U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,933 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are originally from Fort Lauderdale and are currently living in Phoenix AZ. We miss Florida so very much and plan on returning in the next couple months to the West Coast of Florida. We are a young couple between 26 & 34 with no children. My husband is in the engineering field and I'm an Admin Asst. We are having trouble deciding between Sarasota and Fort Myers. We don't want to pay exorbitant rent prices, however, we really don't want to live in a bad neighborhood. We would appreciate anyones opinions as to which they feel is a better place to live. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM

413 posts, read 1,148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucillo816 View Post
Hi, my husband and I are originally from Fort Lauderdale and are currently living in Phoenix AZ. We miss Florida so very much and plan on returning in the next couple months to the West Coast of Florida. We are a young couple between 26 & 34 with no children. My husband is in the engineering field and I'm an Admin Asst. We are having trouble deciding between Sarasota and Fort Myers. We don't want to pay exorbitant rent prices, however, we really don't want to live in a bad neighborhood. We would appreciate anyones opinions as to which they feel is a better place to live. Thanks.
Hi Pucillo816,
My wife and I recently bought in Sarasota. Check out my post "Just bought in Sarasota. Helpfuk hints." Our circumstances are different than yours as our kids are out of the house and we are 53 and 54. We chose the Palmer Ranch area Sarasota because of it's proximity to beaches, proximity to downtown, safety, convenient location and we enjoyed the people in the community. Sarastota has an active arts/culture environment. Schools were not an issue for us.
We chose the Sarasota area after having talked to a lot of people. We think we made the right choice. My wife is down there now setting things up.
Feel free to DM me if you wish.

Best,
smiledoc1

Old 04-22-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,933 times
Hi Smiledoc1

Thanks for your input I read your post "just bought in Sarasota" and I found it to be quite helpful. From what I have read on here it seems people have a higher opinion of Sarasota over Fort Myers. No matter what though there is no place like Florida. It's an amazing state which is why we can't wait to return.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM

321 posts, read 949,183 times
If you can afford Sarasota, it's the winner hands down. My hub & I are 35, no children, and love it.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,295,106 times
My wife and I recently relocated from Phoenix to SWFL. Please read my post under Renting in Florida. My may find it interesting. I too, don't recommend Ft. Myers and I think Sarasota is too big city for my taste. We are so glad to be away from the Phoenix traffic. Yesterday, we made a trip from PCH to Sarasota. The Monday afternoon traffic was terrible. We're perfectly happy in PCH.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM

4,830 posts, read 12,996,737 times
Quote:
I'm 46 and have lived downtown in Sarasota for the past year. At your ages with no children, you would love it. Sarasota is very clean downtown, like a smaller version of San Fransico. I, personally, love Ft. Lauderdale, but ended up building a home & raising my children on the west coast. If you like a big city feel with the ambiance of a small town, SRQ is it. There are many neighborhoods within the downtown district that are reasonable to rent and you can walk everywhere (good with the current way of rising gas prices). Reasonable rent downtown would be anywhere from $800 to $1,200.

Yes, sometimes the traffics bad during tourist season, I say, "get over it" it's Florida and that's the nature of the beast.

If you have more questions, you can PM me.

Jobs are hard to find, make sure your man has something lined up. As far as you, hit up Kelly Services,if your experience is good, you'll have an easier time going through them for an administrative position....figure on4-70 applicants here for admin. jobs...there were'nt even any hospitality positions in the herald yesterday,if that tells you how things are...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM

15,956 posts, read 33,679,512 times
Quote:
Sarasota is definitely the better of the two choices. My big concern for you are the jobs - it is ROUGH here - job cuts in the news everyday. Don't know if your hubby has one lined up, but if not, better research the situation. Tampa would be a better prospect for jobs.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM

5,807 posts, read 9,433,387 times
Smile SRQ - just a dumb question

Where does the "Q" come from in SRQ?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM

7,484 posts, read 20,906,394 times
I'm not sure how it came about but I do know that the Sarasota Airport is called the SRQ Airport. Like I said, I'm not sure where the Q came into to play.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

960 posts, read 1,462,740 times
What Airport Codes Mean

"PDX, LAX, SRQ, and CYS: The airport codes for Portland, Oregon; Los Angeles, California; Sarasota, Florida; and Cheyenne, Wyoming, respectively, do all have one thing in common. The last letter of each of these cities’ airport codes are just filler letters that mean nothing at all. Many airports with filler letters (like LAX) were around at a time when airport codes were only two letters long, before the explosive growth in aviation created the need for a longer code so more letter combinations would be available."

Interesting huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area