Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 15,453 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking for a home in SRQ. How did the builders differ as in quality of construction? Is there something to look out for at this time when looking at homes that were built in the 90ies? US Homes, BFM builders, Morrison, Ruthenberg etc.? Perhaps it doesn't matter because the house has been there for 20+ years? Palmer Ranch area is my focal point for now.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
whatever you do, you should lookfor homes built starting in the latter part of the 2000's. Building codes were enhanced substantially in 2004, I believe.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
whatever you do, you should lookfor homes built starting in the latter part of the 2000's. Building codes were enhanced substantially in 2004, I believe.
There have been building code upgrades for many years, but the last significant one was in 2003 I thought.

I agree...buy the newest home possible and save on insurance, maintenance, upgrades, refurb, and you'll be in a safer home too that uses less energy. You'll have more time to do the things you like.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
My understanding is that you can be sure that homes built in 2003 have the newer codes but the codes changed in 2002 (April maybe?) so only some will have the code change benefits.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:56 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
In 1974, Florida adopted a state minimum building code law requiring all local governments to adopt and enforce a building code that would ensure minimum standards for the public’s health and safety. But when Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida in 1992, it revealed the deficiencies of the state’s existing building code compliance and enforcement processes.

In 1995, FL officials decided to apply the high-wind standards of the Standard Building Code, which was widely used in the Southeast, to all of Florida, this is post Hurricane Andrew.

Then, in the late 1990s, three building codes being used as models nationally merged to form the International Building Code. Florida also developed its own building codes that became effective on March 1, 2002.

In 2004, the state adopted the International Building Code as a model, adding some Florida-specific aspects. New homes are built according to the code, and breaks on insurance rates became available for homeowners who retrofit their homes to comply with current standards (wind mit inspections).

The 2010 edition of the Florida Building Code introduced significant changes to wind load design.

So there are a number of significant dates when it comes to FL Building Codes.

The FL Building Code is updated every 3 years now. The 6th Edition of the Florida Building Code went into effect on December 31, 2017. So the next big update will be in 2020.

I found this report interesting, so I saved the info in my files (I am an information pack rat):

In 2005, University of Florida researchers studied the differences in damage between older and newer homes, comparing 200 randomly selected homes that were in the path of the highest wind zones generated by hurricanes.

The study concluded that homes built under the 2002 Florida Building Code sustained less damage on average than homes built between 1994 and 2001 under the Standard Building Code. Homes built before 1994 also fared worse than those built after that year.

But the 2004 storms did expose some problems. A failure seen among new homes was with the soffits, or vents located below roof overhangs to allow air to circulate through the attic. Wind sometimes damaged or blew out the soffits, allowing wind-driven rain to enter the attic, soaking insulation and damaging ceilings. Those issues were addressed in following Code updates.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
If I look for newer I am going to go out of Palmer Ranch I guess....into Lakewood Ranch. Deer Creek for example has only older ones I think, so does Turtle Rock.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Here's a heads up to anyone looking at 1990's built homes within Palmer Ranch. Pinhole Leaks.

Palmer Ranch seems to be ground zero for the problem of pinhole leaks in copper plumbing pipes. There's something about the soil there that corrodes copper pipes over time (at least that's the theory).

You'll notice real estate ads that state the home has been replumbed.... this is why.

Although I would also add that pinhole leaks are becoming less of a problem since the county starting adding an anti-corrosion chemical to the water supplies there in 2005.

Here's an article about it from the Sarasota Herald Tribune:
https://www.heraldtribune.com/articl.../605222123/SH/

On the sellers disclosure statement for these homes, be sure to pay careful attention to the part about plumbing and leaks, especially if they have had a previous pinhole leak that has been repaired.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area