U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 13,051,607 times

Advertisements

Regional unemployment rate climbs to 5.9 percent in March
There are 60 percent more unemployed people than this time last year
STAFF REPORT
Published Friday, April 18, 2008 at 10:22 a.m.

Unemployment shot up in Southwest Florida during March, with Charlotte County close to breaching the 7 percent figure.

The 6.9 percent figure gave Charlotte County the third highest unemployment rate in Florida, behind only Hernando County at 7 percent and Flagler County at 7.8 percent. The Charlotte rate was up from 6.5 percent in February and 4 percent from a year ago, the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation reported on Friday.

Charlotte, Sarasota and Manatee had a combined unemployment rate of 5.9 percent last month. That compared with 5.5 percent in February and 3.5 percent a year ago.

There were 22,135 unemployed people in the region last month, a 60 percent increase from 13,891 in March 2007. The total employment in Southwest Florida has shrunk from 390,446 a year ago to 374,010, for a 4.21 percent decline.

Sarasota County, with a rate of 5.5 percent in March, had the 16th highest rate in the state. In February, the county’s unemployment was 5.2 percent and a year ago, it was 3.4 percent.

Manatee County had the 23rd highest unemployment rate of Florida’s 67 counties with 5.1 percent. That compared with 4.8 percent in February and 3.2 percent in March 2007.

All three counties had a higher rate than the overall 4.7 percent for Florida, and both Charlotte and Sarasota were higher than the national rate of 5.2 percent.
Still want to come to this area for work? Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM

960 posts, read 1,471,348 times
Wow...
Thanks for the link Ladywithafan.
I really didn't think the increase in unemployment would be that bad. I knew it was increasing, but I didn't know that our area is now above the national average.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM

51 posts, read 151,875 times
5.5% is not really all that bad. If you want to work retail or restaurant, go on down. You will always find a job in that area. If you want something else, forget it. No matter how hard the local governments try, they will not attract other jobs. Anything that caters to retired folks will boom too - finance, law, medicine, etc. FL hasn't changed.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:20 PM

According to today's Sarasota Herald Tribune article being a lawyer doesn't in this area isn't a good bet either.
HeraldTribune.com - Business - Business news stories about Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties in Florida. - HeraldTribune.com

"You are finding that there are a multitude of candidates for each position," said Lisa Pierce, director of operations at Ad-VANCE Personnel Services in Manatee County. "It is not uncommon for an entry-level clerical position to have 45 candidates."

One of the people she is helping to keep employed is Daniel Hoffman, an attorney with a background in employment law laid off by the city of Venice about a year ago.

Hoffman has not been able to match his skills to a job since then.

For the last few weeks, he has been helping out at Big Summer Gold Card, a golf marketing company with offices off Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota.

"I am answering the phones, inputting customer orders and stuffing envelopes," he said.

"Too many attorneys," said Hoffman, sitting in his cubicle, looking ready for any corporation in his blue blazer with gray slacks. "This town is just crawling with them."

He has a couple of lawyer-type interviews cooking, one with a county elsewhere in Florida and another in Seattle. Meanwhile, "I am doing this to pay the bills."

Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,369,359 times
I imagine they get their numbers from people who apply for unemployment assistance. I am one of the many uncounted unemployed people in this area.

I have had 4 agencies trying to find work for me for over a year. I am an accounting clerk with many years of experience. There have been 50+ qualified candidates for every position I have interviewed for lately.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,143,088 times
Funny but we have a going business here that generates 6 figures in income. My Wife started an online business just 10 months ago that's already throwing off decent profits.

Our handiman charges 20 bucks an hour and can do it all. He's always busy while the others who try to rip us all off for more are whining and crying that's there's no work. 20 bucks an hour at 50 hrs a week is 50K a year for a semi retired fellow who can wear short pants most of the year?

Our lawn guy just bought a Philly Steak House in Tamiami Trail for 6 figures and his lawn business is for sale. Has 120 accounts and he charges MORE ( $100.00/month for a small lot ) than most but also does a better job than most and always shows up on time. Do the math.

An old friend of mine is a waitress at Ruth's Chris Steak house. Made enough to buy a condo for $175K AND with 25% down, has a good retirement acount after working there and saving quite a bit over the past 12 years or so, drives a 2 year old car, and lives a LOT better than if she were back in Mass.

We TRIED to hire local people to do web work on a part time basis. What people asked for per hour was laughable. We hired someone out of the area and will be making a bid to buy their business in the weeks ahead. Now a few of the people who insulted us by telling us "what they get" have called us back, telling us how slow it is. Right, sure. Too late.

There's always opportunities to be had. Depends on what you are willing to do.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,810,378 times
Good examples, Mr. Tudo. Even in a truly depressed economy (unemployment 10%+), attitude and responsibly handling what you have is key. If people learned how to be productive instead of playing union boy and dragging it down for everyone else, EVERYONE could benefit. Yes, the economy is getting tight right now and salaries in a lot of corporate positions could be better, but there is always opportunity.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 AM

Racelady88 touched on not being counted as unemployed, since she doesn't collect any unemployment benefits.
Which leads me to wonder, how many other people in our are are not counted as unemployed?
Does anyone have any information on that number? Or would venture to guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area