Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_mana View Post
discounters aren't supermarkets ! different standards of buying, different qualities also
Like Detweilers is a bulk wholesale buyer of junk produce all from south America and Mexico -- stuff that the buyers at Publix, Wegmans, Kroger, even Walmart won't touch/order to be brought into their stores - but shoppers don't know this - and the meat is NOT first run USDA Choice - most is garbage "Select"
if shoppers can't see that Detweilers produce is 2nd rate, they need to go to their eye Doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 08:24 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
if shoppers can't see that Detweilers produce is 2nd rate, they need to go to their eye Doctor.
I used to shop once in awhile at the University store, and it is NOT second rate - some here have a vendetta against it just like some do for Publix. I never bought ANYTHING bad there, and they always had as much local produce as possible. Sorry, but Detwiler's blows the doors off ALDI when it comes to produce, baked goods, meat and fish. Now "boxed" items is another story, that stuff is waaaay overpriced there. Obviously, like Publix, that store is doing EXTREMELY WELL, and I'm guessing that bothers some people.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 AM

Last time I went to Detweilters, I had to rummage through 20+ tomatoes to find one that wasnt badly bruised or had a puncture hole through its skin. I bought Cantaloupe cut up then packaged in the plastic tub...1 pound. Tasteless. They were out of the smoked salmon..again!

Agree with seafood overall good. I dont eat meat, or baked goods, but the baked goods looked good. Sometimes you can get 2 lobster rolls for $20...great deal!

Old 02-01-2020, 10:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Ugh, absolutely horrible news.

Nothing like having fewer choices for grocery shopping.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I used to shop once in awhile at the University store, and it is NOT second rate - some here have a vendetta against it just like some do for Publix. I never bought ANYTHING bad there, and they always had as much local produce as possible. Sorry, but Detwiler's blows the doors off ALDI when it comes to produce, baked goods, meat and fish. Now "boxed" items is another story, that stuff is waaaay overpriced there. Obviously, like Publix, that store is doing EXTREMELY WELL, and I'm guessing that bothers some people.
I've had issues with produce in that it looks fine when bought but if not used within 1 or 2 days, it goes bad. This happened more than once. I know people who go there for the seafood, though, because the prices are good, so I do understand the appeal. Some of their baked goods are good, some not so much.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_mana View Post
the aldi near me is a relative dump - seen better at DG food stores
Every Aldi I've been to is dingy/dirty/messy (including 1 in Boca Raton). And the only employees are the cashiers.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So it works for you, that's great. I buy none of those items so no appeal for me. ALDI definitely fills a niche. Again, if it were closer I would probably shop there once in a while, but since it isn't, it's a moot point.
Packaged, processed middle aisles stuff. Not for those who want fresh, perimeter store items.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Packaged, processed middle aisles stuff. Not for those who want fresh, perimeter store items.
I buy both. Tea and Apple juice, bottled beets, canned beans, Moser Chocolates 85% cocoa. Peanuts in a plastic jar. Sardines. I have a list of regular packages stuff I buy at Aldi's.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Bad news. Lucky's would have been a good addition to the choices. Aldi's just plain sucks. Its the Big Lots of grocery stores.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:00 AM

We all have some strong opinions about the grocery store line-up around here. They are fun to read.

I'm glad its becoming more diverse. When I lived here 25 years ago, we had Publix and Winn-Dixie, and I didn't know about Detweilers yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area