Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 4,207 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if last season's severe red tide had any direct impact on the neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch - health concerns, eye or lung irritation, foul smells. Also, are real estate values being impacted ?
It is hard to understand just how far in from the beaches the impact was felt.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I don't know about Palmer Ranch, but we live in a bayfront neighborhood and there are zero issues here that I know of.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogy1302 View Post
I'm wondering if last season's severe red tide had any direct impact on the neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch - health concerns, eye or lung irritation, foul smells. Also, are real estate values being impacted ?
It is hard to understand just how far in from the beaches the impact was felt.
Thanks.
Studies show the immediate impact (when it is present in high concentrations) to health as being up to 5 miles inland....obviously when the wind heads in that direction.

We certainly would feel it 2.5 to 3 miles inland where we lived.

But, to be clear, this is ONLY during major blooms. In the lesser years it typically was just a few days here and there. As you may know, it's gotten measurably worse since about the turn of the century.

As far as Real Estate Values there are MANY things that play into those - traffic and pollution ARE among them, but you cannot assign a value to them in dollars. Quality of life for Floridians in many areas and for visitors (to our area) has been declining, but there are few alternatives so there is always someone else willing to take the place of anyone who moves on or elsewhere....

My general feeling about RE in most areas of Florida is that we will not see big increases. This is due to many factors but one major one is there is NO LIMIT on development, so therefore supply is almost limitless. Another factor is that the stock market is up only about 3-4% a year for the last two years so there is not "crazy money" that people are seeing in their accounts to purchase more expensive property with.

For all their faults, some of Real Estate sites are close to the mark. They predict stable prices for our area - generally from -1% to +2.5% per year.

Palmer Ranch is a great location, IMHO.....the bike path nearby is a big plus.

BTW, I happen to see stable prices as being a good thing. On one hand no one should buy property hoping to "make money" but on the other MANY more regular people can afford it.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Zero impact in Palmer Ranch, its too far from the coast. I lived there for part of the last bloom and rode my bike on the Legacy bike trail...zero impact. Palmer Ranch is a great location so long as you stay away from I-75. Try to stay West of Honore to minimize the traffic noise from the Intertate.

I loved living for 1.5 yrs in Palmer Ranch, but in the end, there were not enough new homes that fit our needs, and the prices were too high for our liking, so we wound up South of there. I miss the convenient location though. I love how all the street sides and boulevards are so nicely kept.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
BTW, in terms of proof, here is one NIH study - from WAY back and before we had that really bad one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2796838/

"The results of this study demonstrate that brevetoxins were transported up to 6.4 km inland from the coastal water source. These data also illustrate the variability from day to day based on cell count (density and/or patchiness of the bloom), wind speed, and wind direction."

"This is significant as Fleming et al (2005, 2007, 2009) have demonstrated that asthmatics have significantly increased symptoms and decreased lung function after only a 1 hour exposure to aerosolized brevetoxins. Furthermore, aerosolized Florida red tide toxins seem to have more chronic effects, including symptoms and pulmonary function changes in asthmatics for several days following the 1 hour beach exposure (and/or environmental exposure inland), and increased admissions to emergency rooms for respiratory diseases (including pneumonia, bronchitis, and asthma) during active Florida red tides"

Fairly clear - nothing much more anyone can add unless they are a scientist with monitoring equipment.

For some relativity, 6.4 km is the distance from the Bay to the interstate - approx...in many places.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:36 AM

6.4 km is just under 4 miles. I lived ~5 miles as the Crow flies to the coast, and never had any issues, even during strenuous cycling along the trail. I never smelled any foul smells, even shopping along 41 (Tamiami Trail) which was closer to the coast from where I lived.

If you have any breathing conditions, then I'd stay 4+ miles away from the beach.

There has not been any noticeable Red Tide this year at all. Trace amounts picked up by testing equipment...yes, but not noticeable to humans. Last year was an freak occurance, on of the most severe & longest lasting blooms in recorded history...not the norm.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,207 times
Great info. Thanks to all !

Old 09-15-2019, 09:14 AM

91 posts, read 76,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
BTW, in terms of proof, here is one NIH study - from WAY back and before we had that really bad one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2796838/....

Thanks for posting the link craigiri. I appreciate reading science-based studies, rather than personal anecdotes from other posters.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:11 PM

yeah, everyone knows that fake science is more accurate than firsthand observations.

I have not seen a scientific sudy yet that mentions Palmer Ranch by name.

Some just like to think the sky is falling when its just a darned Acorn.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 PM

41 posts, read 49,499 times
beachfor3ofus--Give me a break! A National Institutes of Health study--Fake science!!

Personal anecdotes are fine and helpful as a way of personalizing the impersonal, but as a sign I've seen several times in my non-FLA neighborhood states, "Science is real."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area