Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

My family of 5 from Michigan is considering moving to North Port Florida. We are both in our mid 30s and have 3 young children. We visit Fort Myers annually and love the sunshine, beaches, fishing and outdoor life.
From what I have researched the affordability, proximity to beach, fish, and outdoors are all excellent....plus the fact that is an up and coming area(currently we live in a town the size of North Port which we like) My concern is the job market (currently an automotive industry senior business development manager with an engineering degree; my wife is an RN) and the family environment. Can anyone give some advice on this? We are set on selling our house and relocating outside of cold and overcast Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 11:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I am sure an RN can easily find a position in this area but maybe not make as much as she did in Michigan. For your career you might need to live near Tampa or Ft. Myers.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:10 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Since jobs are a priority for your family, I would start by researching what is available in the way of work AND take careful note of the pay, as jobs in FL tend to pay less (sometimes a lot less) than similar positions up north. It's because so many people want to move to FL for the sunshine that employers can get by with paying less. Most of the better paying jobs in the North Port area are going to be offered by the city, the local hospitals and the school system. Engineering jobs are not going to be in high demand, better options for those would be the Tampa Bay area or Orlando. Many people who live in North Port commute to Sarasota for work, so I would look at job postings there to see what's available.

Finding jobs here from "up north" can be an issue because many local employers don't want to consider people for jobs that have not already relocated here. The exception being very specialized jobs. If you are going to move first, then find employment, most experts suggest having at least 6 months worth of living expenses saved up first. There are lots of jobs here, just not always the well paying (with benefits) types of jobs people coming here from out of state assume they will find.

Please understand that I am not saying these things to discourage you from relocating to our area, I am only explaining what you may encounter when you do move.

My other suggestion is to visit Florida in July or August, if you haven't already done so. Yes our winters are mild and the sunshine beautiful, but summers are hot and extremely humid, with almost daily afternoon thunderstorms. Our active outdoor months are October thru May, sometimes into June. Some people adapt to the high summer heat indexes, others never do. So visit in the summer so you'll know what you will be dealing with 4 or more months of the year.

Last but not least is regarding North Port. Have you ever been to NP? I'm asking because North Port is unique from what most people would consider a city to look like. The actual city limits of North Port cover over 100 square miles of land, but a large portion of it is not developed.

A little bit of history: North Port was originally laid out in the 1950's by a company called General Development Corporation. They laid out grids of roads within the huge land area of their city of North Port, then started selling lots to winter visitors. Things didn't go as planned and the company eventually abandoned North Port. So outside of the more established subdivisions you will find miles and miles of roads with few homes and many vacant lots.

More of the development is between Biscayne Blvd and Toledo Blade Blvd, where there is more access to utilities (much of North Port is on septic systems and well water). The north end of North Port is experiencing a huge building boom thanks to the West Villages development. The majority of the West Villages is located along US 41 and River Road at the edges of unincorporated Sarasota County and the city limits of North Port.

North Port is unique in that it actually has an entire state forest located within the city limits. North Port does not have a downtown area like those in Venice or Sarasota, most of the shopping areas are smaller retail centers or strip retail shopping centers, although more and more retail is being added as new construction subdivisions are being built.

I always suggest that buyers do as much research as you can on any community you are thinking of purchasing a home in. If the positives out weigh the negatives for your individual needs, then that community may be a good option for you.

It's definitely a good idea to visit the area, several times if possible, before you reach a final decision about specific locations. And if possible, rent for awhile before buying, so that you do not commit to a home purchase that looks good on paper but turns out to be a wrong move in the long run. Good luck with your relocation, having come from the Midwest myself decades ago, I do understand about the gray and depressing winters there.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:38 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I am sure an RN can easily find a position in this area but maybe not make as much as she did in Michigan. For your career you might need to live near Tampa or Ft. Myers.
I agree, RN's can find a jobs anywhere and quickly, but your husband will need to shift from Auto industry to another industry. Business Development Manager jobs like his are found in Orlando, Tampa, SE Florida (I dont recommend moving there though), and Jacksonville.

I also agree that your RN pay will be less here, but I dont know how much less. Florida has no state income tax and Michigan has 4.25%, so even if you make ~5% less here in Florida, the sales tax saving would offset the wage reduction.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Since jobs are a priority for your family, I would start by researching what is available in the way of work AND take careful note of the pay, as jobs in FL tend to pay less (sometimes a lot less) than similar positions up north. It's because so many people want to move to FL for the sunshine that employers can get by with paying less. Most of the better paying jobs in the North Port area are going to be offered by the city, the local hospitals and the school system. Engineering jobs are not going to be in high demand, better options for those would be the Tampa Bay area or Orlando. Many people who live in North Port commute to Sarasota for work, so I would look at job postings there to see what's available.

Finding jobs here from "up north" can be an issue because many local employers don't want to consider people for jobs that have not already relocated here. The exception being very specialized jobs. If you are going to move first, then find employment, most experts suggest having at least 6 months worth of living expenses saved up first. There are lots of jobs here, just not always the well paying (with benefits) types of jobs people coming here from out of state assume they will find.

Please understand that I am not saying these things to discourage you from relocating to our area, I am only explaining what you may encounter when you do move.

My other suggestion is to visit Florida in July or August, if you haven't already done so. Yes our winters are mild and the sunshine beautiful, but summers are hot and extremely humid, with almost daily afternoon thunderstorms. Our active outdoor months are October thru May, sometimes into June. Some people adapt to the high summer heat indexes, others never do. So visit in the summer so you'll know what you will be dealing with 4 or more months of the year.

Last but not least is regarding North Port. Have you ever been to NP? I'm asking because North Port is unique from what most people would consider a city to look like. The actual city limits of North Port cover over 100 square miles of land, but a large portion of it is not developed.

A little bit of history: North Port was originally laid out in the 1950's by a company called General Development Corporation. They laid out grids of roads within the huge land area of their city of North Port, then started selling lots to winter visitors. Things didn't go as planned and the company eventually abandoned North Port. So outside of the more established subdivisions you will find miles and miles of roads with few homes and many vacant lots.

More of the development is between Biscayne Blvd and Toledo Blade Blvd, where there is more access to utilities (much of North Port is on septic systems and well water). The north end of North Port is experiencing a huge building boom thanks to the West Villages development. The majority of the West Villages is located along US 41 and River Road at the edges of unincorporated Sarasota County and the city limits of North Port.

North Port is unique in that it actually has an entire state forest located within the city limits. North Port does not have a downtown area like those in Venice or Sarasota, most of the shopping areas are smaller retail centers or strip retail shopping centers, although more and more retail is being added as new construction subdivisions are being built.

I always suggest that buyers do as much research as you can on any community you are thinking of purchasing a home in. If the positives out weigh the negatives for your individual needs, then that community may be a good option for you.

It's definitely a good idea to visit the area, several times if possible, before you reach a final decision about specific locations. And if possible, rent for awhile before buying, so that you do not commit to a home purchase that looks good on paper but turns out to be a wrong move in the long run. Good luck with your relocation, having come from the Midwest myself decades ago, I do understand about the gray and depressing winters there.
Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful!
We are prepping for the pay cut and do have 6 months saved up just in case.
My family had homes in Tampa and Pine Island Florida that we spent time in each year during summer months so the heat will be ok for us.

I'm curious if North Port has been impacted by any storm surges or hurricane activity? Do people have certain home features to protect and are there special insurances/costs to be concerned with?

Does North Port feel safe?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree, RN's can find a jobs anywhere and quickly, but your husband will need to shift from Auto industry to another industry. Business Development Manager jobs like his are found in Orlando, Tampa, SE Florida (I dont recommend moving there though), and Jacksonville.

I also agree that your RN pay will be less here, but I dont know how much less. Florida has no state income tax and Michigan has 4.25%, so even if you make ~5% less here in Florida, the sales tax saving would offset the wage reduction.
I'm ok with the pay difference and industry change. What industries thrive in the greater Sarasota and Fort Myers area? I think I could transfer the skill set.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:01 AM

333 posts, read 240,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineertoflorida View Post
I'm ok with the pay difference and industry change. What industries thrive in the greater Sarasota and Fort Myers area? I think I could transfer the skill set.
Bear in mind that housing is also typically more expensive in Florida than in Michigan. That being said, you are maybe already prepared for this possibility and it sounds like you are in a good place financially.

North Port is a little remote, especially for jobs, and if you get jobs near Sarasota, the commute could potentially be 40+ minutes. Housing and overall cost of living is higher in Sarasota, but job prospects would be better.

I'd second the idea of looking into the Tampa/St Pete metro area as well. Or somewhere in the middle of the two like Parrish. Just to put your best food forward in a bigger job market.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:31 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineertoflorida View Post
Sarasota is home to Tervis Tumblers and PGT residential doors and windows. Tourism would be the largest industry. Real estate is big. Neal Communities is based in Lakewood Ranch (Manatee County just North of Sarasota) and they are one of the leading home builders in SW Florida. Bealls Department stores are HQ's in Bradenton. Global Organics is a large organic food grower/distributor based in Sarasota. Freedom Boat Club who was just purchased by Brunswick is based in Venice. Healthcare is big, but that is hospitals and doctors offices and related service based healthcare providers like imagery and labs. After that mostly smaller retail and service company's. One of the largest of those is Absolute Aluminum that does lanai's and pool enclosures. They probably have 200 employees. CoolToday is similar in size, and they provide HVAC, & plumbing services.

I cant speak to Fort Myers. I dont know what potential employers are there.

Some of the highest earners here are small business owners. The lanai/Pool enclosure providers are months out on their work flow. There's more demand than supply in that niche business. If I had to start all over again, I'd likely pursue that.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
I read an article recently about Florida taking the lead in autonomous vehicle testing. This might be an area you want to explore for job opportunities given your work experience, but the work is going to be in the major cities. You are really going to be struggling in North Port I think because it's kind of out of the way of major business centers. Most of the jobs there would be low paid service stuff although the trades will be doing well with construction with all the new development. The area is booming so anybody that knows a trade will have plenty of work. You may want to think along those lines are start up a small business doing a trade given your background. As someone else said, small business owners that have a niche can do incredibly well.

https://www.governing.com/news/headl...mentation.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-to-start.html

Old 01-02-2020, 02:10 PM

390 posts, read 397,385 times
I 100% agree with everything Sunshine said. I'm originally from the Midwest as well so I get it. But after being here for several years, I would never recommend anyone just uproot their whole family and leave behind their livelihood without having a solid job opportunity lined up first (or bringing a job with you if you can work remote.)

Someone here on C-D actually made a video about this years ago (see below). Those of us that are here in FL already get a good laugh out of it because we see it all the time. There are thousands of "I want to move to FL, I'll find a job quickly or I'll be fine on my savings" stories. Some people make it, other people don't. You also have to keep in mind that you're not only competing with people looking to move here from out of state, but you're also competing with all the people already here. We are not really swimming in abundant, high-paying job opportunities here. Great for retirees who don't need to work, not so great for your average person who still needs to work to support a family and pay the bills.

That being said, North Port is a pretty decent area from what I've seen. Very up and coming with a lot of new retail going in on 41 as others have mentioned. Close to Boca Grande and Venice beaches, convenient to larger city of Port Charlotte which has a lot more shopping and dining options and an actual mall and close to I-75 for access to Tampa area.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paR...e_continue=121
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area