Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 02:21 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

I think by the time most people write their 1st post here asking for guidance, they've already been here at least once. They've done some type of research, but now their circumstances are becoming more concrete, so they are preparing for the next step.

I think in general, we need to give them a bit more credit.

I'm assuming that most of them already know that LOTS of Northerners are moving here, taxes are lower than most other places, our job market for $50k+ earners is weak, Summers are much hotter than anything they've lived in before, overall, Florida schools are weaker than most other States, its mostly 50+ers moving here to wind down their careers if not totally retiring altogether.

I've got to think this much they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 07:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,121 times
Well said, shouldn't need to be said, but maybe a good idea just in case.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think by the time most people write their 1st post here asking for guidance, they've already been here at least once. They've done some type of research, but now their circumstances are becoming more concrete, so they are preparing for the next step.

I think in general, we need to give them a bit more credit.

I'm assuming that most of them already know that LOTS of Northerners are moving here, taxes are lower than most other places, our job market for $50k+ earners is weak, Summers are much hotter than anything they've lived in before, overall, Florida schools are weaker than most other States, its mostly 50+ers moving here to wind down their careers if not totally retiring altogether.

I've got to think this much they know.
I'll borrow the thread from OP, yet keep it on topic, I hope:

I've never set foot in the place, thus have no questions. But it's the quoted person's home. I figure a couple weekends in two distinct seasons might give the tiniest inkling of a foundation for intelligent questions. Conversely: if one were to, say, arrive to Eastside Seattle (perhaps Bellevue) and stay at the Bravern over Christmas, then maybe once more over the fourth of July, they'd have a tolerable idea what's what. The rest is facts: (this, or that) is lower/higher, based on limitless data out there. There are few shortcuts to digesting that. I personally will research the financials thoroughly, nothing matters more to me.

I'd not march into the place looking for pre-retirement, $200K + /year earnings, that are usually only found in major hubs of modern business: Seattle, Los Angeles, all of Silicon Valley, Research Triangle, NY NY, Boston, probably a few others. My father drove a limo from retirement as a Sr. manager for almost two decades, that was his thing to augment SS.

Funny thing is, I'm a Northerner by dint of geography and probably have NO idea what summer heat is really like. We just think we do. Jersey, Seattle, both up north for sure. Seattle even further, actually. The sun is very seldom fierce here, as in maybe couple days/year. Not months. Nor would our half the year cool/cold and drizzle w/heavy clouds impress most from FL. Hmm. Lot of research needed, on-the-ground.

I personally would like to be around retirees...that's a Rubicon that must be crossed from younger days of helling. Hence the phrase, "retirement." Thanks, all.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
OP, out of all the areas you mentioned, by a wide margin I'd go with Sarasota.

Very kid oriented and friendly. Lots of fantastic schools.

I'd skip Naples for sure.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
First of all, this is Linny Dee the original poster. We have known for years that my husband was going to retire at age 50 & we would move to Florida. Close to a beach. We have done extensive research over the years to pinpoint where we want to be in accordance with places we have visited. We like venice and naples but do not know how it would be for a 10 year old to live there. Someone had mentioned that we can get alot for our money in Cape Coral. Since we have never been there, i was just wondering what the majority of people though about it as i have heard that there are areas there to “stay away” from. No need for idiotic comments or assuming things you have no idea about. Thank you for the wonderful people that actually gave me some good insight. Your help was very appreciated.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:28 AM

We may have similar perspectives because I'm semi-retired in my 50's...I only work when I feel like it...my wife hasn't worked in 18 years, and we too are parents. We moved down here ~2 years ago and rented for a year in Southern Sarasota County (Palmer Ranch) before buying a few miles further South. The further South you go in Sarasota County, the less costly the land/homes are.

Between Venice and Naples (we looked at both too), I'd suggest Venice, due to value. The home we bought in Southern Sarasota County last year (with a Venice mailing address) that cost $550k in "Venice", would have cost $700k in Naples.

We were paying cash, and we couldn't peel off another $150k for Naples even though our property taxes would have cost ~$1,000/yr less (even on the higher valuation). With a 150 year break even point, we chose Venice. We are 15-20 minutes from the Venice Pier which is the beach we go to the most. We drive up to Siesta Key (30 minutes) off-season when its easy to find a parking spot, and we drive down to Boca Grande (45 minutes) for a day at the beach (and lunch on the beach at a fab restaurant there) too for a change of scenery. We plan to go to Sanibel/Captiva (1 hour) soon too before too many more snowbirds return.

The price per square foot is higher in Naples, and its older than Southern Sarasota County. The traffic is worse too. When you are in your 50's, Naples is too old. Seems like nearly everyone there is 70+. They are more like my Dads age.

The youngest place in SW Florida is the Tampa suburbs, but we always lived in large metro areas with lots of traffic, and have had enough of that, so we took a pass on Tampa. We do long weekends up there a few times a year though to go to ballgames, car shows, fancy resorts, shopping, ect..

Another younger place is Lakewood Ranch (just East of Bradenton), but that's a crappy 45 minute drive to the beach, and our Son is off to College now, so we nixed Lakewood Ranch.

Look in Stoneybrook, & Grand Palm in Southern Sarasota County. They are not in the West Villages so are not subject to a special taxing district, but they may have cdd's, so ask about that. I see a lot of kids out that way, which may be due to the adjacent school. There's a nice YMCA nearby I see a lot of kids at too. There's a park with ball fields off Pinebrook, and another off East Venice Ave near 41, and both are full of kids playing various sports on the weekends.

Venice is old too, but there are small pockets where younger people are mixed in. Same with Nokomis/Osprey around that gifted school called Pine View. The city limits of Venice is where its oldest. I'd avoid the City of Venice, and look just to the East and North of the Venice city limits. If you stay <$400k, you'll likely be near younger families, because most cannot yet afford $400k+. Sorry to profile, but it happens to be mostly true.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2019, 07:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
If you're really concerned about your 10 year old kid having friends if you pick Venice, just look in Stoneybrook. It's a family/kid magnet. I've been here 6 years and noticed when a retired couple moves out, more than half the time a family moves in. Halloween is tomorrow night and I've got over 400 pieces of candy. First two years I ran out before trick or treat was over (6-8pm). We have over 200 kids in this community and the HOA is always doing kid events. We have 2 social committees, one for kid events another for adult events. Kid events include, back to school bash with 15 ft slide, rock wall, dunk tank, and 10 ft slide into deep end of pool. We just had pumpkin decorating last weekend. For Christmas they have Breakfast with Santa. Amenities include: pool, hot tub, gym, tennis courts, pickleball courts, full court basketball court, volleyball court, baseball field, skating rink, shuffleboard, horse shoes, soccer field, general purpose grass area, picnic benches, 2 playgrounds, indoor theater, library, large function room, and full time staff. HOA dues are $469/qtr.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
beachfor3ofus - great assessment of the area and - yes - I assume they know that there are less kids down here in Florida - public schools are sub par - and salaries are low - and all the insurance you have to pay on your home - or should even if you are not required to - and it is not exactly a cultural mecca -

I am sorry but $469 a quarter is crazy - there are so many better things to do with your money - and all those amenities you can find in your community - pick and choose what you want to pay for.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
beachfor3ofus - great assessment of the area and - yes - I assume they know that there are less kids down here in Florida - public schools are sub par - and salaries are low - and all the insurance you have to pay on your home - or should even if you are not required to - and it is not exactly a cultural mecca -

I am sorry but $469 a quarter is crazy - there are so many better things to do with your money - and all those amenities you can find in your community - pick and choose what you want to pay for.
If they move adjacent to a great park (or YMCA), they'd have access to amenities and not have the $469/quarter. The annual YMCA family membership would cost much less than the HOA. There's an amazing YMCA right across the street from an elementary school on Center Road in New Venice. The Middle school's not far away from there either. The Venice High School's very good too the students tell me.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Venice would fit what you want. Look for communities that have playgrounds, not pickelball and bocce ball. Communities with children in Venice: Stoneybrook, Grand Palm, Gran Paradiso. There are new communities in West Villages which is North Port with a Venice mailing address. Renaissance has a playground, but I'm not sure of how many kids.

There is a new community starting called Cielo that looks geared toward kids. There's a playground and picnic areas listed on the web, but no pool.

We're from NJ too, the Morristown area.
I was going to suggest Grand Palm. I know many from Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts etc that live in that community. It’s beautiful but for a moderate pool home you will spend over 400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area