Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

My sister lives bayfront in Nokomis and for the first time ever, they had problems and could smell it in their yard. This was when it was its worst the summer of 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 08:48 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
No noticeable impacts of Red Tide for the Summer of 2019. No stink, no fish kills, no closed beaches, ect..

Not on the beach, near the beach, or 6.4 KM from the beach. We had a GREAT Summer!

I know this irks some of you alarmists, conspiricy theorists, end-of-timers, and gloom & doomers.

Maybe next year it'll return, and you can start the blame game all over again, never accepting any responsibility yourselves, but instead blaming the rest of us. None of you traded your cars for bikes, or extracted your HVAC systems from your homes. You're still buying plastics, and Chinese products. You're still eating meat, and never became vegan.

Everything you say caused it in 2018, failed to cause it in 2019. That NASA scientist may have been right about the impending Ice Age. Since so many here claimed global warming caused Red Tide, by your logic, we must now have cooling.

If humans caused it '18, then humans fixed it in '19. If you say that Mother Nature fixed it, then its possible that Mother Nature caused it too.

So, what about the impact of Red Tide?

I have not noticed any collapse in home prices here. In fact, we have a thread on this forum titled "is Sarasota in a bubble?" More of us think we are, and the prices are TOO HIGH!

So, no real estate calamity came out of the 2018 Red Tide bloom as so many predicted here. Just the opposite occurred, as prices continued to climb throughout most of the past year.

I have not had a hard time finding businesses along the coast to eat at, buy stuff at, rent boats or jet ski's at, rent a room at, ect.. I have seen ZERO long term effects of 2018's Red Tide.

So, no economic calamity came out of the 2018 Red Tide bloom either. Short term losses only by some small businesses, (mostly fishing charters & beachside concessions) most of whome have now recovered. You will have zero issues in booking a fishing charter today, or buying a sandwich at the beach.

Tourism continues to BOOM! Even in the Red Tide year of 2018, tourism was up by 7%. The doom & gloomers were wrong. 126,100,000 tourists came to FLA in 2018, despite Red Tide.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/n...at-record-pace

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/r...o-florida-2018

Go back through all the Red Tide related posts in this area's forum's and refresh your memories as to who was predicting what. If you search this forum area for the word "Acorn", you will see many of mine....which turned out to be dead-on!

I predicted the impacts of Red Tide will not be:a reduction of tourism, falling real estate prices, or lasting damage to Florida's economy. I claimed over and over and over again that "the sky was not falling, and it was just a darned Acorn". The impacts were over-sensationalized by the media, and all the Chicken Little's here.

So, 1 year later, where are they all now? When you went back and read their posts, didn't they seem ridiculous? The Red Tide bloom of 2018 was amongst the worse Red Tide blooms in recorded history, and yet here we are, most of us healthy, happy, and prospering. As time passes, their alarmism will appear to be increasingly unhinged.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 09-25-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-10-2019, 12:14 PM

44 posts, read 46,390 times
Default The Red Tide Health Affects are Real

I moved to Sarasota early spring. I live in the Gulf Gate area, near Siesta Key Beach. There have been recent reports that show Red Tide in the Sarasota, Siesta Key area. I have developed strong symptoms of Red Tide respiratory problems ... I have not been this sick for years and consider myself a healthy person. Wished I would have done more research in regards to Red Tide before moving to Sarasota. It is detrimentally affecting my health and I have been reading of many others here in Sarasota who are sick from the Red Tide. I work with people who have lived in Sarasota 30+ years and they no longer go in the water.

I've been coming to Sarasota to vacation for years - I've always looked at it as my "healing place" with the sand, saltwater and sun. I'm so disappointed - I will be moving out of Sarasota and Florida ASAP. I value my health over a few months of nice weather in the winter time.

Do research on Red Tide before you decide to move, or at least rent an apartment for the first year before buying. There seems to be quite an effort put into "quieting" the effects of Red Tide on one's health. There are several Facebook pages you access (in FB search, "Red Tide".

Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Please disregard this erroneous post. There are NO reports of Red Tide in this forum area at this time, or in the past 3+ weeks, and the Red Tide South of here has been breaking up and dissipating for 3+ weeks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area