Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:06 AM

25,348 posts, read 12,476,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Robin View Post
I guess I’m out of the loop regarding info on the mall. I’ll check my online resources.
When we lived in Palmer Ranch, we'd get a local Palmer Ranch newsletter, and sometimes it would include information about the Mall.

I think Costco owns their building, and Sears owns their's then there's a 3rd owner who owns the rest of it.

Costco's doing well there, so they are likley okay with the status quo. Sears is hurting, so they likely just want to cash out on their portion of it. Who knows what Westfield wants, Mall's are dying. A mixed use plan like the Avalon one in the ATL 'burbs would make sense...

https://www.experienceavalon.com

There's also a similar mixed use development called the Mercado in Naples. That strted out hot, but lately, I've noticed empty spaces cropping up. I think they went too heavily into retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 07:25 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,454,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoPepe View Post
My wife and I are planning on relocating to the Sarasota area in the near future. We are looking for a home with no outside maintenance. We would like shopping (like Publix, Target, restaurants, etc.) to be within walking distance (within a mile or two). We would like to stay under $400k. We like the UTC area but are wondering if there are other areas to consider. Thanks.
Hi, I was wondering......when you say no outside maintenance, are you referring to lawn maintenance or actually no exterior building maintenance as well?

I'm asking because most of the newer communities that advertise as "no maintenance" are referring to lawn maintenance. They are still single family homes so the owners are responsible for all exterior maintenance of their individual homes.

If you are searching for no exterior maintenance period, then what you need to look for are villas, which would be attached on one or both sides to other units and exterior maintenance is covered by the condo association thru monthly fees. (One note here: sometimes the ROOFS are not covered by the condo association, so be sure to ask.) There are a few rare instances where the "villas" are free standing, meaning not attached to anyone else's unit (as in a single family home) but still considered condos in that building exterior maintenance is handled by the condo association.

Please let us know which type of "no maintenance" you are searching for as it does make a huge difference in communities to suggest.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:50 PM

133 posts, read 147,831 times
I'm loving this thread. Great replies all around!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,470,632 times
UTC is not a walkable area - it is a congested mess with multi lanes of highway - I never see anyone walking around there.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 AM

25,348 posts, read 12,476,782 times
Downtown Venice is walkable and they have a Publix I see many people walking, and biking to. There's no big box stores like Target or WalMart in walking distance though. Just the Publix and smaller retailers and restaurants. Brand new Library too.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 PM

282 posts, read 245,240 times
Palma Sola Trace in West Bradenton (on 75th Street) off Cortez Rd, is in walkable distance to the Paradise Bay Shopping Center. In fact there is a back gated entrance/exit that enables residents to easily walk to shopping center, and many residents do so.
Not sure what type of stores you are interested in but the Paradise Bay shopping center consists of a Winn Dixie, hair and nail Salon, UPS store, drycleaner. There is a Bone Fish grill, a Marshalls, Home Goods, First Watch and Chicken Salad Chic, and the opposite end has a Fratellos. There is a liquor store, jewelry store, and a medical supply as well. I'm sure there are a few other items I'm forgetting. We find this location in close proximity to Anna maria (3 to 4 miles) and close to the many of the nature preserves (Robinson, Neal and Perico) which is at the North end of 75th Street, which is Manatee Ave, where of course there is plenty of shopping. Oh, duh! Coldstone and Starbucks!
There are many housing developments along 75th Street you might consider.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 PM

60 posts, read 62,202 times
I think it depends a bit on what you think is walkable. If I can't have a pleasant walk, on sidewalks, to a destination 5 minutes away, it's not walkable (my lazy guy definition). I've lived in a bunch of places in NJ/NY/Japan and the only two I've ever found really walkable are Tokyo and Manahattan.

Having said that, we have a place at Castel del Mare. It is walkable to Siesta Key (15 to 20 minutes) and there are a couple of bar & grille places I like, such as Clayton's (there are closer places too). Going towards S. Tamiami Trail, there is Publix and a bunch of other places, but that would take a good 20 minutes and you'd have to cross the intersection. I call the area "bikable". Btw, it's also a short drive to the mall (although I doubt the mall will survive in its current form).

Last edited by Yukenbo; 01-23-2020 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 AM

13 posts, read 12,573 times
FYI: The entire state of Florida is not walkable. This includes places like downtown Sarasota which receive a score of 90+ out of 100 on the WalkScore scale. Why?

1. Florida is statistically the most dangerous state in the nation for pedestrians and cyclists alike. But you don't need statistics to figure this out. Just step outside your door and see for yourself.

2. Crossing over multiple lanes of traffic and ultra wide intersections, which are everywhere in Florida, is not "walkable." It's an exercise in insanity.

3. The humidity makes walking a health hazard for at least half the year.

4. Very few people walk in most areas of Florida, including Lakewood Ranch, which has ample sidewalks. So, you will appear strange to many drivers and, if you're a reasonably attractive woman, you will get catcalled nonstop by fools in F150s.

5. Strip malls and more strip malls. I had to laugh when they built The Green at Lakewood Ranch (that Earth Fare anchored until recently) and the developers tried to market the place as a "walkable community." Um, if you enjoying zigzagging through a crowded parking lot from one cookie cutter fast food restaurant to the next, then sure, have at it.

I have lived and traveled to 19 states besides Florida and can honestly say that each one was more walkable. This includes southern states such as South Carolina, along with the more obvious northern states of New York and Massachusetts.

Bottom line: if you're looking for a truly walkable community in Florida, you're going to be disappointed.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoPepe View Post
My wife and I are planning on relocating to the Sarasota area in the near future. We are looking for a home with no outside maintenance. We would like shopping (like Publix, Target, restaurants, etc.) to be within walking distance (within a mile or two). We would like to stay under $400k. We like the UTC area but are wondering if there are other areas to consider. Thanks.
Anywhere South of Fruitville - as far west as Pinecraft. Alta Vista down to Gulf gate.

UTC? That's "car culture" up there. It is simply not designed for predestrians (10 lane roads to cross, etc.).
It's the complete opposite of walkable - it's more like the Orlando area where you take your life in your hands if you dare try to cross the streets.

Some places back up to Benderson Park but that's a place to walk for exercise - not for shopping or stuff like that.

Check the map in the areas I mentioned.

As the poster above said, Florida is not into pedestrians (high death rates, 10 lane roads, car culture, etc. etc.) in general. But the areas mentioned can do the trick....I can walk to most anything from the area around Payne Park.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:02 PM

7,010 posts, read 4,444,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRLadyLeaving View Post
FYI: The entire state of Florida is not walkable. This includes places like downtown Sarasota which receive a score of 90+ out of 100 on the WalkScore scale. Why?

1. Florida is statistically the most dangerous state in the nation for pedestrians and cyclists alike. But you don't need statistics to figure this out. Just step outside your door and see for yourself.

2. Crossing over multiple lanes of traffic and ultra wide intersections, which are everywhere in Florida, is not "walkable." It's an exercise in insanity.

3. The humidity makes walking a health hazard for at least half the year.

4. Very few people walk in most areas of Florida, including Lakewood Ranch, which has ample sidewalks. So, you will appear strange to many drivers and, if you're a reasonably attractive woman, you will get catcalled nonstop by fools in F150s.

5. Strip malls and more strip malls. I had to laugh when they built The Green at Lakewood Ranch (that Earth Fare anchored until recently) and the developers tried to market the place as a "walkable community." Um, if you enjoying zigzagging through a crowded parking lot from one cookie cutter fast food restaurant to the next, then sure, have at it.

I have lived and traveled to 19 states besides Florida and can honestly say that each one was more walkable. This includes southern states such as South Carolina, along with the more obvious northern states of New York and Massachusetts.

Bottom line: if you're looking for a truly walkable community in Florida, you're going to be disappointed.
Bingo! Sarasota might just be the most dangerous place in the USA for pedestrians. The statistics don't lie. Be very careful walking and riding a bicycle around here! If there's no sidewalk I don't suggest walking along Tamiami Trail. And if you have a death wish just buy a motorcycle and drive it a lot around here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area