Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 08:20 AM

82 posts, read 49,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
OP..plz keep us posted. There are so many older homes around here, and so many in great locations, that I think a lot of potential buyers can learn from your entire experience, all the way through the end.

I will. I enjoy threads of people making there way through such a large move. Updates will be coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns55 View Post
Hi Lisa and thanks for your input. I do have a real estate agent. The reason for the thread is to get some different opinions on older homes. I have a lot of experience with remodeling as I've done a few of our homes. Florida is a different animal for me, all of my homes have been in the North East. Just looking for different opinions on positives and negatives of buying and possibly updating and older home in the hot climate of Florida. The newer 2010 and later homes are better built, but my wife and I do not like the developments that most of them are in. Homes are way too close together, fees are usually higher than I would like, and they have many amenities that my wife and I will probably not use. Thanks again.
Just for some relativity on winds, my understanding is that our area (most of it, anyway) from Sarasota to Tampa has never experienced winds in excess of 80 MPH in recorded weather history. It certainly has not experienced this since any major development started.

Our house was built in 1953 and has never been damaged in any way by winds.

Some of this is common sense. If one lives in an open flood zone where the winds can blow without being impeded, they are obviously subject to more problems.

As mentioned, insurance is higher on older home.....and a LOT more than 20% higher. More like 100% higher....but if one is confident of the construction, etc. they can choose a high deductible for hurricane damage. There are even some people who "self-insure" - choosing to own their properties cash and take their chances.

As far as "better built" - I have been a contractor since the 1970's. Many of the newer houses (and some older) are built exactly as you would build a house in North Carolina or Pennsylvania or anywhere else.....that is, they have very few features (other than tie-downs) that make them proper for the Tropics. The truth is that you will only know about these "latest and greatest" houses after they are a couple decades old.

Personally if I didn't find this older house at a good price I'd have probably built new or totally taken a house down to the studs and rebuilt. Then I would have chosen materials that can actually survive the tropics without mold, bugs, leaks, etc.

As a default - this being Florida - we have to assume most developers are here today and gone tomorrow, leaving the HOAs or homeowners or others to deal with any deficiencies later on.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:00 AM

It looks like it's time to bring this thread back up from the dead. I have purchased the house in question. I hope it was the right decision. My wife and I love the location and the bones of the house. I have started a total renovation of the house. All interior surfaces will be touched. It needs no work on the exterior. I figure I'll use this thread to update everyone on the problems associated with this kind of renovation.

The house is in an X flood zone and faces south/west. Let's see if I've bitten off more than I can chew

Old 04-16-2022, 05:31 PM

Ok, almost 2 years later, I never updated the thread It took me 1 year and 10 months to complete the renovation. The house is done and the most important thing is, my wife is happy. No walls had to be taken down or moved, but, was it a lot of work. I feel if you have the money or can do it yourself, renovating an older home is a good way to go. Lot size, layout, and maturity of the neighborhood can be positives. There are definitely negatives, but I'll leave that for another time. I'm basking in the love we have for the house and area. Thanks to everyone for your comments and guidance.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:33 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Thx for the update johns55.

Most people lack the experience to update/renovate a home...like me.

I could do the demo part of it, but then, I'd be useless.

I'd have to hire it all out, and in thislabor shortage, that is too scary for me.

I do love the older larger lots w/ mature trees in a HOA 'hood...impossible to find now, even in the Exec home segment.

I wanted to buy in Deer Creek (next to Costco) & do a renovation, but my wife thought new build would open up more doors for meeting new friends, and she was right about that.

I'm glad you are both happy...and you saved a ton of cash too.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:53 AM

You are right about the cost. If you can't do it yourself, it'll get pretty expensive fast. The only other thing is, we have so many friends in the neighborhood that it's crazy. My wife walks every morning with some people from the neighborhood down the street from us. We go to their weekly get together outside. Our street has a monthly get together outside that we go to. We actually have to cut back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area