Schools in North Port area or Sarasota County? I know that covers a huge area. I have children ranging from K-9th gr. Just curious. How is the new "school within a school" thing going in the high schools? Is it working?

Last edited by Wutsup; 04-16-2008 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
WUTSUP--do you have a degree in education or a batchelor's degree in a different subject matter?
The first time I tried to come back into teaching after being home with my children, I interviewed for a job at a middle school in my own ISD--and I was subbing at the same time in that district--the job went to someone who refused to sub--and the principal made it sound like he admired her decision not to settle for second best--subbing--vs a full-time position...maybe there were other reasons--but it was like why should I hire you to teach when you are willing to work for a sub's pay--
that really made me angry...and I understand your frustration by trying to be a good team player by subbing--but it does not always work out
at the HS I finally returned to teaching full time with it ws the head of the dept who had lots of input about who was hired--and at that time it was a she and she would hire her sub teachers IF she thought they were good enough...it just depends on how many people they have applying and who is doing the hiring
I have found that the personnel office/huan resources has the LEAST power in who is hired but the MOST power in who gets interviewed--which just seems so brain numbing

if you have applied on-line with Sarasota county then I would send resume letters to any school principal where you would be interested in teaching---and screw the personnel office...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
I agree, they play favorites. You have to watch HR personell too, they are in charge of keeping your records so make sure your applications are up to date with everything. I hate the paperless thing.. what happened to the good days of visting schools looking your best to get an interview. It's nice to see a face instead of just a name to pick..

Old 04-27-2008, 09:51 PM

42 posts, read 98,594 times
This is an interesting topic! I'm an elementary teacher for Toledo Public Schools, and have also been researching some Florida districts. Just have one question. Is there a local teachers union in Sarasota County? Getting fired for sending an e-mail to your mother is against our district's policy, but there is no way you would get fired for it! There are actually teachers who probably SHOULD be fired, but aren't because of our union's strength and protection.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
No there really isn't a union. You can join their so called union in Manatee county.. It's extremely pricey and they only work for certain things. AND, since Florida is right to work state, they can basically fire you for anything. Florida is a non union state so some of the school districts don't have teacher unions. I don't consider Manatee's even a union because they are really limited and don't want to get involved in many of the important issues that you would need them for..As far as Sarasota, Im not sure..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer55 View Post
This is an interesting topic! I'm an elementary teacher for Toledo Public Schools, and have also been researching some Florida districts. Just have one question. Is there a local teachers union in Sarasota County? Getting fired for sending an e-mail to your mother is against our district's policy, but there is no way you would get fired for it! There are actually teachers who probably SHOULD be fired, but aren't because of our union's strength and protection.
Here, in Florida, you can get fired because you have a hair out of place; it doesn't matter. It's called, "right to work" believe it or not....

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM

right to work is same situation as TX but it is much more difficult to dismiss a teacher after the initial contract year
much more documentation of problems and failed to remedy need for improvement

I don't think anyone would get away with letting a teacher for something as meaningless as what the Ladywithafan implies
mainly because there are inept teachers still teaching...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 23,773 times
Right now all FL school districts are in a major budget crunch; the Republican legislature has decided lowering taxes on the richest residents is their main priority, and if teachers in Manatee County have to take a pay cut and deal with layoffs (5% cut and 400 layoffs so far), then so be it.

Basically, Florida's "leaders" are working hard to make the place unlivable. If you're up to teaching your own kids, no problem, and if you don't think you'll ever need any social services, no problem there, either. But be careful.... they're now *removing* most of the nursing home regulations that were put in place a decade back due to endless abuses.

Bottom line: Florida is a great place if you have money and good health. Otherwise, not so wonderful.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM

frankly the people who will be complaining the most about loss of services and oversight to prevent abuses are the same people who elected the Republicans in the state legislatures (all of them not just FL) and in the federal Congress---
they don't seem to realize that "govt' of the people, by the people, for the people"--as A Lincoln the poster child of the original Republican party said--means ALL the people get taxed according to their ability to pay---
they want all services at A+ level but at bargain basement prices...
basically water from a stone---

Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 AM

153 posts, read 479,917 times
I know it's not in the school district, but I read that Head Start is hiring quite a few teachers. The pay seems a little lower than a typical teacher but not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area