Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM

19 posts, read 27,099 times

Advertisements

My husband and I purchased a beautiful home in Fairfield County, CT a few years back. We absolutely love our house and New England surroundings in general. There is a lot to do here, including lots of short day trips. It's expensive but that's another discussion topic.

Our issue is the people. New Englanders are COLD. Neither of us grew up in NE, so we feel isolated and lonely. We have a young daughter and have hosted many playdates at our house... they are not reciprocated. I've asked about this and have been told multiple times that yes, NE people are really cold and insular and very clique-y in our area as well. Families tend to book their kids solid with after-school activities so there is no time for playdates anyway. There are no moms nights, or other opportunities to make new friendships.

We are conservative leaning and that only makes matters worse as cancel culture is alive and well in this area and we feel like we have to very careful about what we say or do as blackballing happens. I've been looking at meetup groups lately but I really feel like even if I were to go to one, I'd find myself surrounded with people who are aggressively hostile to people who don't think the same way they do.

We've vacationed in Siesta Key and love it in the Sarasota area. I know vacation is not real life, hence my question here.

Are Floridians friendlier? Someone told me that I'm going to find cold, materialistic people in any affluent area we might choose. I've always had the impression that once you got south of Pennsylvania, people are a lot nicer and open.

We're thinking of buying a 2nd home in Sarasota area (rent first, yes) just to give us some relief a few weeks/months of the year from the striving, competitive ambiance here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 01:02 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Just my opinion but I think your experience is not unusual at all. Our society has become so polarized (not just in the NE) that it is getting downright impossible to get past the cancel culture you mentioned. I readily admit that these are generalities of the greatest magnitude so take all of it with a grain or two of salt but I think you will find that there are more of the people you hope to find here since there are many people from the mid-west and south, of course, where I think people are, generally, friendlier. Having said that, though, we are not exceptional in this regard and we do have some polarization, too.

If you are the least bit religious, joining a church (or synagogue or what have you) will help tremendously. If that's not your style, you'll probably also do well to talk with PTO leaders in schools where you might consider renting to see if they can shed any light on the subject before committing to a rental. Youth sports is big here and parents tend to meet other parents through their kids activities.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:08 PM

386 posts, read 169,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGirl7 View Post
My husband and I purchased a beautiful home in Fairfield County, CT a few years back. We absolutely love our house and New England surroundings in general. There is a lot to do here, including lots of short day trips. It's expensive but that's another discussion topic.

Our issue is the people. New Englanders are COLD. Neither of us grew up in NE, so we feel isolated and lonely. We have a young daughter and have hosted many playdates at our house... they are not reciprocated. I've asked about this and have been told multiple times that yes, NE people are really cold and insular and very clique-y in our area as well. Families tend to book their kids solid with after-school activities so there is no time for playdates anyway. There are no moms nights, or other opportunities to make new friendships.

We are conservative leaning and that only makes matters worse as cancel culture is alive and well in this area and we feel like we have to very careful about what we say or do as blackballing happens. I've been looking at meetup groups lately but I really feel like even if I were to go to one, I'd find myself surrounded with people who are aggressively hostile to people who don't think the same way they do.

We've vacationed in Siesta Key and love it in the Sarasota area. I know vacation is not real life, hence my question here.

Are Floridians friendlier? Someone told me that I'm going to find cold, materialistic people in any affluent area we might choose. I've always had the impression that once you got south of Pennsylvania, people are a lot nicer and open.

We're thinking of buying a 2nd home in Sarasota area (rent first, yes) just to give us some relief a few weeks/months of the year from the striving, competitive ambiance here.

Thoughts?
We found the people in Florida VERY friendly, much more so than where we moved from up north! How about getting a second home in the Orlando area. You're daughter would LOVE that! We are not big beach people, there is just so much you can do to at the beach. Orlando really has so much to do, we don't even get to the beach!

Old 02-08-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Just my opinion but I think your experience is not unusual at all. Our society has become so polarized (not just in the NE) that it is getting downright impossible to get past the cancel culture you mentioned. I readily admit that these are generalities of the greatest magnitude so take all of it with a grain or two of salt but I think you will find that there are more of the people you hope to find here since there are many people from the mid-west and south, of course, where I think people are, generally, friendlier. Having said that, though, we are not exceptional in this regard and we do have some polarization, too.

If you are the least bit religious, joining a church (or synagogue or what have you) will help tremendously. If that's not your style, you'll probably also do well to talk with PTO leaders in schools where you might consider renting to see if they can shed any light on the subject before committing to a rental. Youth sports is big here and parents tend to meet other parents through their kids activities.
Oh, I know it's not unusual. I've had several online conversations about it and even some 'real life' convos as well. Maybe we should try a church in our area. The thing is, the people here are just so cold, I don't think even church changes it that much.

I try not to generalize but after 4 years of living here and having even locals/natives confirm that CT people are unfriendly, I think we are not generalizing but noting a fact.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
We found the people in Florida VERY friendly, much more so than where we moved from up north! How about getting a second home in the Orlando area. You're daughter would LOVE that! We are not big beach people, there is just so much you can do to at the beach. Orlando really has so much to do, we don't even get to the beach!
Thanks, we've always lived near the water and want to keep it that way. We're not really Disney people so Orlando doesn't have that much interest for us. We really enjoyed our stay in the Sarasota area though

Old 02-08-2020, 05:50 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
I'm not sure about the Venice area yet, but I have lived in S FL on the other side. I have the same issue here in GA living in a military town. People are so isolated and will not socialize whatsoever!! I miss our town where I would have to spend at least 1/2 hr extra going to Publix because someone would know you and want to chat. I feel so disconnected here and hope that I can get plugged in if we move.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I think people are very friendly in this area - I like to branch out and have all sorts of friends - one rule I follow is I never discuss politics or religion and live and let live - I have friends who are conservative and liberal friends too -

We used to live in Northern VA - oh my God - people were so cold and mean and unfriendly - they were mostly military and kept to themselves.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Keep in mind it really depends on WHERE in Florida you are. More people and faster pace on east coast as oppose to west coast. Also Sarasota is overwhelmed with snowbirds during season, and overall feels very transient. We lived there for 27 years so I know it very well. The overall age skews very old there, something I did not enjoy and I am old myself.

We have moved to Lakeland and it is the friendliest place I have ever seen. People are really happy here. Not coastal , but so many beautiful lakes it feels coastal. Community spirit and SUPER family friendly. I love seeing all the young families with their cute happy little kids! This town is known as a "playful city" and I have never seen so many recreational opportunities provided by the city for cheap or free. Kids here have it made, adults too.

I tell you all this because you really want to explore where you would want to live. Siesta/Sarasota is nice of course, but vacation is far from reality. Even though we only lived about 12 miles from there WE NEVER WENT due to extreme crowds, traffic and parking issues.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 AM

390 posts, read 397,385 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with the ABC show American Housewife? That's the vibe I was getting from your post and, sure enough, the city of depicted in the show (Westport) is in Fairfield County. So I agree, if you're dealing with people similar to those characters in the show, I don't think joining a church there will help much.

To answer your question, most of the people living here in Florida aren't really "Floridians" by birth to begin with - they are just people that came from somewhere else, too. So you'll still have a lot of those cold, materialistic people anywhere because people move. But this is also true for much friendlier types from elsewhere. It's like a giant melting pot. If you're looking only for "affluent" areas, you're going to have a higher likelihood of a-holes because money doesn't buy human decency. Or even class. It does seem to add a sense of entitlement, though. There's a saying about Florida that the further south you go in the state, the more northern it gets. I think you would probably do okay down here, though, as you'd have exposure to such a wide variety of people from around the country (and the world) as opposed to where you're living now.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 AM

105 posts, read 146,446 times
Outside of traffic along Die-75 everyone is super nice here. Sarasota is paradise. You'll love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area