Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsinfoMN View Post
Thanks. I will see if we can check out a couple of these during our scouting visit. Is the issue also perhaps that there is just not all that much diversity of immigrants from foreign countries to this area? After all that is what usually happens when immigrants decide to start their own small business, and it's frequently a restaurant.
There is no diversity in Sarasota. It is the whitest place I've ever been outside of Salt Lake City.

Gulf Gate is where you want to be for diverse dining. Excellent choices, all mom and pop places locally owned. No chains.

I've never had a bad meal anywhere in Gulf Gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 07:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
There is no diversity in Sarasota. It is the whitest place I've ever been outside of Salt Lake City.

Gulf Gate is where you want to be for diverse dining. Excellent choices, all mom and pop places locally owned. No chains.

I've never had a bad meal anywhere in Gulf Gate.
Not true. There is plenty of diversity when you get north of downtown. And even more in Bradenton. But I agree that south of downtown and all the way through Venice it is lily white. Same for areas like Lakewood Ranch.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not true. There is plenty of diversity when you get north of downtown. And even more in Bradenton. But I agree that south of downtown and all the way through Venice it is lily white. Same for areas like Lakewood Ranch.
I was referring to Sarasota proper which would not include Bradenton.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I was referring to Sarasota proper which would not include Bradenton.
Well it does include north Sarasota, which is where all the ethnic restaurants I suggested are.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsinfoMN View Post
We will be in the area scouting for a place to be snowbirds and also want to check out the availability of finding these types of favorites. These are the types of meals we prefer to get at home when we go out or for take-out. Can you tell me where (or if) there are ethnic restaurants in the greater Sarasota area? Names of your favorites would be appreciated. Are these kinds of restaurants available anywhere but in Sarasota proper?

Hole-in-the-wall, totally downscale with take-out as a choice is more our style than stylish and up-scale. We are looking at homes all the way from Bradenton near Anna Maria to the Venice area (primarily more west of the Trail).

Thanks for the tips.
You're on the Gulf coast of Florida, you're not going to have to worry about places being too stylish and upscale.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 1,687 times
We are also from MN and, although I would prefer to stay home in the northland, I go south because I love the ethnic food in SRQ (and my spouse, who doesn't want to stay north).

Some of my favorites are the family-run Ssam (Korean) on Tamiami north of downtown, Spice Station in the Rosemary district (trendy but still great), Isan Thai (near Phillippi Park), Brasa and Pisco (University) and Peruviuan Grill (Beneva and Clark). A great non-ethnic place to pick up a salad or sandwich to eat by the water or at Selby is Maximillian's (Gillespie Park. 10:30-3 M-F).

Check Yelp for more ideas.

Last edited by OrchidSlayer; 10-17-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2019, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 9,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think your view is more accurate 5+ years ago than today.....for many reasons. Firstly, we live in W. MA. which is not a metro area nearly the size and there are literally dozens of world-class eateries or outlets within 15 minutes (due to colleges and the type of population).

But you must keep in mind that vast numbers of short-stay tourists come through the SRQ area and, also, more active retirees that spend 3-6 months down here have lots of time on their hands to go out and eat. That differs greatly from a place where everyone is in an office building all day long....etc.

Try a cauliflower taco and some other stuff at that screaming goat place and I think you might agree that some Mexican taste good. I agree the El Toro stuff is greasy high calorie stuff.....

The pizza truck at the Wed. Farm market is definitely at least a 7 out of 10, probably higher for many folks (we live near Pizza heavens here in New Haven, etc.). I'm expecting some of those new places to be decent but we will see. We cannot be fooled. We simply refuse to eat regular pizza.

The Bagels at Lox and Eggs are not as good as the Best from NYC, but they are better than most any elsewhere.

Now..that's not gourmet food...of course. But, to us, it is......
"More accurate 5+ years ago than today"......?? naybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm a long time native. You live in "western MASSACHUSETTS?? okay, that explains why you know more about the area than I do. This place is not expected to be the home of a bunch of true "ethnic restaurants" that' s nutty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area