Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times

Advertisements

We need better organic and fresh food choices. We don't have any in Venice. Just so disappointed another store that already has locations in North Port and Nokomis is being built being here.

We need more choices, not fewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 02:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I've had issues with produce in that it looks fine when bought but if not used within 1 or 2 days, it goes bad. This happened more than once. I know people who go there for the seafood, though, because the prices are good, so I do understand the appeal. Some of their baked goods are good, some not so much.
There is more than appeal - it outsells most every other grocery store in the world by about 10X (per square foot)....and pays the employees from 50 to 70K.

They must be doing a lot right because people are not fools.

There is a great Freakonomics podcast about Trader Joes which talks about many of their secrets. One of them is something you may never guess - that is, many (maybe most) people DO WANT LESS CHOICE. Tests have been done on this....you'd have to listen to the podcast for the long story.

We are vegetarians and simple eaters so Farm Markets and Trader Joes easily does 90% of our supplying.....among the stuff there that is really good and reasonable....

1. They have English Fresh Peas and French String beans - which are super high quality.
2. Their fresh squeezed OJ beats any Florida juices I've ever had...at a better price.
3. Their 1/2 and 1/2 is organic (important since hormones and chemicals are concentrated in cream)..and cheap.
4. Their nuts are the best around - selection and price.
5. In terms of actually healthy frozen foods....they have a LOT of them.
6. Wines are very decent and well priced.

The produce, other than those few mentioned above, etc. is nothing to write home about - that's what Farm markets and Yoders and other stands are better for.

But I do understand that we eat simpler than most people do.

Also, I tend to think consumerism and materialism has gone WAY too far and, no, I don't want more and more and more stores and parking lots and "choice". If I were reincarnated I'd love to live in a French or Spanish village where I did most of my shopping at the local level. I don't need 89 varieties of toothpaste and 156 types of pasta.

I do like the tendency of most markets toward more fresh and organic things these days....many of my peers were/are involved in that movement (wholesale and growing organic stuff by the thousands of tons). It's a big change from even 3 decades ago when it was hard to find a lot of stuff like that.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
newtovenice was talking about Detweilers I believe and not Trader Joe's.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
newtovenice was talking about Detweilers I believe and not Trader Joe's.
Yes, I was. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is more than appeal - it outsells most every other grocery store in the world by about 10X (per square foot)....and pays the employees from 50 to 70K.

They must be doing a lot right because people are not fools.

There is a great Freakonomics podcast about Trader Joes which talks about many of their secrets. One of them is something you may never guess - that is, many (maybe most) people DO WANT LESS CHOICE. Tests have been done on this....you'd have to listen to the podcast for the long story.

We are vegetarians and simple eaters so Farm Markets and Trader Joes easily does 90% of our supplying.....among the stuff there that is really good and reasonable....

1. They have English Fresh Peas and French String beans - which are super high quality.
2. Their fresh squeezed OJ beats any Florida juices I've ever had...at a better price.
3. Their 1/2 and 1/2 is organic (important since hormones and chemicals are concentrated in cream)..and cheap.
4. Their nuts are the best around - selection and price.
5. In terms of actually healthy frozen foods....they have a LOT of them.
6. Wines are very decent and well priced.

The produce, other than those few mentioned above, etc. is nothing to write home about - that's what Farm markets and Yoders and other stands are better for.

But I do understand that we eat simpler than most people do.

Also, I tend to think consumerism and materialism has gone WAY too far and, no, I don't want more and more and more stores and parking lots and "choice". If I were reincarnated I'd love to live in a French or Spanish village where I did most of my shopping at the local level. I don't need 89 varieties of toothpaste and 156 types of pasta.

I do like the tendency of most markets toward more fresh and organic things these days....many of my peers were/are involved in that movement (wholesale and growing organic stuff by the thousands of tons). It's a big change from even 3 decades ago when it was hard to find a lot of stuff like that.
Fewer choice model is not new. Costco has built its brand using fewer choices of products for decades.

I would never consider TJ "simple" food, and quite frankly, do not know any who does except vegans. Everything is flavored by the flavor of the month. Pumpkin quinoa, coffee, soup, muffins, waffles, chips, chicken wings, etc. That's trendy, not simple. /shrug/

Not looking for wines, frozen foods, or nuts. Looking for basic FOOD to feed a family.

And when I mean CHOICE, I mean choice of stores. That have basic organic produce/meats/dairy at reasonable prices that won't go bad in 2 days when you bring it home. Because in Venice there are NO choices for that. Sigh.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Fewer choice model is not new. Costco has built its brand using fewer choices of products for decades.

I would never consider TJ "simple" food, and quite frankly, do not know any who does except vegans. Everything is flavored by the flavor of the month. Pumpkin quinoa, coffee, soup, muffins, waffles, chips, chicken wings, etc. That's trendy, not simple. /shrug/

Not looking for wines, frozen foods, or nuts. Looking for basic FOOD to feed a family.

And when I mean CHOICE, I mean choice of stores. That have basic organic produce/meats/dairy at reasonable prices that won't go bad in 2 days when you bring it home. Because in Venice there are NO choices for that. Sigh.
If I were you, I'd be shopping at WalMart in Osprey.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I do not trust the safety, handling, storage, and quality of Walmart produce, dairy, or meat by its employees or by its customers. YMMV. /shrug/

Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 5,880 times
in Wall street journal today, Earth Fare is closing - never thought the new one very near me in lwr was worth a crap anyway - good riddance imho

Old 02-09-2020, 03:29 PM

8,129 posts, read 4,649,585 times
Quote:
I do most of my shopping at the Walmart in Osprey and the Aldi in Nokomis. I also pick up a few bargains at the Dollar Tree in Osprey. Yesterday I was at the Walmart and I was kind of shocked to see that Walmart jacked up their price for a gallon of milk from $1.99 to $3.59! So either there is some kind of cow disease going around or Walmart is "giving up the ghost" on trying to compete with Aldi on price. It looked disorganized in the milk section - there was just a big sign that said: "All half - gallons of milk are $3.59" while on the shelf it said $2.15 for a gallon. It looks like they just recently changed it. And I figured it meant that the full gallons (not the half-gallons) were $3.59. And that's what mine rang up as at the register.

I haven't been to Aldi for a few weeks so I'm not sure if they raised their price for milk recently too. Last time I was there it was $1.99/gallon. I noticed many months ago Walmart milk was about $3.50/gallon and then for several months it went down to $1.99 gallon to exactly match the Aldi price. Same thing happend with bananas - many months ago Walmart charged .59 cents/lb. - and then for several months they marked their bananas down to .44 cents/lb. to exactly match the Aldi price. Now Walmart's bananas are back up to .59 cents per pound.

Looks like Walmart is feeling some "pressure" from Aldi - and they're doing some experimenting with their prices. IMO ultimately they won't be able to match/beat Aldi on most everyday prices. I expect Walmart prices to end up somwhere in the middle between what Publix and Aldi charges.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I do most of my shopping at the Walmart in Osprey and the Aldi in Nokomis. I also pick up a few bargains at the Dollar Tree in Osprey. Yesterday I was at the Walmart and I was kind of shocked to see that Walmart jacked up their price for a gallon of milk from $1.99 to $3.59! So either there is some kind of cow disease going around or Walmart is "giving up the ghost" on trying to compete with Aldi on price. It looked disorganized in the milk section - there was just a big sign that said: "All half - gallons of milk are $3.59" while on the shelf it said $2.15 for a gallon. It looks like they just recently changed it. And I figured it meant that the full gallons (not the half-gallons) were $3.59. And that's what mine rang up as at the register.

I haven't been to Aldi for a few weeks so I'm not sure if they raised their price for milk recently too. Last time I was there it was $1.99/gallon. I noticed many months ago Walmart milk was about $3.50/gallon and then for several months it went down to $1.99 gallon to exactly match the Aldi price. Same thing happend with bananas - many months ago Walmart charged .59 cents/lb. - and then for several months they marked their bananas down to .44 cents/lb. to exactly match the Aldi price. Now Walmart's bananas are back up to .59 cents per pound.

Looks like Walmart is feeling some "pressure" from Aldi - and they're doing some experimenting with their prices. IMO ultimately they won't be able to match/beat Aldi on most everyday prices. I expect Walmart prices to end up somwhere in the middle between what Publix and Aldi charges.
Aldi jacked up their price on a gallon of milk from $1.98 to $2.09. When I see an uptick like this, I buy 3 gallons and freeze 2.

I saw the same WalMart move you did to match Aldi for a while, but then WalMart retreated.

Aldi will wind up beating WalMart pricing for food items all the time. WalMart will have to rely upon the 1 stop shop advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area